2022 INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL WINNERS LIST - BY CATEGORY

This includes all of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th place winners in each category. This list does NOT feature the special award winners, they are featured on the winners page (linked at bottom of this page).

ENVIRONMENTAL

Who Should Decide The Future of the Amazon? - 1ST PLACE TIE

Martin Kingman | Executive Producer: Amazon Frontlines
A global campaign aims to raise awareness on the urgent need to respect Indigenous people's right to decide over the future of their territories, cultures & lives.

Pieces of Us - 1ST PLACE TIE

Anthony Wahome Njuguna
Pieces of Us’ reminds us of the positive and negative impacts of tourism, and what can be achieved by human ingenuity in the fight against plastic pollution.

Rights of Nature - 2ND PLACE

Produced by:Will Parrinello | Executive Producer - Goldman Environmental Prize
Alex Lucitante and Alexandra Narvaez spearheaded an Indigenous movement to protect their people’s ancestral territory from gold mining. Alexandra and Alex are recipients of the Goldman Environmental Prize

The Tree Farmer - 3RD PLACE

Produced by:Conservation Media
Reese Thompson grows trees for a living, but it's the wild parts of his plantation that are at the heart of his work.

DOCUMENTARY

Inclusion On the Air - 1ST PLACE

Eli Canter
Emily Perl Kingsley is a former Sesame Street writer and longtime activist for children with disabilities and their families.

Hecho en Agua - 2ND PLACE

Kat Reynolds, Brenda Gallegos
Our lives are connected to the water - the ocean means connection to self, community and the earth.

A Look Back - 3RD PLACE TIE

Keith Collins Reagan
A U.S. Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer looks back almost 30 years at the first prominent filmed helicopter rescue operation and its impact on his life.

WHAT IF? - 3RD PLACE TIE

Cali Gilbert
Individuals across the globe, from all walks of life, come together to question some of our biggest societal issues.

MUSIC VIDEO

WE THE PEOPLE - 1ST PLACE

Nimo Patel
This is a song about coming together. It has been saddening to experience the social division and polarization in the world. This song is my heartfelt response to the collective pain we all share.

Singing in the Dark Times - 2ND PLACE

Alan Magee
A five-minute musical film affirming that art can survive the dark times and continue to address injustice in its many forms.

Daddy Will You Hold My Hand? - 3RD PLACE TIE

Produced by:Paul McClure
For fathers all over the world - how our lives are changed forever and for the better on becoming a father.

Twenty 4 Seven - 3RD PLACE TIE

Robert Smith
Emphasis on what Los Angeles City Fire Department does to prepare for the daily challenges.

Too Much - 4TH PLACE

Candice Holdorf, Gabriel Diamond
Documentary-style music video for The Feelings Parade's song, "Too Much" - which explores the subject of body autonomy and safety on the streets.

NARRATIVE

Milk - 1ST PLACE

Celia Jaspers
When she sees an old man unable to pay for his milk, a young girl has a change of heart.

Andy & Kaliope - 2ND PLACE

Crystal Arnette, Catriona Rubenis-Stevens
When Andy must move to yet another foster home, his case worker helps him connect to his inner superhero.

Chakel's Way - 3RD PLACE

Produced by:Beats By Dre
Chakel struggles to balance family, art, and college applications.

EXPERIMENTAL

The Future Innu - 1ST PLACE

Produced by:Wapikoni Mobile

An ode to the land in relation to my double identity as an urban Indigenous person. A story that is both personal and poetic.

Bridging the Gap - 2ND PLACE

Nina Ross, Meg Barrett
This film will challenge your perspective on hearing voices, open your eyes on medicalisation, and beg the question ‘what even is reality?’

joyful - 3RD PLACE

Simantini Chakraborty
joyful is a unique audio-visual exploration of finding joy in all the turmoil that surrounds us.

GOLTAM - 4TH PLACE

Susanna Beltrami, stefano fedalli
Experimental dance performance by Ideh Abootalebi.

HIGH SCHOOL DOCUMENTARY

The White Rose - 1ST PLACE

Ian Kim
The story of the German students who resisted the Nazis by distributing incendiary leaflets.

Fractured Democracy - 2ND PLACE

Matt Fahn
In this short documentary, I deeply analyzed Roe V. Wade's overall impact it has on the political state of the country.

