14th Dalai Lama

by Alexa from Boca Raton

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them."
://www.rushane.com/Photo/reportage/images/rp031.j (14 Dalai Lama)

Peace has been a struggle in the world and many people are either with it or against it. The Dali Lama is a person who is with it. He once said “If you wish to experience peace, provide peace for another”. Most people listen to him but some don’t. The Dalai is a hero because he sacrifices his life so other people can have a good one. The Dalai Lama does a few things to show the world how much he would like it if peace would spread around the world.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_IxVeuC8igyI/SiEowz4CJAI (Dalai Lama giving a speech)

The Dalai Lama has been working to find peace within Tibet, and his local country. Tibet has been ruled by China since 1950. In 1959 after eight years of occupation the people of Tibet rebelled in an attempt to overthrow the Chinese Government. This led to the Dalai Lama fleeing Tibet and into India. A couple of hundred Tibetans followed him and then thousands more people came. When he was in exile in India he met with the prime minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru. The Dalai Lama wanted India to pressure China to give Tibet an autonomous government. The prime minister said no because he didn’t want to increase the tension with China and India. He told the Dalai Lama that he should work on the Seventeen Point Agreement that Tibet had with China. The Seventeen Point Agreement is a document that is an agreement with the government of China on affirming Chinese sovereignty over Tibet. He is still working on getting Tibet free from China today. He has met with some extraordinary people like the Pope. He met with the Pope Paul VI at the Vatican in 1973, and with Pope John Paul II eight times.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/04/14/us (Giving a Speech)

When the Dalai Lama was forced into exile, his life was a little different. Tibet has been ruled by China since 1950. In 1959 after nine years of occupation, the people of Tibet rebelled in an attempt to overthrow the Chinese Government. This led to the Dalai Lama fleeing Tibet and into India. A couple of hundred Tibetans followed him and then thousands more people came. When he was entering India the Indian guards escorted him to a shelter that the Indian government had provided for him. He thought education was an important part in life and wanted to build some schools for the Tibetan refugee children. The Indian government said they would pay all the expenses for the schools. The Dalai Lama still goes around and teaches about peace even though he is living in exile.

http://www.jendhamuni.com/gImages/Lamateachings.j (Giving another Speech)

The Dalai Lama gives teachings all year at different times and in different places. He also gives public talks; and are usually free. On the 16th day of the first month of the Tibetan calendar, which is usually in either February or March, He gives his annual spring teachings at the Main Temple in Dharamsala, India. They usually last for 15 days and are translated into English. During past few years, He has also been giving teachings in India that various Buddhist devotees from Taiwan and Korea. The teachings are usually translated into Chinese or Korean. He also gives public talks on topics that are close to his heart. Public talks that last about an hour that have question and answer sessions are popular on his foreign trips. He gives all these speeches to 1980, 1982,1986, and 1988. It was a private courtesy visit and based on religious topics. People must feel honored when they meet him.

The Dalai Lama has never given up fighting for peace. He gives speeches to people to advise them of what he does. He has won many peace awards. He has also met so many people that want to support him. It might take a long time to get everyone in this world to believe in peace, but it has to start somewhere.

The 14th Dalai Lama has been chosen to be the 14th Dalai Lama when he was three. TenzinGyatso otherwise known as the 14th Dalai Lama was born into a poor family in a small village of Taktser on July 6, 1935. In 1935, the village was under the control of Muslim warlord Ma Bufeng and it consisted of 17 households, fifteen were Tibetan. When the Dalai Lama was just about 3 years old he was chosen to be the 14th Dalai Lama. Dalai means “ocean” and Lama means “spiritual leader”. It refers to the wisdom that a Dalai Lama has. On 17 March 1959 during a conference with Nechung Oracle, who is the state oracle of Tibet, he was given an explicit instruction to leave the country. A few minutes before ten o'clock he was, now disguised as a common soldier, he slipped past the massive group of people along with a small escort and proceeded towards Kyichu River. The rest of the group including his immediate family members joined him. The 14th Dalai Lama was recognized in 1950 to be called upon to assume the full political power of Head of State and Government when Tibet was threatened by China. China and the Dalai Lama don’t get along very well and he said that the Chinese Communist Party had transformed Tibet into a “hell on earth”. He wasn’t really happy with them but China isn’t getting in the way of teaching about peace.

The Dalai Lama gives teachings all year at different times and in different places. He also gives public talks; and are usually free. On the 16th day of the first month of the Tibetan calendar, which is usually in either February or March, He gives his annual spring teachings at the Main Temple in Dharamsala, India. They usually last for 15 days and are translated into English. During past few years, He has also been giving teachings in India that various Buddhist devotees from Taiwan and Korea. The teachings are usually translated into Chinese or Korean. He also gives public talks on topics that are close to his heart. Public talks that last about an hour that have question and answer sessions are popular on his foreign trips. He gives all these speeches to tell people what he does and what other people should do. The Dalai Lama has traveled to many countries to speak about peace and tell everyone what he does to keep peace going. The Dalai Lama has gotten many awards for peace. He has won about 55 different awards from 2000 and 2009. One of the awards is called the 2nd Citizens Peace Building Award, which is and award that engages in research, education and action supporting citizen participation in the public peace processes. Its activities aim to prevent violent conflict and in areas where violence occurs, to promote sustainable peace. The Dalai Lama will probably get more awards as he lives.

Dalai Lama - A brief biography
Wisegeek - Who is the Dala Lama
NobelPrize - 14th Dalai Lama

There are many books on the Dalai Lama, if you use this website you will find a lot of books. http://www.dalailama.com/biography/books

The Dalai Lama is a great person. He does so many things to fight for peace. He feels that everyone should live in a peaceful world and no one should harm someone in a life threatening way. I hope reading this you should learn a little more about the Dalai Lama than you knew before.