Martin Luther King, Jr.

by Hongkham from Brooklyn Park

My name is Hongkham Soudaly and I have picked Martin Luther King Jr. as my hero. I think Martin Luther King Jr. is a great individual who greatly changed American history. He made his voice known to all in America and let everyone know what he was sent to do.

Martin Luther King Jr. started out as a young speaker for his father's church. From the start, his personality was filled with bravery and determination. Each of his words were listened to by many and they still are to this day, passed on from year to year. His thoughts have helped people to become better.

He was looked upon as a role model then and now. It shows how important he is to our lives. It brings questions up in my mind and maybe others' minds about how different life would be without his having said what he believed in. Would I have a right to say what's on my mind? Would you be able to do the things we do on a regular basis, such as riding a bus or drinking out of a water fountain, or swimming in a pool with people of different skin color? Without Martin Luther King Jr.'s bravery and his famous teachings and speeches, what would the commmunity have become? If he did not take that step forward, where would you be?

Martin Luther King Jr. had a dream that one day his children would "not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of the character." His dream has come true. I see it this way: Not only is he talking about his own two kids, but also accepting you and me and others as his kids. King has made the road a little bit clearer for you to go down. Now it is time for you to stand for what you believe in, to take your dreams above and beyond.

Read the Martin Luther King Jr. story - by the Three Amigos.
The King Center - Established in 1968 by Coretta Scott King, The King Center is the official, living memorial dedicated to the advancement of the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., leader of America’s greatest nonviolent movement for justice, equality and peace.
Martin Luther King - A biography by Rosemary Bray

Staci Proulx from Our Lady of Peace Elementary School writes:

Martin Luther King Jr. had a dream that his children and others would not have to grow up in the world he did. That is what he dreaded the most. Though he was assassinated, his dream still came true.

Martin Luther King Jr. is a hero to me because he spoke his mind. I am happy for what he did because he changed the world in a great way.

He was born in Atlanta, Georgia on Jan. 15, 1929.

Today we remember Martin Luther King Jr. and his famous words "I have a dream" all over North America. And those words and actions we will never forget.

King was assassinated on April 4, 1968, at the age of 39, four years after he won the Nobel Peace Prize.