A Day in the Life of a Plastic Bottle - 3RD PLACE

Produced by:Jasper County High School
In mini-documentary style, a plastic water bottle is purchased then followed through a typical day in the hands of a high school student.

The Story of José Rizal - 4TH PLACE

Ben Caloza
This is a short biographical film about the life and death of José Rizal, considered by many to be a national hero of the Philippines.

COLLEGE DOCUMENTARY

Hello Anna! - 1ST PLACE

Lucy Schacher
Author and illustrator Anna Walker recounts her memories of writing and creating her award-winning children's books.

Swap Film .Co: Behind the Shutter - 2ND PLACE

Naomi Garcia Pasmanick
Emmanuel Blackwell III establishes SwapFilm.Co, a small film processing company that also creates a tightly knit community of San Francisco photographers

Reclamation - 3RD PLACE

Anna Von Pechmann
A young, native woman reconnecting with her culture through beading and jewelry making.

TRAILER

Rural Runners (Trailer) - 1ST PLACE TIE

Forest Woodward
RURAL RUNNERS follows a progressive climate activist as she becomes the youngest representative elected to both the Maine House of Representatives and Senate.

I Could Tell You 'Bout My Life (Trailer) - 1ST PLACE TIE

Produced by:BYKids
On April 10th, 2017 New York Governor Andrew Cuomo signed a law and New York is now raising the age of criminal responsibility to 18 years old.

The PRATT in the HAT (Trailer) - 2ND PLACE

Susan Hillary
Beneath the brims of hundreds of colorful hats is a woman who shares her wisdom, humor, and personal experiences about being black in America, then and now.

the sky is the limit (Trailer) - 3RD PLACE

Produced by:Juan Ballesteros
The film, produced by the mother, is about the life of her 33 yrs old daughter Emma who has Down's Syndrome.

PORTRAIT OF AN INDIVIDUAL

Phyllis: A Self Portrait - 1ST PLACE

Harris Cohen
Phyllis: A Self Portrait traces this remarkable woman’s inspirational life using her abilities to further the arts in community.

YouthBridge- My Hero - Sister Scholastica - 2ND PLACE

Produced by:YouthBridge

Sven - 3RD PLACE TIE

Destiny Finn
A man who dared to pursue living his life to the fullest and his passion for Alaskan Dog Mushing.

Becoming Kaz Smith - 3RD PLACE TIE

Owen Alexander Johnson
Kaz Smith tells his story of gender transition, and how it's changed his life for the better.

ANIMATION

Andy - 1ST PLACE

Jamy Wheless | Executive Producer: Jean Schultz | Lead Animator: Brendan Gottlie...
An uplifting story of how one puppy overcomes a series of obstacles to find his purpose in life.

BOUNDLESS - 2ND PLACE TIE

David Chai
Come swim with us through the limitless pools of our trans and non-binary spirits.

Picchu - 2ND PLACE TIE

Produced by:FuzzyPixel
Picchu is a story that follows the journey of an Andean girl named Mayu and the unconditional support of her mother.

The Lost Lullaby - 3RD PLACE

Fauzia Minallah
'The Lost Lullaby' is my vision for a better future for our world. We have to bring back the lost lullabies of our beautiful Mother Nature.

COLLEGE ANIMATION

The Invisible - 1ST PLACE

Produced by:The Animation School
Journeying through a seaside town, the elderly Ida remains unseen

Ember - 2ND PLACE TIE

Produced by:The Animation School
In the Fynbos, Mbali a Nature Sprite looks at all the plants with concern. She tries to revive a wilted flower. Defeated, Mbali sees fiery embers float past.

Sorry For Your Loss - 2ND PLACE TIE

Kirsten Lewis, Kate Munro
A polar bear loses his home due to climate change.

There You Are - 3RD PLACE

Rui Huang
After her mother dies, a teenager, Su, feels estranged from her father who seems to have already moved on.

POETIC

I am Cheo - 1ST PLACE

Pablo Irlando-Wildman
Inspired by the poem “I Am Joaquin” by Chicano poet Corky Gonzales

The Poet - 2ND PLACE TIE

Cheikh Darou Seck

-Mohameth Niane, from Senegal, shares his poem about the need to respect women and stop violence against them. Others chime in on his poetry.

8 POEMS OF EMIGRATION - 2ND PLACE TIE

Kurtulus Ozgen

An essay film which focuses on the immigration crisis of the world.

