The MY HERO International Film Festival brings together professional and youth filmmakers who honor local and global heroes working for positive change in the world. Prizes are awarded to elementary, middle school, high school, college and professionals in a variety of categories including: documentary, narrative, music video, animation, experimental, and more. Now more than ever, children, teachers, and parents yearn for messages of hope and courage to face the challenges that lie ahead. The MY HERO Film Festival celebrates stories highlighting remarkable individuals, children and adults alike. These stories remind us that we all have the potential to overcome great obstacles and achieve our dreams by following in the footsteps of our heroes.
Accepting submissions for 2023
Festival Rules, Guidelines and Information
NOW IN OUR 19th YEAR
Click here to download the MY HERO International Film Festival Call for Entries Postcard.
MY HERO will not accept films that promote hatred, violence, or intolerance. We strive to be an all-ages friendly site, so please keep that in mind when submitting a film for consideration. Work submitted to this film festival must celebrate a hero, explore concepts of heroism, or explore hero-related topics.
Rights & Clearances
By submitting your film to MY HERO, you grant MY HERO permission and rights to place your film, if accepted, in its entirety on the MY HERO film festival website.
By submitting your film to MY HERO, you grant MY HERO permission and rights to publish selected screen shots from your work on the MY HERO Web site and in promotional materials. You also grant MY HERO non-exclusive rights to use your film or excerpts of your film in promotional and educational outreach opportunities, including the MY HERO Portal on the Google Cultural Institute!
Deadlines & Fees:
March 1st - Early Deadline - $25
June 1st - Regular Deadline - $30
August 1st - Late Deadline - $30
September 1st - FINAL Deadline - $35
October 1st - EXTENDED Deadline - $40
The Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award has an early deadline of May 1st.
STUDENTS SUBMIT FOR FREE - email for code: [email protected]
Download the Release Form
Download the Parental Consent Form (for people under the age of 18.)
1. All footage, video graphics/pictures, and audio (including sound bites, music, etc.) MUST be original, unless you have express written consent of the original owner for use in your work. We will not knowingly accept a movie that contains uncleared material.
2. Only films 10 minutes and under will be accepted.
- Downloadable HD link to your film in Vimeo preferred (if your film is in YouTube we will request a Vimeo link), or a download so that we can upload your movie to the MY HERO Vimeo channel (always crediting the filmmaker).
- If your film requires a password, we will request a PUBLIC version if your film becomes a winner.
- If you cannot have your film publicly available, then please do not submit to our festival, or please create a version that can be publicly available.
- Winning films are used in lesson plans and featured content to enrich learning for students around the world, this is why we put the films on our website.
3. Selected works must be cleared for exhibition on the MY HERO website.
- Certificates are given to all first place winners.
- Selected winners will receive sponsored prizes.
- Cash prizes are available for most Special Awards
CLICK HERE for Details about the Special Awards
SAVE THE DATE FOR THE 19TH ANNUAL FILM FESTIVAL EVENTS VIA ZOOM!
- HELP SUPPORT OUR FESTIVAL
Watch a sizzle about the MY HERO International Film Festival
CLICK HERE to view the FILM FESTIVAL INTRODUCTION VIDEO
CLICK HERE to view an overview video about the Film Festival & Media Arts Education Program
Click image below to access our FREE Media Arts Education resources
Click here for: Media Arts Production resources by grade
A special thank you to our Prize Sponsors - InkTip, SHURE Microphones & ThinkTank Photo!
The MY HERO Project
International Film Festival
1278 Glenneyre #286
Laguna Beach, CA 92651 U.S.A.
For additional INFORMATION contact: [email protected]