MY HERO AT THE ART & NATURE
FAMILY FESTIVAL IN LAGUNA BEACH

The MY HERO Staff assisted children in the making of Recycled Shorebirds at the Art & Nature Festival at LAM on Sunday, Nov.10

Contact: Victoria Murphy FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
victoria@myheroproject.org
949.376.5964

MY HERO AT THE ART & NATURE FAMILY FESTIVAL IN LAGUNA BEACH

Laguna Beach, CA – 11/11/13 – The MY HERO Project participated in the Laguna Art Museum's ART & NATURE Family Festival on Sunday afternoon from 2-5 p.m. on November 10, 2013.

Art & Nature, from November 7-10, 2013, was a multidisciplinary exploration of art's many and various engagements with the natural world.The Festival included works of art specifically commissioned for the event; nature-themed exhibitions and selections from the museum's collection; lectures and panels with artists, historians, scientists and environmentalists; and children's programs.

Young artist with her completed Recycled Shorebird at the MY HERO craft project at the Art & Nature Festival at Laguna Art Museum on November 10, 2013

The MY HERO Gallery organized the RECYCLED SHOREBIRDS Project with the support of the Laguna Beach Community Foundation to encourage children to be aware of the devastating effect that plastics, garbage, and tar have on the Pacific Ocean's bird population. MY HERO screened the MY HERO short film THE BIRDMAKER by Cheikh Darou Seck in order to emphasize the role that each one of us may take in protecting our valuable wildlife and our community's natural resources.

Using the handmade birds by Mamadou Tall Diedhiou as inspiration, the children at the Laguna Art Museum, under the direction of the MY HERO staff, cut out and decorated paper birds from recycled paper, magazine pages, feathers, wood pieces, chopsticks and miscellaneous materials. The assembled mixed media birds were finally placed on wood blocks and each participating child took home a beautiful and unique bird sculpture.

Lots of creative activity at the MY HERO Recycled Shorebirds craft project at the Art & Nature Festival at Laguna Art Museum directed by the MY HERO Gallery Curator Victoria Murphy

According to Victoria Murphy, the MY HERO Gallery Curator, "our project was really fun and educational for all. Each seat at our craft tables was filled 100% of the time with very enthusiastic and creative young artists who immediately set to decorating their bird sculptures. There was a great deal of imagination and ingenuity at play!" 

The ART & NATURE Family Festival was well attended and over 100 children from 4 to 11 years old created original bird sculptures at the MY HERO Project booth.

One of the many young artists who created unique Recycled Shorebird sculptures during the Art & Nature Family Festival at the MY HERO booth

This is the second time this year that The MY HERO Project has participated in a family festival at the Laguna Art Museum. The first time was at the Imagination Celebration in April 2013 and that MY HERO booth was made possible with a generous grant from the Festival of the Arts and the support of the Laguna Beach Community Foundation. 

The MY HERO Project is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization dedicated to celebrating the world's heroes. Established in 1995, as an alternative to mainstream media, MY HERO has grown into a global, educational resource that hosts the world's largest archive of hero stories (www.myhero.com).

More Featured Press_Release Heroes