ORGANIZER

2021 INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL WINNERS LIST - BY CATEGORY

This includes all of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th place winners in each category. This list does NOT feature the special award winners, they are featured on the winners page (linked at bottom of this page).

ENVIRONMENTAL

The Sentinel - 1ST PLACE TIE

Brendan Donovan
A call to save the Antipodean Albatross.

Rainforest Action 1ST PLACE TIE

Will Parrinello
In 2020 Nemonte received the prestigious Goldman Environmental Prize and was named to Time Magazine’s Top 100, its annual list of the 100 most influential people in the world.

Alternative Future - 2ND PLACE

Will Parrinello
Chibeze Ezekiel’s four-year grassroots campaign led to the Ghanaian Environmental Minister canceling the construction of a coal-fired power plant ...

SPECIAL HERO AWARD The Story We Want - Episode 1 - Coal and Climate - 3RD PLACE

Dayna Reggero
Dayna Reggero traveled across America to listen to ordinary women who are confronting fossil fuel industries, climate change impacts, and a culture of extraction.

DOCUMENTARY

A Way Forward - 1ST PLACE

Jacob & Isaac Seigel-Boettner
A Way Forward tells the story of how something as simple as two wheels empowered these incredible young women to pursue their own dreams.

My Lucky Something - 2ND PLACE TIE

Celeste Koon
This doc mixes video and animation to bring to life the stories and memories behind the “lucky somethings” that bring hope in uncertain times.

A Turn for the Better - 2ND PLACE TIE

Judith Madigan & Mark van Luyk
Food is so fundamental to make a population a lot stronger and healthier. It is an axis that should not be neglected.

I Have Four Parents - 3RD PLACE

Daniel Roy
This video is a magical rendition of the story of my very unique four-parent family. Everything I talk about in the video is true, and these are the answers to the questions I most commonly get asked.

MUSIC VIDEO

Earth In Their Eyes - 1ST PLACE

Melahn T Atkinson, Talia Keys
Earth In Their Eyes was written for the children who will inherit this beautiful planet Earth. An urge to make it right.

Enchant - 2ND PLACE

Produced by:Adonna Finchum
Through magic and mishap, a new form of understanding and appreciation is formed in the bond of two mystical siblings.

Waptokwa Zawré - 3RD PLACE

Arandu Arakuaa
Oração xamânica, conexão com o grande espírito/ Shamanic prayer, connection with the great spirit/ Oración chamánica, conexión con el gran espíritu.

Kinder Shade of Green - 4TH PLACE

Elizabeth Usher
An anthemic and inspiring theme song for the eco-friendly vegan events run by the Living Green Festival (ACT) Inc.

NARRATIVE

LOTUS - 1ST PLACE

Angelika Fürstler, Austin Ahlborg
The Lotus flower is regarded in many cultures as a symbol of rebirth, growth and transformation.

Hesitation - 2ND PLACE

Mohammad Reza Kheradmandan
An old man is trying to cross the traffic lights, when his shopping back tears and all his fruits fall out.

Between Us - 3RD PLACE

Yusuf Rach, Kent Sutanza
A story about a couple facing a long-distance relationship and how difficult it is to be apart.

EXPERIMENTAL

The Beauty - 1ST PLACE

Pascal Schelbli
What if plastic could be integrated into sea life?

Murmuration - 2ND PLACE

Gilsub Choi, Mattia Palombi
"Murmuration" is a movie about unity and people coming together as one loud voice.

Isang Mylion (one milion) - 3RD PLACE

Tom Peyrat
"ISANG MILYON" means one million in Filipino. This is a short experimental film set in the Philippines.

HIGH SCHOOL DOCUMENTARY

Dangers Of Vaping - 1ST PLACE

Basil Patterson, Avital Mintz, Sebastian Alexandre, Miranda Bauer
A film about how vaping is marketed to children. By: Basil Paterson, Avital Mintz, Sebastian Alexandre, & Miranda Bauer

Joan Ganz Cooney: The Unsung Hero Who Led Us All To Sesame Street - 2ND PLACE TIE

Anna Brodine | Seaman High School
Joan Ganz Cooney as producer of Sesame Street, combined education and entertainment in children’s television programming..

Art of Sewing: Portrait of a Seamstress - 2ND PLACE TIE

Emmanuella Agyemang, Tamrat Gavenas, Laisha Mendez, Miranda Bauer
A portrait film of a Gahanian seamstress telling her story about how she made a career in sewing.

