Henry M. Pellatt

by Ilya from Newmarket

We know a lot of people as heroes. Most of them are well known around the world, but there are still others who deserve this name of "hero." Some of them are known as ordinary people or people who have even been forgotten. One of the people who must be honoured as a hero because of his deeds and influence on others is Sir Henry Mill Pellatt (1859-1939). Sir Henry Pellatt was a wealthy and prestigious man who started a hydroelectric business in Canada, providing light to Toronto homes; he was a youth supporter and an example of a kind, communicative person who cared about people.

Sir Henry Pellatt 1930 (www.wikipedia.org)

One of the most important things that Sir Henry did was to improve hydroelectricity in Toronto. In 1883 he founded the Toronto Electric Light Company, the same year Thomas Edison developed steam-generated electricity. He helped government to use the great wealth of the Canadian water system to deliver electricity to Ontario’s homes. Before his innovation, electricity made from waterfalls wasn’t used much. The Electric Light Company (ELC) caused electric lights to shine in more than 50 percent of Toronto homes, replacing the oil and kerosene lamps in the old city. In addition, the ELC was a great provider of jobs, so lots of workers were able to earn money for their families during this time of crisis and change. Smart investments of Sir Henry’s wealth, combined with his kind ideas for his own city, helped people to take a step forward toward a new era with electricity. The ELC provided many homes with light and warmth through the dark cold winters.

Sir Henry was one of only a few rich persons with great power who also cared about people. He was involved financially and personally in many aspects of Canada’s economic development. By 1901, Henry Pellatt was chairman on boards of 21 major companies, and as an individual, controlled 25% of Canada’s economy. However, this fact didn’t drive him away from the problems of others. In the spring of 1908, just months after the book Scouting for Boys was published in England, Scouting came to Canada. In 1910 Robert Baden-Powell wrote to Earl Grey, then Governor General of Canada, to ask him to organize Scouting in Canada. There were a lot of needs to cover to run the organization. One of the first sponsors who came forward with help was Sir Henry Pellatt. He was a supporter of the Boy Scouts of Canada for many years. He saw a future in these young boys, a new generation of people who needed to be prepared for everything. At the same time his wife, Lady Mary Pellatt, was the first Chief Commissioner of the Dominion of Canada Girl Guides. Many Guide events were held at Lady Pellatt's home, Casa Loma, in Toronto. The Pellatt family put a lot of hard work and time into the Toronto Community.

Casa Loma, Sir Henry Pellatt's home (Pictures of Ilya Churakov (c 2007))

Last, but not the least, Sir Henry left his footprint on the history of the province of Ontario. He was a kind and generous person who always cared about the city he was living in. That’s why most of his investments worked towards the progress of life. He built up the Ontario and Canadian economy by investing his money in the Northwest Land Company, the new Canadian Pacific Railway and real estate ideas, including his first castle built for the Pellatt family called Casa Loma. Many people thought that Casa Loma was a waste of money and a toy for a rich man like Sir Henry, but this house has become one of the most significant sights of Toronto. This beautiful property with a huge castle is now a part Canada's great history and a place of memories left by one of the most unique persons of the 19th century.

The interior of Casa Loma (Pictures of Ilya Churakov (c 2007))

There are lots of people in Canadian history who need to be recognised and honoured as heroes, and Sir Henry Pellatt is one of them. In the early 1930s, people viewed Sir Henry as an unfortunate real estate businessman and rich investor, but most of them forgot how many great things he accomplished using his wealth to help people in need and make the city of Toronto more modern and beautiful.

As for me, I think that Sir Henry was a great person. Not perfect, because nobody can be perfect, but he was sensitive to the feelings of others. He never lost his kindness and humility, but was always working to make life better for everyone. I suppose his character in many ways can be a good example for youth nowadays. I believe that even after more than 100 years, people have to know about some individuals like Sir Henry, who had a different point of view on life, and honour them as heroes for their positive impact on our world.

Wikipedia - Sir Henry Pellatt biography
Casa Loma - Canada's famous castle. Read a biography of Sir Henry Pellatt on this site.