ABOUT

Media Arts Education - Salon Series

THE HERB ALPERT EDUCATIONAL VILLAGE - NEW ROADS SCHOOL
CAPSHAW-SPIELBERG CENTER FOR ARTS AND EDUCATIONAL JUSTICE: LEADERSHIP CENTER

Speakers, films, art and music celebrate local and global heroes. The Salon showcases content and heroes from the MY HERO archive. Organizers who want to host an event in their community can check the MY HERO online calender for themes on a certain month/time of year and contact MY HERO for content to enrich Salons in homes schools or community centers in their area.

In January 2013, The MY HERO Project and its Media Arts Education Program was selected to be one of ten nonprofit organizations to be housed at The Capshaw-Spielberg Center for Arts and Educational Justice in Santa Monica, the cornerstone structure of The Herb Alpert Educational Village.

To introduce our award-winning programs to the general public, The MY HERO Project inaugurated a Salon Series, an educational community forum, on the Third Thursday of each month at the Herb Alpert Educational Village. The MY HERO Salons provide guest speakers, film screenings, art exhibitions, musical performances and interactive discussions with professional writers, filmmakers and visual and performing artists. Each Salon is devoted to a theme that echoes the Capshaw-Spielberg Center’s commitment to education and social justice.

Host your own Salon. The MY HERO team will provide support in the form of media and suggested speakers to help groups create their own MY HERO Salon, these inspiring community events honnor heroism locally and globally.

Joanne Tawfillis founder of Art Miles Mural Project and Wendy Milette, Director of MY HERO Media Arts
David Milch reads poetry of Robert Penn Warren at the Poetry and Jazz Salon
Paul Cummins interviewed by The Santa Barbara Teen Press at the MY HERO Poetry Salon
Stu Pearlman Jazz Trio performed for Jazz History Month Salon