Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of the NAACP

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) is the nation's oldest pre-eminent civil-rights organization. For the past 100 years the NAACP, based in Baltimore, MD since 1986, and hosting 1,700 units nationwide, has played a monumental role in leading social change in America.

The NAACP strives to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination. MY HERO honors the heroes of the NAACP and all those striving for racial equality.

W.E.B. Dubois

By: Jennifer Beck
W.E.B. Dubois was a leading 19th century writer and scholar.

Thurgood Marshall

By: Huava from St. Paul
Thurgood Marshall was the first African-American to serve on the U.S. Supreme Court.

Marian Wright Edelman

Marian Wright Edelman is one of the country's leading advocates for children.

Ruby Nell Bridges

By: Madison from Maine

Madam C.J. Walker

By: Alexandra from St. Paul
Madam C.J. Walker used her business success to fight discrimination and open doors for others.

Constance Baker Motley

By: Stephanie from New Haven
Constance Baker Motley broke through the discrimination against blacks, and was the first African-American judge.

Fay Clayton

By: Jennifer Beck
Attorney Fay Clayton has spent much of her 26-year career championing society’s victims.

Pearl S. Buck

Pearl S. Buck was a Nobel and Pulitzer Prize-winning writer founded the first international, inter-racial adoption agency.

Oprah Winfrey's Leadership Academy for Girls

By: Kathy Crockett
The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy is no doubt a dream world for these girls.

Azie Morton

By: Alex from Austin
Azie Morton valued education and gave back to her community.

Maxine Waters

By: Michelle from Hidden Hills
Maxine Waters is a Congresswoman who works fervently for her community.

Paul J. Adams III

By: Claudia Herrera Hudson
Paul J. Adams III is a passionate educator who built a nationally renowned prep school for African American students.

Van Jones

By: Rosemary Pritzker
Van Jones has found an effective way of addressing environmentalism and social justice by linking both issues.

John Lewis

By: Kathy Crockett <br>My Hero
John Lewis has worked for civil rights for all for over 40 years.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

By: John Lewis
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Congressman John Lewis talks about how Martin Luther King, Jr. inspired him as a young man during the Civil Rights Movement

Medgar Wiley Evers

By: Sina from Washington State
Medgar Wiley Evers worked to end racism in America.

Josephine Baker

By: Amélie from Lyon
Josephine Baker was a popular African American dancer in France, fought for civil rights and freedom against the Nazis.

Roger Nash Baldwin

By: <h4>AMERICAN NATIONAL BIOGRAPHY, <br>edited by John Garraty, <br>copyright 1...
Roger Nash Baldwin A pioneer in the struggle for civil justice.

Rosa Parks

By: Francisca Stewart
Rosa Parks made history when she refused to sit in the back of the bus.

The Greensboro Four

By: Maranda from Spokane
The Greensboro Four protested segregation with a sit-in at Woolworth's lunch counter.

The Little Rock Nine

By: Natasha from New Haven
The Little Rock Nine bravely fought discrimination to attend an all white high school in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Angela Davis

By: Alexia from Madison
Angela Davis is a leader, author, and professor who has fought for decades for human rights.

Inez Milholland Boissevain

By: Jennifer Beck Phemister

"Mr. President, how long must women wait for liberty?"

Florence Kelley

By: Megan from Yorkton
Florence Kelley was an outspoken leader against child labor.

Mary McLeod Bethune

By: Audrey from Mount Joy
Mary McLeod Bethune used education to help in the fight for racial and gender equality.

Josephine Ruffin

By: Brittney from New Haven
Josephine Ruffin served as the editor and publisher of the first newspaper published by and for African-American women.

Organizer created on 7/15/2009 5:08:18 AM by CLAUDIA HERREA-HUDSON

Last edited 2/14/2019 1:39:45 PM by Xenia Shin