ARTS HEROES

Inside the Beauty Bubble (Trailer) - 1ST PLACE

Cheryl Bookout, Cheri Gaulke
Inside the Beauty Bubble follows self-proclaimed hairstorian, famed stylist and collector of hair artifacts Jeff Hafler.

Alan Magee: art is not a solace [excerpts] - 2ND PLACE

P. David Berez, David Wright
This film comprises three short excerpts from a documentary about the artist Alan Magee.

Painted Blue - 3RD PLACE

Robin Fisher
A short film following wildlife painter, David Miller. The film follows what inspired him to swim with blue sharks and his masterpiece paintings of the sharks.

MIDDLE SCHOOL

Not All Superheroes Are in Comic Books - 1ST PLACE

Surjin Banwait
When you hear the word “heroes,” TV and comic book characters probably come to mind. But they are not the only heroes. In fact, everyone can be a hero.

Small Things Add Up - 2ND PLACE

Noah Schreiner

Noah Schreiner documents a visit to Dolphin Research Center and shares how we can all do our part to help solve the problem of plastics in the ocean.

Buy My Videos - 3RD PLACE

Therese Dunn
A middle school girl shares her perspective on life and asks viewer to buy her videos.

ELEMENTARY DOCUMENTARY

Good Medicine - 1ST PLACE TIE

Animikiikaakwezenz, Babaamaashikwens, Bezhigo Binesiikwens, Nigigoonsikwe, Wacha...
The traditions that surround girls and their dance regalia and the process of learning how to dance.

Racism Must Stop - 1ST PLACE TIE

Azomali Obisakin | In-Progress
A documentary short exploring the impact of racism on the lives of children and adults.

Miigo Ezhi Beshigoyaan Dibishkoo Gidakiiminaan (I Am One With The Land) - 2ND PLACE

Agwajiing Gwiiwizens Beauliieu, Waaban Beaulieu, Aabinoojiinh Headbird, Ondaanim...
This short acts as a message to young people about the importance of staying connected to the land, the language, cultural practices and elders.

SCIENCE HEROES

Discovering Plastic Pollution in Bali - 1ST PLACE

Karen B. Song
Taking a look at the harmful effects of plastic pollution on local environments in Indonesia.

MASTS Next Gen Climate Leaders - 2ND PLACE

John McCaffery

Scotland’s inspirational young climate leaders are sharing their passion about tackling climate change.

Marie (Trailer) - 3RD PLACE

Kamen Sway
Marie Curie flashes back through the many trials and tribulations in her harsh life and what she underwent to accomplish her remarkable scientific discoveries.

STOP MOTION ANIMATION

BLEUE'S BREATH - 1ST PLACE

Michael J Lutman
Young Bleue finds herself lost at sea amidst a violent storm that alters her world beyond her reality.

Wasteminster: A Downing Street Disaster - 2ND PLACE

Produced by:Greenpeace UK
The British government claims to be a world leader in tackling plastic pollution but the UK is the 2nd biggest producer of plastic waste per person in the world

Plastic Ecosystem - 3RD PLACE

Stefie Gan

Follows the journey of “new marine life” in the oceans and their behaviors. Millions of tons of plastics litter the oceans and we study their behaviors.

PSA

Missing Migrants - 1ST PLACE

Raj Yagnik, Kris Genjin
In the last 6 years more than 40,000 people have disappeared on migration journeys. Most of their families don’t know they're alive or dead.

Pandemic, Virtual Lessons, Published Papers - 2ND PLACE

Andra Janieks
Nonprofit organization 5 Gyres looks back on a 2020 full of pivots as we kept calm and carried on

Smile of the Mask - 3RD PLACE

Abbas Ghazali

This film is about a woman who is a victim of acid attack and her face is not normal for this reason it is difficult for her to be present in the community.

HUMANITARIAN

SGT. PUSHUP | Helping Children One Pushup at a Time (Trailer) - 1ST PLACE

Brandon Hill, Maverick Farrah
Patrick Parker, a decorated war veteran who loves his country, created the character of 'Sgt. Pushup' to feed children

Building a Shower Trailer for Chico's Houseless on a Budget... of Love! - 2ND PLACE TIE

Produced by:Respectful Revolution
This video is one of the latest from the Respectful Revolution project that is dedicated to documenting humane solutions to our world's many challenges.

