SHOWCASE

Read Across America Day March 2

Read Across America Day is sponsored by The National Education Association and promotes the reading of book about children of color or of different gender identities

Credit: Lubos Houska via Pixabay

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for Read Across America. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Stories

The following authors create vivid worlds for their young readers and increase representation in literature. 

Alice Walker

By: Adrienne from Ohio
Alice Walker is a Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist and best known for "The Color Purple." She is also a political activist.

Amy Tan

By: Erin from Spokane
Amy Tan is a bestselling novelist and an advocate of Lyme disease research.

Anita Lobel

By: Melissa from Grand Rapids

Harper Lee

By: Kenya from Marathon
Harper Lee is the author of To Kill a Mockingbird, a novel of the South.

George Bernard Shaw

By: Kharissa from Palmer
George Bernard Shaw was an Irish playwright, theater critic and social activist.

Erin Gruwell

By: Will

Inner city teacher Erin Gruwell used books by teens, such as "The Diary of Anne Frank," to connect to her students. They in turn wrote their own stories, which she published in a book called "The Freedom Diaries."

Toni Morrison

By: Demeshia from St. Louis

Toni Morrison was an award-winning novelist whose stories helped people of all races understand the black experience. For young adults, this includes her book "The Bluest Eye."

George Orwell

By: Sadie Cook
George Orwell was an English writer who spoke out against a totalitarian government through dystopian stories.

J.K. Rowling

By: Lauren Gibbons

Lewis Carroll

By: Emma George
Lewis Carroll was an English author most known for the popular novel Alice in Wonderland, which was written in 1865.

POETS

Amanda Gorman: The Poet Who Healed a Nation

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel
Amanda Gorman, America's first Youth Poet Laureate, recited the original poem "The Hill We Climb" at the inauguration of President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris.

Elizabeth Acevedo

By: Deborah Neff
Afro-Latina poet Elizabeth Acevedo writes about her own people for young adult readers and adults alike.

Interview with Imtiaz Dharker

Kitty Richardson
Interview with award-winning British poet Imtiaz Dharker on her journey with poetry, her creative process and facing injustice within the industry.

Maya Angelou: One Who Turned Her Life into an Inspiration

By: Chloe Lee
Credit: mh

Dr. Seuss Is a Hero to This High School Student

Read Across America Day was established on the birthday of Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel). He was a cartoonist, poet, and children's book author. He published over 60 books, including "The Cat in the Hat" and "Green Eggs and Ham."

Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss)

By: Daniel from Sulphur

Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss) is an acclaimed children's author and poet who has delighted children and adults around the world.

Art

Alice Walker by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Alice Walker, African American author of Color Me Purple, painted by Robert Shetterly

Celebrating We the Future-Amanda Gorman

By: Kate Deciccio

Amanda Gorman, Young Leader of Social Change, was named 2015 National Youth Poet Laureate. Art for the Amplifier Foundation

Maya Angelou

By: Sergio Benenson

Maya Angelou was a memoirist, poet, activist, and singer. She is best known for her memoir "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings," which provided a voice for young women of color.

Reading in the Garden

By: September McGee

Portrait of Poetess Anna Akhmatova

By: Natan Altman
This is a portrait of Anna Akhmatova, created by Natan Altman.

Film

BUTTERFLY IN THE SKY tells the story of the beloved PBS children’s series "Reading Rainbow," its iconic host LeVar Burton, and the challenges its creators faced in cultivating a love of reading through television. 

Butterfly in the Sky [excerpt]

Brett Whitcomb & Bradford Allen

Tells the story of "Reading Rainbow" and its iconic host LeVar Burton.

This selection of short winning films from the MY HERO International Film Festival feature remarkable heroes who bring opportunities for reading books to underserved across the globe.

Biblioburro: The Donkey Library

Producer: Valentina Canavesio

Luis Soriano, a teacher in the small town of La Gloria, Colombia, travels on the back of his donkey, bringing with him books for children of the rural communities.

2023 Global Educator - Martin Smatana

By: Union Square & Co
Martin shares about creating his book A YEAR OF GOOD NEWS!

Velo Visionaries - Alicia Tapia

Kristin Tieche

In Episode 3 of Velo Visionaries, we talk/ride with Alicia Tapia, creator of Bibliobicicleta, a free library on wheels that can be found weekly in San Francisco.

Iqra - Read (A Prayer for the Girls of Afghanistan and Pakistan)

Producer: Fauzia Minallah
This film promotes the education of the girl child in Afghanistan and Pakistan through Mural Art.

Enjoy this short animated film about the joy of reading

Binding Adventures

Mikylah Spangenberg
June and Timothy Watts are late for their train. What will the rest of their adventure entail?

Listen and Read Along: Stories with Text and Audio

Luis Soriano Bohorquez

By: Ryan from San Diego

Luis Soriano Bohorquez started the Biblioburro Library in the mountains of Colombia. [This story is also available in Spanish.]

Links

Our Curators

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Story Director Abigail Richardson.

Audio curated by MY HERO Audio director Stu Pearlman. 

Organizer created on 2/18/2014 5:33:44 AM by Becky Miller

Last edited 2/7/2024 1:01:49 PM by Abigail Richardson