Earth Day

Earth Day 2024 Theme:

Planet vs. Plastics, calls to advocate for widespread awareness on the health risk of plastics, rapidly phase out all single use plastics, urgently push for a strong UN Treaty on Plastic Pollution, and demand an end to fast fashion.

Find out more: www.earthday.org

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for Earth Day featuring earth heroes. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

These short films were created by MY HERO Interns to raise awareness for Earth Day. 

Earth Day

By: Madeline Kirsch

This poetic video about the importance of Earth Day was made by MY HERO Intern Madeline Kirsch.

Earth Day Recycling PSA

By: Joshua Stewart Mejia
This video was made by MY HERO Intern Joshua Stewart Mejia.

Earth Day

Aabha Muley
This short documentary about Earth Day was created by a MY HERO intern. It includes the history of Earth Day and ways to help the environment.

Film

Trash Counts

By: NOAA Ocean Today
Featuring a citizen science project that is making a difference, one data entry at a time.

Rainforest Action

Will Parrinello
In 2020 Nemonte received the prestigious Goldman Environmental Prize and was named to Time Magazine’s Top 100, its annual list of the 100 most influential people in the world.

Who Should Decide The Future of the Amazon?

Martin Kingman | Executive Producer: Amazon Frontlines
A global campaign aims to raise awareness on the urgent need to respect Indigenous people's right to decide over the future of their territories, cultures & lives.

Climate change and indigenous knowledge: An unknown asset

Produced by:CTA

Green SuperHeroes 2030 Trailer

By: Los Angeles Barea
A group of 10 young environmentalists changing the world for the better. Their powers make the planet greener.

The Emerald Edge: Cedar's Story

By: Chad Horn
"Explore the world’s largest coastal temperate rainforest in 360 degrees in a new immersive experience.

Voice Above Water

Produced by:Turning Tides Films
Learn about 90 year old, Wayan Nyo from Indonesia, who does his part to clean the ocean and make the world a much better place.

A Walk Through The Land of A Thousand Hills

Chema Domenech
Claver Ntoyinkima, a native park ranger, shares the secrets of Nyungwe National Park in Rwanda as he guides us through the forest.

PB&J Productions My Hero

By: Shelby Dahl
This is an interview of Savannah Ackerman, the School Outreach Coordinator for Tree People.

The Story We Want - Episode 1 - Coal and Climate

Dayna Reggero
SPECIAL HERO AWARD - 2021 --Dayna Reggero traveled across America to listen to ordinary women who are confronting fossil fuel industries, climate change impacts, and a culture of extraction.

We are the Earth

By: Zoé Rose
A powerful expressionistic animation for connecting to life.

Dian Fossey; A Hero

Produced by:Lora Batchelor Middle School
This is a film about the life and career of Dian Fossey.

Nature Needs You

Mark Pearce
Industrial resource developments continue to put at risk our natural and cultural significance.

360 SEA PLASTIC

Hendrik S. Schmitt
The Jetlagged and Plastic Pollution Coalition want to show our addiction to plastics and raise awareness about the impact plastic waste has on the environment.

Words Have Power

Produced by:Lynne Cherry

10-year-old Jaysa rallies the community with speeches about how the power plant causes “so much suffering.” When they shut down the plant, Jaysa concludes that “words have power."

Mother of All Rivers

Producer: Produced by: Will Parrinello / Directed by: Will Parrinello

Berta Cáceres rallied her indigenous Lenca people to protest, successfully pressuring the government of Honduras and the world's largest dam builder to withdraw from building the Agua Zarca Dam.

MABON ‘The 8 year old activist’

Jack Davies
Our world has a serious ocean plastics problem. There are now a higher number of plastics in the ocean than the number of fish.

Protecting Blue Whales and Blue Skies

Michael Hanrahan

A collaboration of government agencies, non-profits, and private industry come together to solve the problem of commercial ships causing air pollution and whale strikes in the Santa Barbara Channel.

My Toxic Reality

Produced by:Tom Dusenbery
Hilton Kelley is tired of seeing his community ravaged by pollution from oil refineries. He and his fellow citizens demand change.

Upstanders: The Kids Who Killed an Incinerator

Produced by:Howard Schultz and Rajiv Chandrasekaran [Starbucks]
The high school students who battled a giant incinerator — and won.

Yacouba - The Village Fool (the man who stopped the desert)

Produced by:Dave Puls / Fredrick Armstrong

Endangered Species

Produced by:Quinn, Moses, Shyon, Logan
An original song and video to raise awareness about endangered species. Made by Elementary students.

Earth In Their Eyes

Melahn T Atkinson, Talia Keys
Earth In Their Eyes was written for the children who will inherit this beautiful planet Earth. An urge to make it right.

Watch an Exclusive Interview with Sophie Healy-Thow

Interview with Youth Activist Sophie Healy-Thow

Kitty Richardson

Watch Youth Unstoppable by MY HERO Award Winner and Former Intern Slater Jewell-Kemker

Watch Youth Unstoppable directed by Slater Jewell Kemker
Credit: Youth Unstoppable

Stories | Current Climate Change Activists Working for Good

Greta Thunberg

By: MY HERO Staff
On the first day, Greta Thunberg, a climate activist with aspbergers, protested outside of Swedish Parliament alone. Now, she's leading 1.5 million students globally.

