Films and Stories

The General Assembly declared April 12 as the International Day of Human Space Flight “to celebrate each year at the international level the beginning of the space era for mankind, reaffirming the important contribution of space science and technology in achieving sustainable development goals and increasing the well-being of States and peoples, as well as ensuring the realization of their aspiration to maintain outer space for peaceful purposes.”

12 April 1961 was the date of the first human space flight, carried out by Yuri Gagarin, a Soviet citizen. This historic event opened the way for space exploration for the benefit of all humanity.

Bella Gaia

Produced by:Kenji Williams
Bella Galia means Beautiful Earth. Producer Kenji Williams came up with the idea after meeting an astronaut who lived on a space station for 6 months.

The Hardworking and Fearless Katherine Johnson

By: Khushi Sarolia
Katherine Johnson plotted multiple flight courses for NASA, including the course of the Apollo 11 spacecraft, which is famous for having been the first spaceship to reach the moon

Stories

Margot Lee Shetterly: Shining a Light on Hidden Figures

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel
Margot Lee Shetterly is the author of "Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race."

Diana Trujillo

By: Abigail Richardson
From housekeeper to aerospace leader Diana Trujillo is an inspiration to Latina engineers around the world!

Alyssa Carson: A Future in Mars

By: Jennifer Yoshikoshi

Ellen Ochoa

By: Daniel Chavez
Ellen Ochoa was the first Hispanic woman astronaut.

Mae Jemison

By: Christian Walsh
Mae Jemison dreamed of going to space since childhood.

John Glenn

By: Kathy Crockett
John Glenn was the first American to orbit the earth.

Yuri Gagarin

By: Gleb from Victoria
"Orbiting Earth in the spaceship, I saw how beautiful our planet is. People, let us preserve and increase this beauty, not destroy it!"

Valentina Tereshkova

By: Alina from Novosibirsk
Valentina Tereshkova is the first woman and first civilian to fly in space.

Neil A. Armstrong

By: Soo Han from San Diego
Neil A. Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon.

Sally Ride

By: Sara

Guion S. Bluford, Jr.

By: Jonathan from Michigan

Christa McAuliffe

By: Susannah Abbey
Christa McAuliffe was the first teacher to fly in space.

Ellison S. Onizuka

By: Jeff Liu
Ellison S. Onizuka has a legacy that continues to live on after the Challenger disaster.

Commander Chris Hadfield

By: Wendy Jewell from The My Hero Project
Commander Chris Hadfield is the first Canadian to become the commander of the International Space Station.

Franklin Chang Diaz

By: Emma Navajas
Franklin Chang Diaz is a Costa Rican and American veteran of seven Space Shuttle missions.

Julie Payette

By: Jillian from Calgary

Judith A. Resnik

By: Alyssa from Ohio
Judith A. Resnik inspired others with her determination to become a scientist and an astronaut.

Kathy Sullivan

By: Raquel Diaz-Sprague<br><h5> Reprinted with permission from <br>the <a href=h...
Kathy Sullivan was the first American woman to walk in space.

Bonnie Dunbar

By: Kristine from Everson
Bonnie Dunbar helped start a scholars program to inspire students to pursue careers in aerospace and engineering.

Chiaki Mukai

By: Claudia Herrera Hudson
Chiaki Mukai is the first female Japanese astronaut.

Jim Lovell

By: Kevin from Knightdale
Jim Lovell responded quickly and calmly during crises on two Apollo missions.

Yury Usachev

By: Vera from Korolev

Art

Katherine Coleman Goble Johnson is an African-American physicist and mathematician who made contributions to the United States' aeronautics and space programs with the early application of digital electronic computers at NASA
Katherine Johnson
Credit: Saint George

John Glenn

By: Ronan from Westerville

Alan Bean with Lunar Soil

By: NASA

Discovery Lifts Off

By: NASA/Tony Gray and Tom Farrar

Space Shuttle - April 1983

By: NASA

Ellen Ochoa

By: Daniel Chavez
As the first Hispanic female astronaut and a co-inventor of three patents, Ellen Ochoa is a shining example of female empowerment.
My Hero Gagarin
Credit: Ambrusevich

Links

Our Curators

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Audio curated by MY HERO Audio director Stu Pearlman. 

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editors and Story Directors Deborah Neff and Abigail Richardson.

Organizer created on 4/8/2015 12:58:52 PM by Becky Miller

Last edited 3/12/2024 12:58:38 PM by Abigail Richardson