A Unsung Hero

by Faisal Ali Baig from Pakistan

"The hero cannot expire,the death still play their part" Charles Sangster.

Mohammad Ali Sadpara is one of the Unsung Hero of Pakistan. Muhammad Ali Sadpara was a Pakistani high-altitude mountaineer, born on February 2, 1976, in the village of Sadpara near Skardu, Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan. He started his mountaineering career as a porter, carrying equipment for climbing expeditions, before eventually becoming a renowned climber in his own right. He is the only Pakistani to be able to climb 8 of the world's 14 highest mountains.

In 2016, Sadpara made the first-ever winter ascent of the world's 9th highest peak, Nanga Parbat. This achievement of Sadpara made him famous in Pakistan and around the world.

In January 2021, a group of Nepali Mountaineers climbed the K2 in winter and made the world record. He considered K2 as his own mountain that's why he was unhappy about this world record.

Later on February 4, Muhammad Ali Sadpara along with his son Sajid Sadpara, Iceland’s John Snorri and Chile’s Juan Pablo Mohr started their journey to ascent the world’s 2nd-highest mountain without Oxygen cylinder to set a new world record. Sajid Ali Sadpara retreated before the summit attempt when his oxygen regulator malfunctioned. He returned safely to the Camp. 

Sadpara and his companions continued the journey and they successfully climbed the Mountain but on returning they lost their connection and went missing on 5 February. On February 18, Sadpara and his companions were considered dead. He has inspired thousands of young mountaineers to work for their passion and to believe in themselves. Sadpara is remembered as a hero in Pakistan and in the international community of mountaineers. 

He called himself the son of the mountains, which is probably why K2 hid him in its foothills.