Women Transforming Media

Vinessa Antoine

by Dee Madison from Toronto, Ontario in Canada

Did you know that only 13% of actors are black? Also, that only 46% of actors are women. That may seem like a lot but that's still less than half. An astounding woman named Vinessa Antoine fits both of those categories in her career, life, and accomplishments.

Vinessa was in very popular TV shows such as Ginny and Georgia, Being Erica, Hudson and Rex, and General Hospital. She is most well known for her role as Judith Winters, a lawyer and best friend to the main character Erica, In the CBC comedy-drama, Being Erica. This role along with her role as Marcie Diggs, a young woman working in a legal aid clinic. Marcie Diggs is the lead role in the show Diggstown, these two roles make up most of her fame. 

Vinessa is married to Matt Levy. A gold medal Austrian Olympic swimmer. Matt is legally blind and has had 40 to 50 medical operations on his heart, lungs, ears, and brain. Matt is now happily married to Vinessa.

Vinessa has won two awards, the “Winner Screen Nova Scotia Award for an Outstanding Performance In her lead female role” for her show Diggstown. She has won this award two years in a row.

Listening to this essay we have learned that Vinessa was and still is an amazing black actress that works hard in Canadian film. She beautifully represents Canada in the acting community.