UN Sustainable Development Goals

Learn about the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in this multimedia showcase.

UN Sustainable Development Goals
Credit: United Nations

The World's Largest Lesson

Producer: Helen Argo / Directed by: Sarah Cox
Everyone must work together to achieve the 17 Global Goals for sustainable development.

Goal #1 No Poverty: End poverty in all its forms everywhere

Bryan Stevenson

By: Arthur (Trey) Carlisle
Bryan Stevenson has been recognized across the globe for the work that he has done to address poverty and racial inequality.

Dr. J. Larry Brown

Dr. J. Larry Brown directs the national Center on Hunger and Poverty.

On International Women's Day: 12 innovations that are lifting women out of poverty

By: Nourishing the Planet <br> <h5>Permission to use this material<br> was grant...
International Women's Day (March 8) celebrates women's achievements. Innovative ideas and programs, such as the 12 below, are helping women better care for themselves and their families.

Gerda Klein

By: Marilyn Huerta

Lily Yeh

By: Robert Shetterly

Goal # 2 No Hunger: End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture

Gerda Klein

Gerda and her husband established the Gerda and Kurt Klein Foundation to combat hunger and intolerance.
Abdul Sattar Edhi
Abdul Sattar Edhi founded Edhi International Foundation, and has been called the greatest living humanitarian in the world.

Rowena Gerber

By: Wendy Jewell
Rowena Gerber and her students raise money to send Solar Ovens around the world.

Frances Moore Lappe

By: Rosemary Pritzker
Frances Moore Lappe is a passionate and pioneering thinker, world changer, and activist in many movements.

Daphna Ziman

By: Wendy Jewell
Daphna Ziman founded Children Uniting Nations.

Norman Borlaug

By: Martin from Richmond
Norman Borlaug was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his success in increasing the world's food supply.

America's Second Harvest

By: Claudia Hudson

NO STARVING

By: nostarving.org

Farmers Feeding the World

By: AgWeb

Goal # 3 Good Health and Well-being: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all, at all ages

Fabiola Cabeza de Baca Gilbert

By: Emma Navajas
Fabiola Cabeza de Baca Gilbert made tremendous advancements in food safety in the American Southwest.

Robin Emmons

By: Sydney from Roseville
Robin Emmons is an organic farmer who has created a foundation to fight hunger.

Sarah Ramirez

By: Jacob from Mission Viejo
Sarah Ramirez works with local food banks, where food is distributed to impoverished people all across the community.

Marcus Samuelsson

By: Jane Wallace from New York
Marcus Samuelsson is an Ethiopian-born, Swedish-raised chef and restaurant owner who focuses on the food needs of the world.

All Lives Should Have Equal Value

By: Ryan fredrickson

Jonas Salk

By: St George Thompson

Goal #4 Quality Education: Ensure inclusive and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning

Erin Gruwell

By: Annie Merkley
Erin Gruwell continues to inspire educators and students around the world with her compassion and wisdom.

Viola Vaughn

By: Brande from Spokane
Viola Vaughn founded an organization that supports girls working to achieve academic success in Africa.

Vicky Colbert de Arboleda

By: Anthea Milnes from Oxford
Vicky Colbert de Arboleda works to provide equal access to all children in Colombia.

Betty Morgan

By: Robert Shetterly

John Hunter

By: Robert Shetterly

Michelle Alexander

By: Robert Shetterly
Freedom Writers: Stories From an Undeclared War [Trailer]
Producer: Freedom Writers Foundation

Inspired by their teacher, Erin Gruwell, and the writings of Anne Frank, the students discover a new way to express themselves.

Goal #5 Gender Equality: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls

Malala Yousafzai

By: Jane Wallace
Malala Yousafzai speaks out for the rights of girls to have an education.

Fadela Amara

By: Lucille from France
Fadela Amara is recognized throughout France as a champion of women's rights.

Hazviperi Betty Makoni

By: Wendy Jewell
Hazviperi Betty Makoni founded the Girl Child Network to transform lives.

Pedal = Sight by Armene Modi

By: Amanda Molinaro
Armene Modi is a film director who had spent a couple of years focusing on adult women and literacy in Sone Sangvi.

Sandra Begay-Campbell

By: Sue from California
Sandra Begay-Campbell is a Native American engineer who brings solar-powered energy to the Navajo reservation.

Malala

By: Marilyn Huerta

Alice Paul

By: Robert Shetterly

Nepali Woman and Her Goat

By: Robin Wethe Altman

Goal #6 Clean Water and Sanitation: Ensure access to water and sanitation for all

Ryan Hreljac

By: Wendy Jewell
Ryan Hreljac helps build wells for clean water in Africa.

Jack Sim

By: <br>Copyright <a href="http://www.newsforkids.com.sg/"target="blank">NEWS FO...
Jack Sim has started a worldwide campaign for clean public toilets and better sanitation standards.