COLLEGE DOCUMENTARY

Dhana: The Art of Giving - 1ST PLACE

Monk Bounma Buddanoy, Monk Jatuporn Simmali, Monk Surakiart Boonmatun | MBU and ...
In Buddhist philosophy, Dhana means giving. The true meaning of giving is explained by Monks offering a way of sharing life in harmony with our planet and one another.

An Update on New York State Gun Laws - 2ND PLACE TIE

Katie Graubart
Barry Graubart gives us an update on Gun Laws in New York State.

Semi-Retired: A Day in the Life Documentary - 2ND PLACE TIE

Rebecca C. Gackler
Despite retirement, Pastor Tom Fox continues to help people everywhere he goes.

TRAILER

BYkids Trailer: AGAINST THE CURRENT - 1ST PLACE

Daunnette Moniz-Reyome | BYkids
Daunnette Moniz-Reyome (age 17) lives on the UmoNHon Native American reservation in Nebraska and wants to inspire her peers to celebrate their culture...

OutSwing [Trailer] - 2ND PLACE TIE

Samar Minallah Khan
On the outskirts of Islamabad, a committed coach teaches a team of unlikely players, their families, and a community how playing Cricket can change lives.

Miss Alma Thomas: A Life in Color - 3RD PLACE TIE

Cheri Gaulke
Alma W. Thomas lived a life of firsts: the first Fine Arts graduate of Howard University (1924), the first Black woman to mount a retrospective at the Whitney Museum ..

PORTRAIT OF AN INDIVIDUAL

Sparrow Society - Liziwe's Story - 1ST PLACE

Freddie Reed
The story of Liziwe Botha who is a disabled black woman living in a shack in the townships of Cape Town, South Africa.
HELLO SUNSHINE - 2ND PLACE TIE
Joe Quint
From giving comfort to families to saving the lives of over 500 folks in addiction, Roz knows that her healing and her survival depends upon healing others.

BYkids Trailer: BUDDHISM, BHUTAN AND ME - 2ND PLACE TIE

Rinzin | BYkids
Rinzin Jurmey (age 18) documents the ways in which he – and his country – are striving to preserve ancient practices

Clara Meyer: An Overlooked Pillar of the New School - 3RD PLACE

Produced by:Gina Luria Walker Savanna Washington Cecilia Rubino Stefania de K...
In the second episode of Women’s Legacy, a historical feminist project, we look into the life of Clara Mayer.

ANIMATION

Still Being Written - 1ST PLACE

Mélanie Gohin
A love poem illustrated and animated, this declaration is a gift dedicated to his sweetheart.

CYMK (Colors You May Know) - 2ND PLACE

David Chai
Please love one another and celebrate our differences.

Pluto: The Bringer of Transformation - 3RD PLACE

Carolyn Downie
Pluto is a little planet with a big heart...

Fear of Flying - 4TH PLACE

Ernie Berger
A young bird and a sea turtle share madcap misadventures in a coming-of-age "buddy" story.

COLLEGE ANIMATION

Heat Wave - 1ST PLACE

Fokion Xenos
In the midst of a heatwave of insanity, two children find a way to cool everyone down!

Facing it - 2ND PLACE

Sam Gainsborough | National Film and Television School UK
A man is forced to explore his own difficult memories and relationships in an evening that will leave him changed forever.

3:45 PM - 3RD PLACE

Alisha Liu
This is my 2nd year film at CalArts, thank you to everyone who supported me during the process!

¡GUAU GUAU! - 4TH PLACE

Shanelle Serrato-Muñoz
The film tells the story of a young Mexican girl as she tries to gain the trust of an apprehensive stray dog in a street market.

POETIC

Testimony - 1ST PLACE

Moisés García
Finding peace is the most important of all. While others find it in the noise, some find it in the most silent of places.

Love, Basketball - 2ND PLACE

Al Salehi | Dartmouth College
"Dear Basketball" was Kobe's retirement letter published in the Players Tribune then animated as a short 4 minute movie and ultimately won Kobe Bryant an Academy Award.

MY BLACK EVERYTHING - 3RD PLACE

Cara McPhie
In honor and celebration of Black History Month.

ARTS HEROES

The Untold Story - 1ST PLACE

Elisabetta Fox Piantoni | USC
The thing is though, that the untold story can only be told by whoever was present, by who pressed the shutter.

Agnès Varda - 2ND PLACE

Mohammad Mohammadian
Historically, Agnès Varda is seen as the New Wave's mother.

David Bowie: As Told by Ziggy - 3RD PLACE

Katie Graubart, Animation by: Jessica Ordaz
David Bowie: As Told by Ziggy gives a history of the hero that was David Bowie.

