International Literacy Day | September 8

Learn about the importance of literacy with MY HERO's curated multimedia showcase on International Literacy Day. Discover heroes working to increase literacy for a better world.

Credit: Reading in the Garden - painting by September McGee

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for International Literacy Day. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Stories

These heroes are working to improve literacy in their communities and the world.

Sarah Brown, Global Health and Education Hero

By: Abigail Richardson

Dr. Sakena Yacoobi, Hero and ‘Mother of Afghan Education’

By: Abigail Richardson

John Wood

By: David Kemker
John Wood founded Room to Read, which works to increase literacy and educational gender equality in developing countries.

Roxanne J. Coady

By: Charles F. Harper
Roxanne J. Coady has a love of books that has enhanced the community and brought literature into the lives of thousands of families.

Zainab Rezai

By: Amanda Molinaro from Irvine

Zainab Rezai leads her community towards progress and has helped more than 200 women become literate.

Yasmine Sherif: Global Educator and Champion for Youth

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel
Yasmine Sherif, who leads Education Cannot Wait, is an activist working for the rights of all children and the winner of MY HERO's 2020 Global Educator Award.

Skye Malik

By: Sue Glader

Skye founded the Paco Project to give dyslexic students in NYC access to Learning Ally technology so they can succeed. (Spanish version link at bottom of page.)

Watch these short films, winners of the MY HERO International Film Festival

Butterfly in the Sky [excerpt]

By: Brett Whitcomb & Bradford Allen
Tells the story of the beloved series "Reading Rainbow," its iconic host LeVar Burton, and the challenges its creators faced in cultivating a love of reading

Inclusion On the Air

By: Eli Canter
Emily Perl Kingsley is a former Sesame Street writer and longtime activist for children with disabilities and their families.

Film

View these short films to be introduced to some amazing heroes who are committed to teaching literacy and working for the right to education for all!

Biblioburro: The Donkey Library

Producer: Valentina Canavesio
Luis Soriano, a teacher in the small town of La Gloria, Colombia, travels on the back of his donkey, bringing with him books for children of the rural communities...

Never Too Old

Produced by:ChangeChitra
"Karthyayani Amma of Cheppad village took up pen for the first time when she was 94 in 2017.

Educate Girls

Produced by:Skoll Foundation
In India, the majority of girls do not complete their primary education. Educate Girls is working to make education more accessible to girls by partnering with public schools, training local champions for girls’ education, and mobilizing communities to help girls achieve their full potential

Pedal=Sight

Produced by:Jacob & Isaac Seigel-Boettner

"Pedal=Sight tells the story of Bharati, a young woman from just outside of Pune, India, who is now able to go to high school – and dream big – because of the bicycle."

Building Heroes

Producer: Skip Blumberg
A community literacy & arts celebration hosted by The New Haven Free Public Library and The Eli Whitney Museum.

Art

Sequoyah

By: Lithograph based on a painting by Charles Bird King

Sequoyah created the Cherokee writing system, increasing literacy for his people.

Anne Sullivan (1866 - 1936)

By: photographer unknown

Anne Sullivan taught Helen Keller to read using Braille.

Reading in the Garden

By: September McGee

This artwork shows the joys of reading together.

MY HERO Read and Listen Stories

A great way to improve reading skills is to listen and read along to written stories. Each of these MY HERO stories has an audio version which you can click to hear.

Durga Devi Ghimire

By: Annie Merkley

Jennifer Smith

By: Sue Glader
Jennifer Smith is an author, mentor and advocate for understanding those who have dyslexia.

Community Hero Luis Soriano Bohorquez

By: Ryan

Louis Braille

By: Brett from San Diego
Louis Braille invented a system of writing and reading used by blind people all over the world.

External Links

Related Pages

Time for Global Action Millennium Development Goals

By: Becky Miller
UN Sustainable Development Goals

Read Across America Day

By: Becky Miller
Dr. Seuss Dayis held on the school day closest to the birthday of Dr. Seuss, March 2.

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Organizer created on 7/27/2012 2:48:10 PM by Becky Miller

Last edited 8/22/2023 3:42:32 PM by Abigail Richardson