ORGANIZER

The Values Compass - Equality

Determined to understand how values shape nations, societies, and organizations, Dr. Mandeep Rai has traveled extensively, interviewed people around the world and distilled a ‘value image’ for over 101 countries, which she explores in an award-winning and internationally best-selling book, ‘The Values Compass.’

'The Value's Compass' by Dr. Mandeep Rai
Credit: Courtesy of Dr. Rai

Watch the Eva Haller Salon with Dr. Mandeep Rai who discusses her award-winning book 'The Values Compass'

Eva Haller Salon - Dr. Mandeep Rai

Eva Haller

Denmark | Equality

Denmark's core value, according to Dr. Rai is Equality. "In Demark, equality means something more than fair treatment regardless of your sex, race, or religion. It is about something more fundamental - an idea that people should aspire to be more similar than they are different. Where in many countries equality is treated by governments and corporations as an obligatory action, in Denmark it is a deeply ingrained instinct." (The Value's Compass - page 23).

MY HERO Resources on Equality

Watch this short film about the history of women's suffrage and explore our showcase full of multi-media resources on equality for women.

Women's Equality Day

Kitty Richardson
A brief look at the journey towards Equity for Women.

Equality for Women

He Named Me Malala - Official Trailer

Produced by:Laurie MacDonald
This documentary is a portrait of Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Malala Yousafzai. It documents her personal life and her inspiring journey as an activist.

Women Transforming Media: Gabrielle Gorman

Produced by:Xenia Shin, Jeanne Meyers, et al.
Emerging filmmaker Gabrielle Gorman's poetic filmmaking confronts issues like identity, racism and self-love. We talk to the 2016 MY HERO International Film Festival Student Honoree, National Young Arts alumna in Cinematic Arts and Presidential Scholar finalist about how she wants to make art for social change.

My Family Journey: Pathway to Empowering Hispanic Women

Angelina Pendleton-Mendez

Angelina Pendleton-Mendez interviews Maria Mendez, her paternal grandmother, about her family and their journey.

Alyse Nelson of Vital Voices speaks out on violence against women

MY HERO

Alyse Nelson of Vital Voices makes an impassioned call to change culture and end the global crisis of violence against women.

Women Rights - PSA

Produced by:Rajat Diwan
A PSA calling for better ways to protect women in India.

Oumy

Produced by:Cheikh Seck (Mentor)
A film about Oumy, a junior high student from Dakar, Senegal. Oumy speaks about her pursuit of education and the hardships that women in her country face.

LGBTQ+ Equality

Top 10 Important LGBTQ Movements In US History

Produced by:Jaimie Roussos
In honor of Pride month, this film looks at at the most important LGBTQ milestones in US History.

Interview with Georgia Bridgers (LGBTQ YouTuber)

Kitty Richardson
An interview with Georgia Bridgers, a YouTuber, on how she uses her channel to promote LGBT acceptance.

Racial Equality

Interview with Myisha T Hill (Check Your Privilege)

Kitty Richardson

60 Years and Still - 2ND PLACE

Sally Tran
WARNING - FOR MATURE AUDIENCES A table top, mixed media documentary hybrid short film covers six decades of race and injustice in America ...

57 Years Ago - 1ST PLACE

Jackson Carrico | New Roads High School
A short anti-racism music video honoring the victims of police brutality.

AAPI Civil Rights Heroes - Yuri Kochiyama - 1ST PLACE

Audee Kochiyama
Yuri Kochiyama is a tireless political activist who has dedicated her life to contributing to social change through her participation in social justice and human rights movements.

Martin Luther King Jr: A True Hero - 3RD PLACE

Kameron John feagans | Batchelor Middle School
This is a video about the life of Dr. Martin Luther King jr. and why he was a hero.

Explore the two showcases below on Civil Rights Hero Congressman John Lewis and Black History Month Heroes

Congressman John Lewis Showcase

By: MY HERO Staff

John Lewis was involved in the Civil Rights Movement as a young man and later became a member the House of Representatives for the state of Georgia.

Black History Month | Civil Rights and Social Justice Heroes

By: MY HERO Staff
MY HERO Celebrates Black History Month. Be Inspired by African American Civl Rights and Social Justice Heroes.

Equality for People with Disabilities

Do You See Rainbow?

Kitty Richardson
An insight into autism from the perspective of someone with autism.

BYkids Trailer: FAITH’S WORLD

Faith Guilbault
Faith Guilbault (age 16) has cerebral palsy and invites us to experience living with special needs so we can all treat being differently abled with humanity and normalcy.

Education for All

Educate Girls

Produced by:Skoll Foundation

In India, Educate Girls is working to make education more accessible to girls by partnering with public schools, training local champions for girls’ education.

Ten Thousand Girls

Producer: Adams Sie
Mrs. Viola Vaughn runs "10,000 Girls," a project in Senegal, Africa, which aims to help girls in education and vocational training.

Explore hundreds of lesson plans curated by theme

Lesson Plans
Credit: Resources curated by Laura Nietzer

Stories

Dr. Mandeep Rai – The Values Compass

By: Abigail Richardson

Samar Minallah Khan

By: Abigail Richardson
Samar is a filmmaker, anthropologist and activist. In the media, she has been referred to as ‘The Savior of Souls,’ one of the ‘Women who rock the world,’ ‘The Crusader with the Camera’ and the ‘Women that changed Pakistan.’

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

By: John Lewis

Congressman John Lewis talks about how Martin Luther King Jr. inspired him as a young man during the Civil Rights Movement.

Dr. Sakena Yacoobi, Hero and ‘Mother of Afghan Education’

By: Abigail Richardson

Malala Yousafzai: The One With a Voice

By: Alex Zakoor
Malala Yousafzai is a Pakistani activist for girls' education and the youngest winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Pashtana Durrani

By: Deborah Neff
Pashtana Durrani, who received the Malala Fund Education Champion award for her work on behalf of education for Afghan girls, is determined to continue providing educational opportunities for women and girls, even if she has to resist the Taliban and go underground.

Armene Modi

By: Amanda Molinaro

Armene Modi provides bicycles to girls in rural Indian villages so they can continue their education.

Hazviperi Betty Makoni

By: Wendy Jewell
Hazviperi Betty Makoni founded the Girl Child Network to transform lives.

Thurgood Marshall

By: Xenia Shin
Thurgood Marshall, US Supreme Court Justice and founder of the NAACP, profoundly affected the progress of civil rights by using the law.

Organizer created on 7/18/2022 10:33:18 AM by Abigail Richardson

Last edited 7/18/2022 1:12:55 PM by Abigail Richardson