SPORTS HEROES

An Ocean of Tea - 1ST PLACE

Grégoire Scherpe
Boujmaa Guilloul, a Moroccan pro windsurfer, talk about his connection with the sea in the country of Essaouira located in Morocco.

Good Curling - 2ND PLACE

Kain Winiecke

This is a mini documentary about a local Curling Club that upholds the ideals of politeness and friendship.

Chasing Goliath - 3RD PLACE

Destiny Finn
A Short Film Documentary about a man and his impact and legacy with rock climbing in the south western culture.

HUMAN RIGHTS

Is the Taliban's return the end of music in Afghanistan? - 1ST PLACE

Cormac Walter O'Brien
"As the Taliban take control, members of 'Zohra', Afghanistan's first all-female orchestra, wonder what's next for their music and rights as women.

Rigoberta Menchú: Daughter of the Maya [Trailer] - 2ND PLACE

Dawn Engle
The story of an unlikely hero, a poor indigenous Maya girl living in a remote section of Guatemala, who survived a genocide and became a voice for her people worldwide.

BYkids Trailer: L’CHAIM - 3RD PLACE

Semon Shabaev | BYkids
Semon Shabaev (age 19) tells his story about resurgent Jewish life in Germany at a time of rising antisemitism worldwide.

MIDDLE SCHOOL

Groovy Africa Song - 1ST PLACE

Malina, Mia, Paia & Peyton | Santa Barbara Middle School
Students were given an open invitation to "show" how they could best learn to name all of the countries in Africa.

The Future is Electric - 2ND PLACE TIE

Aliana Shanks | STEAM Academy
The students at STEAM Academy discuss the benefits of electric cars. They send their teacher into time travel while giving information on their quest to change the future.

Let’s talk about it! - 2ND PLACE TIE

Vittorio Caratozzolo
The effects of the Human impact in the World can't be resolved through conflicts and wars. We need to talk about it!

Happy Anniversary, dear Dante! - 3RD PLACE

Vittorio Caratozzolo & Class 3 | Giacomo Bresadola Trento Middle School
With music and dance we remember the "ItAlien" Poet, Dante Alighieri (1265-1321).

Chemical Industries vs COVID-19 - HONORABLE MENTION

Produced by:3 A Middle School - 1 Grad | Giacomo Bresadola Trento Middle School
...a bizarre and impossible interview with the COVID-19.

ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

Love Can Heal Us All - 1ST PLACE

Azomali Obisakin
A young person states her case that love above all else is a healing force. This documentary includes interviews with parents and kids and reflects on how acting consciously in love is good for all.

Anyone Can.... - 2ND PLACE

Avni Reddy Choudepally

When one little bunny looks up to see a balloon, everything changes. This short animation shows that anything is possible no matter who or what you are.

You Count - 3RD PLACE

Julieta Vargas-Perez | Pacific Elementary School
We all matter - Julieta expresses her strong voice for social justice.

HIGH SCHOOL

57 Years Ago - 1ST PLACE

Jackson Carrico | New Roads High School
A short anti-racism music video honoring the victims of police brutality.

Climate Change - 2ND PLACE

Philip Kapadia
The film showcases the effects of climate change, and what we could face if we don't take action soon.

Fount of Music - 3RD PLACE

Joseph Hiatt
In times of conflict and turmoil, composers can be heroes.

Eu Sou Capoiera - 4TH PLACE TIE

Ambar Miranda
In this short, the filmmaker reflects on the role of Capoeira in her life and identity.

Having a Meal with my Ancestors - 4TH PLACE TIE

Deion Chaudhary
In this short, the filmmaker reflects on the ancestral history, knowledge and consciousness passed down through a traditional dish.

SHELTERING STORIES

Strangers in Boxes - 1ST PLACE

Gabriel Diamond
A group of activists—all strangers—from more than 15 countries meet online in the midst of a global pandemic.

Dear Friends - 2ND PLACE

Celeste Koon
A brief message of hope to friends December of 2020

Broken - 3RD PLLACE

Haleh Saberi
A nurse was working in an undercover fashion gathering information to expose missing patients coverups, individual, and systemic criminal behavior in the senior care and vulnerable population.

HIGH SCHOOL ANIMATION

Hania and Jacek - 1ST PLACE

Roch Karwowski , Mia Karwowska, Franciszek Karwowski

As An Asthmatic - 2ND PLACE

Alayna DeGraef, Elise DeGraef, and Bailey Revering | In-Progress
A video short about the impact of vaping on youth.

