Dave J. Pelzer

by Brielle from USA

What is a hero? A hero doesn’t have to be famous or be a millionaire. A hero can be someone who has accomplished amazing deeds, helped others, and inspired many people all around the world. My hero is Dave Pelzer. He was born in the 1960’s. He grew up in Daly City, California. Today Dave lives in Southern California with his wife and son.

When Dave was about five years old, his mother started to abuse him physically and mentally. His mother would starve him if he did something wrong, like taking his hands out of the boiling hot water that he had to wash the dishes in. He would sometimes have to sleep in the basement without a blanket in freezing cold weather. His teachers risked their jobs to try and help him. Dave was removed from his home at age twelve. After Dave was removed from his home, he went into foster care until he was eighteen years old and then joined the Air Force.

Today, Dave is a great author. He has written many books. They are called A Child Called “It”, The Lost Boy, and A Man Named Dave. These books have inspired many people.

Dave has won many awards. Some of awards are the JC Penney Golden Rule Award, and The Points of Light Award in April 22, 2003. He was also the California Volunteer of the Year. In 1993, he was one of the Ten Outstanding Young Americans. A year later, he was named the Outstanding Young Person of the World. He also carried the coveted flag for the Olympics. These awards were great honors.

When Dave was eighteen, he enlisted in the Air Force. Dave participated during the Desert Storm War against Iraq. Currently, Dave goes to schools around the U.S. He talks to students about child abuse prevention, drug and alcohol awareness, and personal responsibility. This program is called “Youth at Risk.” He has helped and touched many children’s lives around the world.

I feel that Dave is important because he has accomplished many things. I would describe Dave as inspirational, helpful, caring, and kind. Dave has made a difference in my life, as well as many others. He has done this by showing people to never give up and to be a better person. Dave lives by his motto, which is “Helping others...to help themselves.”