Fin Donnelly

By: Jenny Kim
Fin Donnelly works to keep our rivers and waters clean.

Jon Rose

By: David Kelly
Jon Rose founded Waves for Water, which works on the front-line to provide clean water.

Environment - Life in the Clean Water and Air

By: Yasutomikita Elementary School in Japan and W.H. Day Elementary School in Ca...

The Living Water Garden

By: Betsy Damon

Water is Life

By: The Art Miles Mural Project

Goal #7 Affordable and Clean Energy: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all

Josue and Chrismedonne Lajeunesse

By: David Kelly
Josue and Chrismedonne Lajeunesse work together to provide access to clean water for their village of La Source, Haiti.

Paul Munsen Solar Oven Man

By: Wendy Jewell
Paul Munsen Solar Oven Man manufactures sun ovens, which harness the sun's rays to provide an environmentally safe source of energy.

William Kamkwamba

By: Wendy Jewell & David Kemker
William Kamkwamba designed and built a windmill, at the age of 14, for his family in Malawi, Africa.

Goal #8 Decent Work and Economic Growth: Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all

Internet.org Everyone of us. Everywhere. Connected.

By: Wendy Jewell
Internet.org Everyone of us. Everywhere. Connected. launched to provide internet access to the two thirds of people around the world who are not connected.

Samuel Mockbee

By: Jennifer Beck

Efren Penaflorida

By: Amanda Molinaro
Efren Penaflorida helped create Dynamic Teen Company

Tim Berners-Lee

By: James from Sydney
Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web.

Leila Janah helps people in the developing world find work – near home

By: Carolyn Abate <br> Contributor of <br>The Christian Science Monitor<br> <h5>...
Leila Janah's Samasource breaks down complicated data-processing projects into small steps that can be done remotely on PCs in countries like Ghana, Uganda, and Haiti.

Louis Studs Terkel

By: Robert Shetterly

Lateefah Simon

By: Robert Shetterly

Goal #9 Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure: Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation

Simon Velez

By: David Kemker from The My Hero Project
Simon Velez is a prize winning architect who uses sustainable materials.

Dean Kamen

By: Claudia Hudson
"...to create a world where science and technology are celebrated...where young people dream of becoming science and technology heroes."

Engineers Without Borders

Engineers Without Borders are working to change the world.

Life of Steve Jobs

By: Ryan Walderman from Toronto

Nikola Tesla - Inventor

By: Dr. Ljubo Vujovic

Goal #10 Reduced Inequalities: Reduce inequality within and among countries

Muhammad Yunus

By: Alexander from San Diego
Muhammad Yunus developed micro banking for poor entreprenuers.

Bunker Roy

By: Anthea Milnes from Oxford
Bunker Roy has dedicated his life to improving the lives of the rural poor in India.

Dave Valle plays on a new field: microloans that help to end poverty

By: Gail Wood<br> Contributor of The Christian Science Monitor<br> <h5>Permissio...

Ramani Sankaranarayanan and Geeta Vaidyanathan

By: Claudia Herrera Hudson
Ramani Sankaranarayanan and Geeta Vaidyanathan founded CTxGrEn to show villagers how to turn native materials into fuel for electricity.

The Global Refugee Mural

By: Joel Bergner

Goal #11 Sustainable Cities and Communities: Make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable

Cameron Sinclair

By: David Kemker
Cameron Sinclair is the founder of Architecture for Humanity, which brings services to communities in need.

Camila-Batmanghelidjh: Giving London street kids - even teen gang members - a safe (and colorful) home

By: Sian Griffiths <br> Contributor of The Christian Science Monitor<br> <h5>Per...
Camila Batmanghelidjh founded Kids Company to help children – and now helps troubled teens. who often get little sympathy since the London riots.

Angela Brooks

By: Susannah Abbey
Angela Brooks is an architect who works to create sustainable and affordable housing.

Millard and Linda Fuller

By: Karen Pritzker
Millard and Linda Fuller founded Habitat for Humanity.

Goal #12 Responsible Consumption and Production: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns

The Seawater Greenhouse

By: Claudia Hudson
The Seawater Greenhouse transforms seawater into drinking water.

Sanoussi Diakite

Sanoussi Diakite has aided starvation in Africa through a user-friendly invention.

Wes Jackson

By: Claudia Herrera Hudson
Wes Jackson was a professor who returned to the land to advance sustainable agriculture practices.

Diane Wilson

By: Robert Shetterly

Goal #13 Climate Action: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts

MacGillivray Family

MacGillivray Family founded the non-profit MacGillivray Freeman Films Educational Foundation.

Kenji Williams - Founder & Director of Bella Gaia - in Conversation with The MY HERO Project

By: Wendy Jewell from The MY HERO Project
Kenji Williams creates music and films that celebrate the earth from the perspective of space.