Memories of Another World - 3RD PLACE

Haley Foster | Severn School
This animated film is about a woman attending her father's funeral, and while she is there, she begins to reminisce about the times she shared with her dad...

HUMANITARIAN

Águilas/Eagles [Trailer] - 1ST PLACE

Kristy Guevara-Flanagan, Maite Zubiaurre
"Along the scorching southern desert border in Arizona, it is estimated that only one out of every five missing migrants are ever found...

The People We Serve - 2ND PLACE

Francine M Cavanaugh
The People we serves tells the history of Western North Carolina Aids Project and inspirational stories of several extraordinary individuals, from all walks of life...

Ending Child Malnutrition with Feed2Succeed - 3RD PLACE

Ben Caloza
"I AM HUNGRY." This short but compelling sentence verbalizes the plight of many malnourished young children of our world...

SOCIAL JUSTICE

The Color of COVID - 1ST PLACE

Produced by:Phil Collis | GABRIEL DIAMOND | SKOLL
A Video Poem by Darius Simpson about Race and Health Equity

60 Years and Still - 2ND PLACE

Sally Tran
WARNING - FOR MATURE AUDIENCES A table top, mixed media documentary hybrid short film covers six decades of race and injustice in America ...

Dapper Dan and the COVID-19 Vaccines - 3RD PLACE

Produced by:Francesco Rizzo and Sean Gordon-Loebl
An interview with legendary fashion designer Dapper Dan who synonymous with Harlem, a borough which has been especially hard-hit by the COVID-19 crisis.

HIGH SCHOOL EXPERIMENTAL

5400 Children - 1ST PLACE

Morgen Arguelles
A strong statement about child separation at the U.S. / Mexico border and its impact on knowledgeable youth that are watching its government's policies in action.

TRANSPARENCY: Becoming Oliver - 2ND PLACE

Tessa Grace Morell
Experimental short film made to visually accompany the original poem "Becoming Oliver" written by Oliver Marino.

Brave New World - 3RD PLACE TIE

Zoltán Bendegúz Szabó | Toldy Ferenc High School
Brave New World is about climate change.

8 Minutes and 46 Seconds - 3RD PLACE TIE

Angel Miracle Espericueta
A video poem dedicated to the memory of George Floyd and those that stood up in protest against his murder by police.

COMMUNITY

Voices - 1ST PLACE

Quinn feldman, Alyse Rockett, Jordan Slaffey, Jasmine Sugar
This Documentary focuses on 3 powerful black female voices. Alyse Rockett, Jasmine Sugar & Jordan Slaffey. Racial and gender equality will only progress if we continue fighting for it and really listen to whom we're fighting for.

Sparrow Society

Freddie Reed

- 2ND PLACESparrow Society teach women around Cape Town to be their own boss, sewing bags and other items for major brands.

Indigenous Muses - 3RD PLACE

Alexandre Canda
"This Mini-Documentary tells the story of indigenous muses Daniela, Sabrina, Laura, and Jussara.

OVERCOMING OBSTACLES

FAITH’S WORLD | BYkids Trailer - 1ST PLACE TIE
Faith Guilbault | BYkids
Faith Guilbault (age 16) has cerebral palsy and invites us to experience living with special needs so we can all treat being differently abled with humanity and normalcy.

Do You See Rainbow? 1ST PLACE TIE

Kitty Richardson
An insight into autism from the perspective of someone with autism.
Almost Normal - Through The Eyes of Autism (Trailer) - 2ND PLACE
John Austin
For most of his life he was misunderstood by his parents and those around him. But now smart phone technology shined a light on him and people are amazed at how his mind works.

EDUCATIONAL

Staying Well with Coach West - 1ST PLACE

Produced by:Carolyn Hodge-West, Jessica Ordaz, Emma Garcia, Nicole Petrovsky, Je...
Coach West helps navigate you through the emotional fallout of COVID-19 with helpful tips.

The Story of Coronavirus - 2ND PLACE

Produced by:Deborah Van Dyke
This animated film was developed in response to the coronavirus pandemic in 2020 with Yoni Goodman, in collaboration with CDC, IFRC, and UNICEF.

Cool the Climate! [Trailer] - 3RD PLACE

Denis Thomopoulos
Simon the Hippo and friends go on a song-filled adventure while learning about the world's changing climate...

VISUAL ARTS HEROES

The Art House - 1ST PLACE

Laura P. Valtorta
Ginger Westray, a retired school teacher, uses her entire house as a canvas for her painting and sculpture.

