Anne Morrow Lindbergh

by Jenna from Williamsville

Many people think that Anne Morrow Lindbergh was famous because she was the wife of Charles A. Lindbergh. But truly she was much more than that, she is a hero!Anne Morrow Lindbergh was born on June 22nd 1906 .Anne growing up had three siblings, Elisabeth, Dwight Jr., and Constance. Dwight Jr. was named after her father Dwight Morrow and Elisabeth was named after her mother Elizabeth Cutter Morrow. All together they were the Morrow family. At the age of nine Anne already traveled to the Bahamas and Europe. In 1919 the Morrow’s moved to a New York City apartment and thirteen-year-old Anne began school at Miss Chapin’s School for Girls. Anne was a good student. She was brilliant and honest. Anne was always not afraid to answer even the hardest of questions. Since she was so well-rounded Anne was elected president of student council. But she didn’t feel confident. When Miss Chapin asked the girls what their future goal was Anne never second guessed herself, “I want to marry a hero!” she cried.

Charles Lindbergh, a special hero. Anne’s father thought Anne would certainly like him. Anne did not pay much attention to Charles at first. “I can’t treat him as a (n) ordinary person and I will not treat him as and extraordinary person either!” Anne writes in her journal. Anne could tell Charles felt stiff and awkward towards her. “I’d almost always rather listen than talk.” Charles exclaims to Anne one night. It took Anne a short amount of time to realize that Charles thought all is life he wanted to fly and marry a hero too. The next morning Charles offered to take Anne’s family (Morrow’s) on a flight. After that Anne could think of nothing else. She was thrilled with his sensational flying. She knew she had to fly again! In the fall of 1928 Charles and Anne went on another flight together .They flown three times in North-Hampton. Anne started to feel quite comfortable around him. Later that week Charles and Anne took a flight over New York City and New Jersey, landing back on Long Island. A year later (1929) at the age of twenty-two Anne announced to Charles that she loved him and wanted to marry him. She honestly felt that he was a hero; the feeling was mutual to Charles. Anne soon after her confession went and her doctor said she was pregnant. Even though at that time Anne was happy being married and having a baby boy, soon she had a family to take care of, she had herself to take care of first. But Anne didn’t know she had lots of challenges yet to come! In a sort matter of time Anne heard that her beloved father, Dwight, had passed away (died), Anne was completely devastated so (since she knew how to fly from Charles teaching her in the past) she flew to New York City unknowing that her sister Elisabeth had called saying she was in the hospital because she had a disease valve in her heart which was making her much weaker than normal.

When Anne got back from her flight alone, Charles told her the bad news. It was hard for Anne since her father just died but a light of happiness shined when baby Charles (Charlie) was finally born on June 22nd 1930.At that time Charles and Anne started getting along much better now that the baby, Charles (Charlie), was born. It gave them more to talk about. Charles didn’t spend most of his time with the baby because he had to fly. So Anne was home helping the little guy. When Anne had to leave the house she would have to take baby Charles with her. He would scream and cry even when they went to the town’s local general (grocery) store which was at least 15, 20 minutes away. Anne and Charles decided that they should get a house-keeper who can take care of the house and watch the baby. Indeed they did and her name was, Betty Gow.

On a Tuesday evening, March 1st, Anne and Charles left the house and went out to dinner. Not long after they left, baby Charles, was put to sleep. A few minutes later Betty goes upstairs to check on him at eight o’clock and found him sleeping quietly. Around eight thirty, Charles and Anne arrived home. Anne started to write in her journal and Charles read a book in his study. Both unaware that Betty was lying down on the job while she should be checking on the baby. When Anne her a noise outside from the upstair window were Charles Jr. was sleeping, she became curious and went up to see what the noise was. She found Betty napping in the den. “Betty!” she cries as she startles Betty waking her up from her snooze. “The baby! The baby!” Betty screams as she runs to his crib, with Anne following right behind her. It’s ten o’clock exact when the two of them arrive in the bedroom. The crib was empty. Anne lifted his blankets, felt around the crib, and found absolutely nothing. Betty raced back downstairs to see if Charles had taken the baby to his study. Charles said no. Unknowing what is going on Charles rushed to the crib and searched the crib one last time before shouting, “Anne someone has stolen our baby!”

Later that night Charles made constant phone calls to the police. Anne tried to look on the positive by telling Charles she was almost certain that the baby would be returned, unharmed. But Anne searched the house until a letter was found on top of the radiator in the baby’s room, no one touched it until the police scanned it for the kidnapper’s finger prints. The police found nothing except that the kidnapper stole not just the baby but, fifty thousand dollars from the Lindbergh’s safe .Within less than an hour the state and local police joined in their search for baby Charlie and the stolen money. The kidnapper was found but demanded the same money that he stole from Anne and Charles. When Anne opened the letter that was in the baby’s room she read it: This is your warning. If you call the police on me (if you find me) The child is dead! So if you are smart, don’t call!!! -anonymous With sheer frustration Charles assumes that Betty was the one who should be blamed for not doing her job and getting the baby kidnapped. So he decided that Betty should be fired also banned from the Lindbergh residents until the baby if found, alive! Anne was devastated without the baby, to get her mind off of it Anne went on a flight around the town. On that flight she saw something nearby her house that looked suspicious. She lands the plane gets in her car and drives to the spot she thought she saw something. She found, a dead baby lying in a bush. She carefully examines the baby and its clothes, she thinks’ that it’s baby Charles! She quickly calls the police and tells them to come to her ware bouts. They check to see what was wrong with the baby. And figured out that it had died a few minutes after it was taken. The baby got dropped from the high window and broke its skull. The kidnapper then threw the dead baby body in a bush close to Anne’s house to hide what he/she has done. The letter was written before the baby’s death, also before the kidnapper was found. Actually the kidnapper didn’t intend on killing the baby boy he supposedly dropped the baby on the way down the ladder. That was the loud noise that made Anne go upstairs. The repeating challenges and troubles in Anne’s soon came to an end after the kidnapping. She continued to think of him every day, capturing his lovable smiling face. After the loss of her baby, Anne tried to find the meaning in her life. As her birthday came up it reminded her of Charlie (because birthday was the same day).

unfinished - created 1/2010