Sammy Sosa and Roberto Clemente

by Matt from Mill Valley

A hero is a person with strong beliefs and good ideas. But a hero not only has beliefs and ideas, but puts the ideas into action. A hero shows goodness to all people, and is courageous. Often, heroes are brave enough to risk their lives for their beliefs. A great hero’s ideas and beliefs are so important, that they will never be forgotten. Two people I think are heroes are Sammy Sosa and Roberto Clemente.

Sammy Sosa is a hero to me because he is helping his hometown, the Dominican Republic. Sosa has found wealth in America. A lot of ballplayers would have forgotten about their home if they had Sammy’s fortune, but Sosa didn’t. He started the Sammy Sosa Foundation to help the Dominican Republic. In the end of the 1998 baseball season, he was fundraising to help restore damage that “Hurricane Georges” caused the Dominican. Besides playing baseball, helping the Dominican Republic is the biggest part of Sammy’s life.

Like Sammy Sosa, Roberto Clemente played baseball. Clemente passed away on December 31, 1972. Clemente is a hero to me because he died for a very noble cause. His baseball stats make him one of the best players in history, but his heart made him a hero. Each year, Roberto would go to his home town in Puerto Rico, and teach the children how to play baseball. Clemente coming to teach them was the highlight of these childrens’ year. In 1972, when he was 38 years old, Clemente died. He was going to Venesvela on a plane to help earthquake victims. Clemente was assisting the pilot when the plane spun out of control and crashed. Everybody on board was dead.

Sammy Sosa and Roberto Clemente are both Latin players that have impacted our society greatly. They have both won the Most Valuable Player award, which makes them sports legends. But what these players have done off the ball field makes them sports heroes.