Slater Jewell-Kemker

By: David Kemker and David Kelly
Slater Jewell-Kemker commitment to political activism is intrinsic to who she is.

David T. Suzuki

By: Anthony from Edmonton
David T. Suzuki has been teaching the public about the science of environmentalism for many years.

David Suzuki

By: Laila from Calgary

Bill McKibben

By: Robert Shetterly

Racing Extinction [Trailer]

Producer: Dir. Louie Psihoyos
Whether infiltrating notorious black markets with guerilla-style tactics or exploring the scientific causes affecting changes to the environment, "Racing Extinction" will change the way we see the world and our role within it.

Goal #14 Life Below Water: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources

Jacques Cousteau

By: Jeff Trussell
Jacques Cousteau invented the Aqua-Lung, a predecessor to the SCUBA systems used by divers worldwide today.

Nancy Caruso

By: Anabelle Vo
Nancy Caruso is a marine biologist who helped bring kelp forests back to the California coast.

Sylvia Earle

By: Edward Ortiz
"The key is to see ourselves as a part of the natural systems that support us."

Reef Ball Foundation

By: Claudia Herrera Hudson
Reef Ball Foundation restores damaged coral reef systems around the world.

Jacques-Yves Cousteau

By: Tim Shay

Sylvia Earle

By: Ben Macedo

Ocean/ Environmental Mural 2015

By: Ritchie King

Slater Jewell-Kemker's Journey

Producer: Jeanne Meyers
Slater is an environmental activist who uses film-making as her tool. She was inspired and empowered to make a difference growing up with the MY HERO Project.

Goal #15 Life on Land: Sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, halt biodiversity loss

International Day for Biological Diversity | May 22

By: Becky Miller
To raise awareness of the importance of biodiversity and issues related to the variety of life on the planet, in different ecosystems and species.

Dr. Vandana Shiva

By: David Kemker
Dr. Vandana Shiva works to preserve biodiversity for the planet.

Dr. John Todd: A Sewer Becomes a Water Park

By: Karen Charman ©2004-05 YES!<br>Used with permission from YES! magazine.<br><...
Dr. John Todd: A Sewer Becomes a Water Park with floating botanical gardens that are helping restore ecological health.

Wangari Maathai

By: Heidi Antocicco
Wangari Maathai founded the Green Belt Movement that plants trees to help restore the desolate ecosystem in Africa.

Chico Mendes

By: Jeff Trussell
Chico Mendes gave the ultimate sacrifice in defending rainforests.

Tribute to a Hero - Wangari Maathai - Kenya

By: Linda Gallagher

Goal #16 Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions: Promote just, peaceful and inclusive societies

Nelson Mandela

By: Jeff Trussell
Nelson Mandela was a peacemaker and a freedom hero.

Liu Xiaobo

By: Kevin from San Diego
Liu Xiaobo is a Nobel Prize winning human rights activist.

Desmond Tutu

Desmond Tutu worked to end apartheid in South Africa and encourages forgiveness.

Womens Peace Movement of Liberia

By: Amanda Molinaro from Irvine
Womens Peace Movement of Liberia stopped the violence in through peaceful means.

Mandela

By: Giordano Aita
Desmond Tutu

Ron Kovic, 2014

By: Robert Shetterly

Frame by Frame [Trailer]

Producer: Mo Scarpelli, Alexandria Bombach

After decades of war and an oppressive Taliban regime, four Afghan photojournalists face the realities of building a free press in a country left to stand on its own -- reframing Afghanistan for the world and for themselves.

Defying Death in South Sudan

Producer: Francis Mead

Defying death in South Sudan. Featuring Humanitarian Hero Award Winner Ken Payumo.

Project Syria: An immersive Journalism Experience

Producer: Nonny de la Peña

Nearly one half of Syria’s 23 million people have been displaced in its civil war and no group has been as severely affected as children. Children make up more than half of the three million refugees living in camps or makeshift housing and some news reports indicate that children are actually being specifically targeted in the violence.

Goal #17 Partners for the Goals: Revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development

Kofi Annan

By: Jerrilyn Jacobs
Kofi Annan is an honored freedom and peacemaker hero.

Pope Francis

Pope Francis cares for the poor and works for peace.

Ellen Johnson Sirleaf

By: Rebecca Miller
"During the years of our civil war, they [women] bore the brunt of inhumanity and terror... Yet, it is the women who laboured and advocated for peace throughout our region."
~Ellen Johnson Sirleaf

Kofi Annan - Hero

By: Derek Little

Pope Francis with Art Miles "Mural of Hope for the Pope"

By: Art Miles Mural Project Master Muralist Cecelia Linayo and student artists

Links

Organizer created on 10/20/2015 8:30:30 PM by Becky Miller

Last edited 8/12/2020 10:16:09 AM by Laura Nietzer