Celebrating the best of humanity, one story at a time.
Visit our Facebook Visit our Twitter

Winning Films
Vital Voices: Hawa Abdi - Kenya/USA
Dr. Hawa Abdi is Somalia's first female gynecologist. When the central government collapsed in 1989, Dr. Abdi's one-room clinic on her family farm began treating and housing local people fleeing the fighting.
Producer: Aaron Kisner
I'll take it from here... Because I'm a Girl - Malawi / UK
One in three girls around the world is denied an education by the daily realities of poverty, conflict or discrimination.
Producer: Raj Yagnik, Shona Hamilton
Hummingbird [excerpt from dirt! THE MOVIE] - USA
Wangari Maathai shares a simple story to illustrate a powerful point.
Producer: Bill Benenson, Gene Rosow and Eleonore Dailly
Sea Fever - UK
A poetic & musical expression of connecting to the mighty sea.
Producer: Tim Davies

Facebook Stories - The Conditioned - USA / Brazil
Raimundo Arruda Sobrinho was homeless in Brazil, for nearly 35 years. In April 2011, he was befriended by a young woman named Shalla Monteiro. Impressed by his poetry she created a Facebook Page to feature Raimundo’s writing. Neither could have expected what happened next.
Producer: Facebook Stories - Michael Marantz
Waves for Water - USA
Waves for Water's mission is to get access to clean water to those in need around the world.
Producer: Aaron Flynn & HURLEY
One World One Ocean - USA
One World One Ocean campaign inspires stewardship of the sea.
Producer: MacGillivray Freeman Films
About Dan Eldon - USA
Dan Eldon was a photojournalist who used his creativity to effect positive change for those in need. He was killed while on assignment in Somalia, but his spirit lives on in the Creative Visions Foundation, founded by his mother and sister.
Producer: Jason Russell

SLINGSHOT - United States
Best known for his Segway Personal Transporter, inventor Dean Kamen is taking on great challenges one invention at a time. SlingShot is the story of Kamen, his water purification technology, and his innovative approach to the safe water crisis.
Producer: Paul Lazarus
Mobilize Me - USA / Zambia
The first in a series of five shorts about the power of the bicycle. Produced for World Bicycle Relief on location in Zambia.
Producer: Jacob Seigel-Boettner
Curt Lowens: A Life of changes - USA
The Righteous Conversations Digital Storytelling Workshop brings to the screen Holocaust Survivor Curt Lowens' story of escape and resistance during World War II.
Producer: Justin Binder, August Blum, Robert Carlson, Levi Glaser, George Khabbaz, Kayla Mossanen, Tammy Shine
Bella Gaia - USA
Bella Galia means Beautiful Earth. Producer Kenji Williams came up with the idea after meeting an astronaut who lived on a space station for 6 months.
Producer: Kenji Williams

Hands Up Don't Shoot - USA
Nashville students, Queen McElrath and team show love and talent for Michael Brown and the people of Ferguson Missouri.
Producer: RAP ARTIST:Queen McElrath, DIRECTOR: Aniea Cody, PRODUCER: Todd Young - Teacher/Mentor
Biblioburro: The Donkey Library -
Luis Soriano, a teacher in the small town of La Gloria, Colombia, travels on the back of his donkey, bringing with him books for children of the rural communities...
Producer: Valentina Canavesio
Lost and Found [Trailer] - USA/Uganda
'Lost and Found' is about a couple, former teachers from Oregon. who travel to Uganda on a whim and fall in love with a group of orphans who would turn their world upside-down.
Producer: Sandy Cummings
The Dream of Life - Alan Watts - Australia
Visualizing an inspiring and profound speech from the late Alan Watts.
Producer: Isaac Blencowe

Right To Play - [Excerpt] - USA
Olympian Johann Olav Koss embarked on a remarkable journey to use sports to improve the lives of African children.
Producer: Frank Marshall
The Kelp Lady - USA
The Kelp Lady features marine biologist Nancy Caruso.
Producer: Anabelle Vo
Saving the Canyon with Mary Fegraus - USA
Mary Fegraus is a respected Laguna Beach resident due to her tireless efforts to preserve the Laguna Greenbelt.
Producer: Wendy Milette
Erica Fernandez: The Tool of Protest - USA
A young girl defends her community for corporate polluters.
Producer: The Center for Advancing Unity & The Working Group

Azim Khamisa: The Tool of Forgiveness - USA
A grieving father overcomes tragedy by creating something beautiful in his son's name.
Producer: The Institute for Advancing Unity/The Working Group
Slater Jewell-Kemker: Youth Reporter and Activist Filmmaker - USA
Slater Jewell-Kemker is inspired to use media for expressing her activist voice.
Producer: The Unity Center
Locks - USA
A touching story that reminds us not to be limited by preconceived notions.
Producer: Ryan Coogler
ABC Miracle Workers -
Dr. Holland, an opthalmologist helped Todd Heritage, blind since childhood, to see again.
Producer: DreamWorks Television and Renegade 83: The My Hero Media Award

