Alexandra Scott

by Netia G. from Boston, Ma

Alexandra Flynn Scott, angel of God
Alexandra Flynn Scott, angel of God

A hero is someone who protects another person who cannot defend him or herself. They are like role models. Heroes do not always have to be strong. They can be the weakest person in the world, but they are still brave, kind, caring and courageous. My hero is Alexandra Flynn Scott. She lived in Wynnewood, Pennsylvania. She was born January 18, 1996.

My hero was a little girl. She did not have a job, but she still kept herself busy. Alex used to sell lemonade in front of her school called Penn Wynne Elementary. The average child would sell lemonade to save up for a bike, a doll or a video game, but not Alex. She was different in a special way. When she sold lemonade, it was because she was trying to save up to one million dollars for cancer research.

Alex was diagnosed two days before her first birthday (1/18/97) with a childhood cancer called neuroblastoma. Neuroblastoma is one of the most common solid tumors of early childhood, usually found in babies or young children's sympathetic nervous tissue.(Sympathetic: Relating to or being vibrations, especially musical tones, produced in one body by energy from a nearby vibrating body and having the same frequency as the vibration of the nearby body. Nervous tissue: tissue composed of neurons.)

Alex was a hero who does not come around that often. She was not selfish and she always thought of others before herself. She was a very courageous little girl who tried to save money for other sick kids who suffered with cancer. She wanted every child who was diagnosed with any type of cancer to have an opportunity to be treated so they would be able to live full and happy lives.

She is important to me because she reminds me that, no matter what age you are, you still can make a difference. Like me, Alexandra did not take life for granted. She believed that just being happy and making the best of life is what really matters. She made a difference not only in my life, but in others too. Everyone respected what Alex was doing, so now Alex's Lemonade Stand is in all fifty states. At the age four, she was inspired by the famous saying, “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” On August 1, 2004 Alexandra passed away at her home. Wherever she is right now I know she loved herself for who she was and what she had. Alexandra was an angel of God sent down from above to make a difference in the lives of children who are diagnosed with childhood cancer.

Alex's Lemonade Stand - Alex's 2004 goal of $1 million has been reached! Thank you to all who helped this dream come true.

http://www3.caringbridge.org/page/alexscott/