Chibeze Ezekiel : Award Winning Climate Activist

By: Deborah Neff, MY HERO Staff writer

Dayna Reggero Wins Special Award for THE STORY WE WANT

By: Deborah Neff, MY HERO Staff writer
Two grassroots environmental activists--moms address fracking and coal ash dumping in Walnut Grove and the state of North Carolina.

Frances Moore Lappé’s Diet for a Small Planet Celebrates 50th Anniversary

By: Deborah Neff, MY HERO Staff writer
Frances Moore Lappé’s Diet for a Small Planet Celebrates 50th Anniversary with new edition.

Dorcas Lukwesa’s Mobile, Sustainable Farms

By: Abigail Richardson

Gaz Oakley – Vegan Chef and Food Hero

By: Abigail Richardson
Gaz Oakley, known as the Avant-Garde Vegan, is a vegan chef and cookbook author from Cardiff, Wales.

Wangari Maathai

By: Frances Moore Lappe
Wangari Maathai was an environmental activist and Nobel laureate who founded the Green Belt movement.

Leonardo DiCaprio

By: Nadine Bader

Leonardo DiCaprio is an award-winning actor who is considered one of the most active celebrities involved in the climate change movement.

David Suzuki

By: Anna Gustaf
David Suzuki is a Canadian environmental activist with a PhD in zoology.

Dr. Vandana Shiva

By: David Kemker
Dr. Vandana Shiva works to preserve biodiversity for the planet.

Audio

MY HERO Suggested Video

"How to Save Our Planet" (2019) by WWF International

Sir David Attenborough explains how humans can take charge of our future and save our planet.

MY HERO Suggested Video

"Earth Were In It Together" (2009) by Auntie Litter

Another song from Sing For Earth Day available from www.auntielitter.info

MY HERO Suggested Video

"Dear Future Generations: Sorry" (2015) by Prince Ea

An Apology Letter to Future Generations. Sorry.

Listen & Read Along | Founding Voices in the Environmental Movement

John Muir

By: Harold W. Wood, Jr.
John Muir advocated preservation, feeling that natural areas promote mental health.

Rachel Carson

By: Wendy Jewell
Rachel Carson, author of Silent Spring, was the mother of the environmental movement.

Art

Fight the Rise

By: Josie Morway
Mural by artist Josie Morway located in the Seaport neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts.

Untitled

By: Draya Madú
Mural done by artist Draya Madu located in the Seaport neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts.

The Earth Singing Tree

By: 800 people in McKees Rocks, PA <br>under the guidance of artist Laurie Marsh...

Protect the Sacred by Shepard Fairey for Amplifier

By: Shepard Fairey

Artist Shepard Fairey of Obey Art has created many posters for the Amplifier Foundation as well as being instrumental in initiating the Kickstarter campaign to get the Amplifier Foundation off the ground.

Stop Fracking Stop Drilling

By: Gregg Deal

Aldo Leopold

By: Robert Shetterly

Wendell Berry

By: Robert Shetterly

Protect Sacred Waters by Ernesto Yerena- Amplifier

By: Ernesto Yerena

This poster for the Amplifier Foundation represents artist Ernesto Yerena's commitment to Native American heritage, issues and sacred lands

Related Pages

Eva Haller Salon - Frances Moore Lappé

Eva Haller

Diet for a Small Planet has been transforming lives for 50 years!

2021 IFF Special Hero Climate Activist Award | Slater Jewell-Kemker and Wendy Jewell

Slater Jewell-Kemker
Slater Jewell-Kemker and Wendy Jewell accept the Special Hero: Climate Activist Award at the 2021 MY HERO International Film Festival.

2021 Global Educator Award - Frances Moore Lappé & Anna Blythe Lappé

Produced by:The MY HERO Project
Learn about Frances Moore Lappé & Anna Blythe Lappé in this video celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Book Diet for a Small Planet.

Will Parrinello Wins 2021 Best in Fest

By: Deborah Neff, MY HERO Staff writer

Goldman Environmental Prize Wins MY HERO Media Award

By: Deborah Neff, MY HERO Staff writer
Goldman Environmental Prize is awarded Media Award at the MY HERO 17th Annual Film Festival

International Day for Biological Diversity | May 22

By: Becky Miller
To raise awareness of the importance of biodiversity and issues related to the variety of life on the planet, in different ecosystems and species.

Poster Contest

By: Giselle Villatoro
MY HERO in partnership with Art Miles and UN Association- San Diego

World Day of Social Justice

By: Becky Miller
On World Day of Social Justice (February 20), we celebrate heroes who worked to remove barriers that people face because of gender, age, race, ethnicity, religion, culture or disability--so all people can live to their full potential with dignity.

Women in Science

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel
Stores, art, film and audio of women in science.
Sylvia Earle Award

Links

Our Curators

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editors and Story Directors Deborah Neff and Abigail Richardson.

Audio curated by MY HERO Audio director Stu Pearlman. 

Organizer created on 3/17/2012 9:35:41 AM by Becky Miller

Last edited 4/20/2024 7:25:31 PM by Rachel Priebe