More great films
The Ocean We Want To Know - USA
One World One Ocean's new animated video celebrates the wonders of the ocean with stunning facts about our connection to the planet's lifeline.
Producer: Macgillivray Freeman Films
Pray the Devil Back to Hell - excerpt -
This important documentary sheds light on the "Womens Peace Movement of Liberia," and celebrates these unsung heroes. (excerpt)
Producer: Abigail Disney (Producer) and Gini Reticker (Director)
A Declaration of Interdependence - USA
Award Winning Director Tiffany Shlain crowd sources her revision of the Declaration of Independence as A Declaration of Interdependence!
Producer: Tiffany Shlain and Global participants
Cookie Girl in the Hot Zone - USA
A post-9/11 portrait of a young girl who baked and served cookies to the workers coming and going to the World Trade Center site.
First aired on WGBH and Zoom's program America's Kids Respond

Producer: Skip Blumberg

FAMBUL TOK (Family Talk) [Trailer] - USA
Using the safety of the family circle to heal a nation.
Producer: Sara Terry
Seva Origins -
Seva is a Sanskrit word meaning "selfless service." It is helping others as a spiritual practice. To date, this organization has saved the eyesight of over 3.5 million people who would otherwise have gone blind.
Producer: Will Parrinello
No Child Left Deprived - USA
A young, inner-city public school student named Jaden takes a stand against his principal after the school's art teacher has been fired for choosing to teach art instead of the state-mandated, standardized test.
Producer: Mark Manalo
Losing Nemo - Netherlands
Most people are aware that the oceans aren't doing so well, but what is going on exactly?
Producer: Produced by: TÃnde Vollenbroek / Directed by: Douwe van der Werf

Thembi's Diary - USA
A wonderful evocation of a young African's refusal to let AIDS define her life.
Producer: Jisoo Kim
Composition For Sustained Rain - Argentina
The leaks of a house become the perfect excuse for an aquatic symphony.
Producer: Groupo Humus from ARGENTINA
Playing For Change: Peace Through Music - The WORLD
Playing for Change | Peace through Music
Producer: Mark Johnson & Jonathan Walls
Turning The Tide - USA
Life originates from sea. Now the ocean needs us. It is our moment to turn the tide.
Producer: Peter Stonier & John Martin

Don't Give it All Away - Canada
Slater uses this wonderful song by World Party to promote youth activism.
Producer: Slater Jewell-Kemker
Florence Jones: Embrace Culture - USA
A spiritual leader fights to preserve the culture of her people.
About Ron Kovic - USA
Ron Kovic is veteran, author, artist, and speaker who has spent decades advocating for peace.
Producer: The MY HERO Project
Mr. Blue Sky - USA
An imaginative interpretation of the ELO song Mr. Blue Sky.
Producer: Michael Patterson & Candace Reckinger - Song by ELO

The Chameleon's True Colors - USA
A colorful chameleon learns to be himself in a fun song that celebrates diversity, individuality and friendship.
Producer: Carolyn Downie
The Class of Rowdies - India
What happens when a young teacher meets a class of rowdies?
Producer: Nitin Das
Traveller - Iran
Story of a traveller who is asking herself symbolic questions about the meaning of life along the road.
Producer: Sam Chegini
Eagle Eyes - USA, Peru
Overcoming a history of traumatic violence, Ruth Buendía united the Asháninka people in a powerful campaign against large-scale dams that would have once again uprooted indigenous communities still recovering from Peru’s devastating civil war.
Producer: Will Parrinello

The Last Iceman of Chimborazo - USA, Ecuador
For over 50 years, Baltazar Ushca has harvested the ice of Ecuador’s Mount Chimborazo. His job is disappearing along with the glacier.
Producer: Gabriela Lozada Pozo
Synthetic Seas - USA
13 people from different walks of life board a research vessel to explore the South Atlantic Gyre and learn more about the constantly worsening problem of plastic pollution.
Producer: Jody Lemmon
Believe - USA
Tommy Carroll Dreams, Believes, and Achieves in this heartwarming, documentary-adapted music video. Music by Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Producer: Logan Cascia - Music by Trans-Siberian Orchestra
ECO Hero Rap - USA
Students in the Celebrate ECO Heroism Program at the Laguna Beach Boys and Girls Club collaborated on this song with the help of musician, Stu Pearlman.
Producer: Wendy Milette & Boys and Girls Club of Laguna Beach

Heartbeat of the Earth - Canada
The Earth needs us and we need the Earth.
Producer: The Dreamteam
Picture the World - Canada
Picture A World of Peace
Producer: The Dreamteam

Resources

©2013 The My Hero Project, Inc. All rights reserved. Technical errors or questions? support@myheroproject.org

.
Support Us