Congressman John Lewis

Celebrating Black History Month

John Lewis BHM
Credit: Public Domain

John Lewis has dedicated his life to advancing human rights and civil liberties. 

He was one of the leaders of The Great March on Washington for civil rights, where Martin Luther King Jr. gave his historic "I Have a Dream" speech. Throughout his life he has practiced the philosophy of non-violent protest.

Lewis took part in the sit-in movement to desegregate lunch counters in Nashville, TN. Lewis was arrested and jailed many times. He was also beaten many times as one of the original Freedom Riders, who tried to end the practice of segregation on public transportation. This was unconstitutional but unenforced. Once, he was beaten and left for dead at a Greyhound Station. 

Yet, he said: “We were determined not to let any act of violence keep us from our goal. We knew our lives could be threatened, but we had made up our minds not to turn back.”  John Lewis is often called "one of the most courageous persons the Civil Rights Movement ever produced“ and is a hero to many. He was awarded the Presidential Medal, the highest civilian honor.

Story

John Lewis

By: Kathy Crockett from My Hero
John Lewis has worked for civil rights for all for over 40 years.

Essay by John Lewis on his Hero, Martin Luther King, Jr.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

By: John Lewis

Hear in his own words, Congressman John Lewis talks about how his hero Martin Luther King, Jr. inspired him as a young man during the Civil Rights Movement

Documentary on John Lewis

Get in the Way [Trailer]

Produced by:Dir. Kathleen Dowdey

In 1965, the historic Selma March known as Bloody Sunday was a turning point in the Civil Rights Movement. John Lewis—now a revered U.S. Congressman, then a young student—co-led hundreds of peaceful marchers seeking voting rights for African Americans in the South. When they came face to face with a wall of club-wielding Alabama state troopers, Lewis took a steadfast, non-violent stand and inspired his followers to do the same. Graphic depictions of the ensuing assault were televised on the nightly news and shocked Americans to the core as they witnessed blatant racial oppression.

Citizenship

Produced by:Anson Schloat and John G. Young

John Lewis, U.S. Congressman, speaks about the importance of being a good citizen.

Art

John Lewis by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Civil Rights hero John Lewis as painted by Robert Shetterly
BHM - John Lewis
Credit: Saint George Thompson

John Lewis Portrait

John Robert Lewis is an American politician and civil rights leader. He is the U.S. Representative for Georgia's 5th congressional district, serving since 1987, and is the dean of the Georgia congressional delegation.

Audio

Community Hero: John Lewis

By: The My Hero Project
No one had to tell John to stand up for what he believed was right; it just came naturally.

Links

Organizer created on 2/14/2018 3:01:30 PM by Staff

Last edited 2/14/2019 8:24:19 PM by victoria murphy