The Painting Shed - 2ND PLACE

Produced by:Alejandro Yoshizawa
A subtle, serene look at a man, the shed where he paints pictures, and the reason why.

My Mother - A Late Alienated Painter - 3RD PLACE

Camilo Gómez Durán
Lucía Durán, who was born in 1925 in Bogotá, cultivated a broad and loving heart during a happy childhood and adolescence on her father's farm, Chucundá.

HISTORICAL DOCUMENTARY

AAPI Civil Rights Heroes - Yuri Kochiyama - 1ST PLACE

Audee Kochiyama
Yuri Kochiyama is a tireless political activist who has dedicated her life to contributing to social change through her participation in social justice and human rights movements.

Forgotten Trojans: The USC Nisei Story (Excerpt) - 2ND PLACE

Produced by:Josh Johnson | USC
Follow Jon Kaji former member of USC board of Governors as he persistently searches for answers from university.

LAGUNA BEACH - Ten Challenges to its Legacy and Character - 3RD PLACE

Charles Murray & Ron Chilcote
This is the story of how the small community of Laguna Beach, known as an artist colony protected their surrounding Greenbelt from development.

CLIMATE JUSTICE

Matagi Mālohi: Strong Winds = 1ST PLACE

Forest Woodward, Canyon Woodward, Aidan Haley
We need to be the strong winds, that Matagi Mālohi, that bring the change our people need to see.

Mourning Country - 2ND PLACE

Andrew Kaineder
After the loss of his home and Aboriginal culture centre, Budawang elder Noel Butler mourns not for the structures that once stood, but for the flora and fuana we share this land with.

Road to Carbon Apocalypse - 3RD PLACE

SODEIT Cameroon
Road to Carbon Apocalypse  SODEIT Climate, Agriculture & Environmental Education (CAEE) Programme

MIDDLE SCHOOL DOCUMENTARY

The Bon-Bon Bomber: Gail Halvorsen Story - 1ST PLACE

Oscar Paul McDermott-Sipe, Tristan Alma Williams | Batchelor Middle School
Gail was inspired to drop candy to the children of Berlin and how he started a ripple effect.

Growing Peace in the Middle East [Trailer] - 2ND PLACE

Steven Hoffen
A 7th grader from New York is inspired by a visit to Sindyanna of Galilee in Israel

Martin Luther King Jr: A True Hero - 3RD PLACE

Kameron John feagans | Batchelor Middle School
This is a video about the life of Dr. Martin Luther King jr. and why he was a hero.

MIDDLE SCHOOL SCIENCE HEROES

Katherine Johnson: The Human Computer - 1ST PLACE

Jasmine Blossom Martoglio | Batchelor Middle School
This is a documentary about Katherine Johnson and why she is an American hero.

THANK A HERO: MAURICE HILLEMAN - 2ND PLACE

Jasmine Blossom Martoglio, Aurelia Sunshine Martoglio | Batchelor Middle School

This is a documentary about an unsung hero named Maurice Hilleman who created an amazing amount of vaccines, and made it possible for modern vaccines to work.

Dr. Anthony Fauci: A Hero In Healthcare - 3RD PLACE

Breckin Tyler Anderson, Beau Badger | Lora Batchelor Middle School
Amid the ongoing coranavirus pandemic, Dr. Anthony Fauci has delivered Americans everywhere scientifically correct research surrounding the pandemic...

Dr Maurice Hilleman an Unknown Hero - 4TH PLACE

Abi Marie Goodwin & Leo Douglas Rusch | Batchelor Middle School
This is a documentary about the life of Maurice Hilleman.

STUDENT SHELTERING STORIES

The Empty Classroom - 1ST PLACE

Sofia Junco | STEAM Academy
This is a a video poem that depicts the empty feeling of the situation and how eventually we will grow and return to the wonders of education.

The Bright Star Musical: A Full Behind-The-Scenes Look - 2ND PLACE

Ricky Mac Wong | Arcadia High School
Actors, producers, and student staff speak about their challenges, hopes, and successes that went into filming “Bright Star.”

Days of Quarantine - 3RD PLACE

Noor Tarek
A reflection on the pain and growth during the shelter in place.

Schooling During a Pandemic - 4TH PLACE

Keiora D Williams | Borough of Manhattan Community College
Interviewing my siblings about how they feel about online schooling since we are in a pandemic

VIEW WINNERS PAGE BELOW FEATURING SPECIAL AWARDS & 1ST PLACE WINNERS

Organizer created on 11/29/2021 5:10:08 PM by Wendy Milette

Last edited 12/1/2021 5:53:00 PM by Rachel Priebe