Nicolas Ramirez Cabrales

by Nicolas from Tampico, Tamaulipas in Mexico

Hi, my name is Nicolas Loría, and I am going to talk about my family hero. I hope you enjoy it. He is a hero to my family. He was born in 1910 in Tampico, Tamaulipas. His name was Nicolas Ramirez Cabrales and he was my grandpa.

He studied his primary and junior high school at a school named “Gaja School.” Then after some time, he went to Mexico City to study surgery. He dedicated more than 50 years to medicine. He had a big heart, so he mostly helped the needy people, the ones who were poor. He didn’t care if they paid him with some oranges or cheese. He used to say that money wasn’t his satisfaction. His satisfaction was to see the people recovered and to feel the gratification of having really helped them.

He is a good example to me because even when he lost his parents at the age of 3, he became an admired person. He even took care of his brother’s sons because he died very young.

My grandpa was funny and he always had a smile on his face that reflected happiness. He was healthy and a great example of enthusiasm for living. Even when the doctors detected cancer, he still did a lot of exercise, like push-ups and abdominal exercises. He used to say that health was first above everything.

My grandpa died at the age of 87, but he’s still in our memories and always will be for the rest of our lives. When I grow up, I would like to have his patience and his wisdom for resolving problems. I know that it is hard, but he taught me that everything is possible; you just have to go for it and never give up.