ABOUT

Mission

View The MY HERO Booklet to learn more

A Collage of Heroes

Global Impact

MY HERO is a non-profit educational project that empowers people of all ages to realize their potential to effect positive change in the world.

Since 1995, over 100 million people from 197 countries have participated in The MY HERO Project. Our award-winning programs raise awareness for the amazing work being done by heroes globally and at the grass roots level to address some of the greatest challenges of our time. We work to promote cross-cultural communication, human rights, environmental awareness, tolerance, media literacy and the arts.

World Map

"MY HERO is trying to break the barrier that separates YOU from US, because we are really not that different... and we can work towards making the world a better place."

- Mohammed Sidibay

U.N. Ambassador and Former Child Soldier from Sierra Leone

Read More Impact Stories
Mohammed Sididay

Impact and Reach

Programs

Through the website, media arts program, and festivals, The MY HERO Project inspires people of all ages to learn, create, and act in powerful, positive ways.

MY HERO provides digital online tools for visitors to publish web pages that honor heroes around the world using stories, artwork, audio and films. Visitors can search a vast multimedia journal to learn about heroes from all walks of life. The thematic features of the homepage change weekly, highlighting diverse heroes related to current events and emerging resources.

The Media Arts Education Program uses online resources in The Teacher's Room, virtual classrooms called Learning Circles, and Media Arts Workshops at underserved schools to promote individual and collaborative learning. Students build 21st Century skills including critical thinking, project management, research, communication and new media literacy.

MY HERO's media arts festivals and salons showcase filmmakers, artists and activists working towards positive change and inspire audiences to become involved. Prizes are provided for award winning films and exemplary submissions to the digital library.

Festival Celebrations

Fiscal Information

The MY HERO Project is a 501(c)3 not-for- profit organization. All donations are tax exempt. As shown by our audited financial statements, 90% of income goes directly to programs.

90% of Costs go to Programs, 1% to Fundraising, 9% to General/Administrative
Guidestar Great Non-Profits Charity Navigator

Team

The MY HERO community is comprised of passionate educators, creative artists and students and families all working to shine a light on unsung heroes throughout history.

History

We launched MY HERO in 1995 with a simple idea: to create a space in the media where people of all ages could share and discover stories about those making a positive difference in the world. We were tired of the exaltation of celebrities as heroes and the promotion of hatred, violence and sexism in the mass media. We wanted children to have access to information about real life heroes who had overcome obstacles, faced great and small challenges, and succeeded. During the early days of the web, we launched this project hoping that if we built a venue online to share stories of hope and inspiration, others would join in the project and children would benefit.

Today, MY HERO is a leading destination for teachers and students around the world. We provide digital storytelling tools and a rich multimedia library that is used by people of all ages. Our global learning community includes professional filmmakers, writers, and artists who join with teachers and students adding content to this ever-growing internet archive. Working together we are building the world’s largest online media library of hero stories, art, and films. A team of educators, media makers, programmers, web designers, and editors manage this vast multi-media project. As the internet has grown so has our need for bandwidth and improved technology. We want to improve our systems and delivery so that more students entering the digital age will access our resources and join in this celebration. Together we are working to bridge the digital divide and bring inspiration to millions of students. We hope that you will understand our goals, programs, and the many ways that you can be part of The MY HERO Project. We need and value your support. Please download and share The MY HERO Booklet.

Contact

Contact Information

[email protected]

(949) 376-5964

Address

1278 Glenneyre St. #286

Laguna Beach, CA 92651-3103