LITTLE BIG STEVE (Trailer) - 2ND PLACE TIE

Produced by:Yves Matthey
A portrait of a guy with surprising resilience and his return to the shanty town, where he began his life!

Elder Care - 3RD CARE

Produced by:Uncommonsense Films
India is greying. This demographic shift is creating new and often unrecognized social challenges, particularly amongst the poor and marginalized.

SERIES

The Sea and Me - Atop - 1ST PLACE

Produced by:Marine Conservation Society

Charlotte Banfield is a world-class para surfer that until a few years ago was completely afraid of water.

Is Recycling a Lie? - 2ND PLACE

Produced by:OceanHero

In this Episode of my 'Ocean Education for all' Series we link up with Chako Zanzibar.

Keep On Venting - Ep. 1 - A Hydrothermal What? - 3RD PLACE

Brittany Washington

Come aboard Research Vessel Falkor and let SOI's Science Communication intern Brittany Washington explain wondrous and beautiful underwater features

FAMILY HEROES

Pitoc e icinakosian - 1ST PLACE

Produced by:Wapikoni Mobile
Gerry and their big brother Jos show us that there is more to being different than bullying, discrimination and harassment.

Joss Lotuses to Grandma - 2ND PLACE TIE

Stefie Gan

A girl returns to Malaysia after her grandma’s death.

Pink Ribbon - 2ND PLACE TIE

Luisa Elizondo Rodriguez, Karen Marisol Figueroa Espinoza
Skye begins to experience family issues like her mother’s terminal cancer, who she promises to take care of before she becomes a memory.

COMMUNITY HEROES

The Guardian – Teachers In America - 1ST PLACE

Produced by:The Guardian
Perspective of life as a teacher.

Our Way - 2ND PLACE

Produced by:Wapikoni Mobile
Two young Innu women take up the old roads of the past to revive the identity of their Nation; a tribute to the Elders, the territory and the Innu people.

Fearless: A Journey of Hope - 3RD PLACE TIE

Patrícia Amaral

Judo have the untapped potential to cultivate a better world for all and promote sustainable development at individual, community, and global levels.

Eight Points to Peace - 3RD PLACE TIE

Produced by:Twin Cities Nonviolent
The film discusses the solutions to the violence that plagues the Twin Cities

WOMEN'S RIGHTS

UKWATI // The Wedding - 1ST PLACE

Produced by:Watts of Love
“UKWATI” captures the relationship between a mother and her daughter as they both struggle to survive.

Walk On My Own (Trailer) - 2ND PLACE

Produced by:ByKids
In her film, 13-year-old Ndèye Fatou Fall tells how her life has been affected by profound changes that occurred in her village a few years before she was born.

Chinese Girl Wants Vote - 3RD PLACE

Jinna Kim
Documentary short film on suffragist Dr. Mabel Ping-Hua Lee inspired by centennial of the passage of the 19th amendment for women's constitutional right to vote

OVERCOMING OBSTACLES

Super Ruby - 1ST PLACE

Dean Saffron
This piece pays homage to the power of positivity generated by Ruby, a young sporting champion who endeavours to lead her best life everday.

When Mama and Me Lived Outside: One Family's Journey Through Homelessness - 2ND PLACE

Peter Menchini
This is an animated short movie.

High Road (Trailer) - 3RD PLACE

Lindsey Hagen
High Road celebrates the unbreakable bond between Paralympian Meg Fisher and Jack Berry a young para athlete who's cycling career is just beginning to unfold.

Who Said You Can't Dance - 4TH PLACE

David Block
Wheelchair users, whether athletically mobile or not can learn to dance with a standing partner.

PORTRAIT OF AN ORGANISATION

who we are... - 1ST PLACE

Noah Below
Pathway to Independence, a non profit organization, provides a way for women to rejuvenate their lives and allows them to live a life of independence.

The Sustainability Laboratory - 2ND PLACE

Produced by:Regenerative TV
A short video highlighting the good work of Dr. Michael Ben-Eli & the Sustainability Laboratory in their mission to save the planet.

Project Transition - 3RD PLACE TIE

Produced by:Regenerative TV

A short video detailing the Sustainability Laboratory's initiative Project Transition.

The Global Sustainability Fellow's (GSF) Program - 3RD PLACE TIE

Produced by:Regenerative TV

A short video detailing the Sustainability Laboratory's program the Global Sustainability Fellow's (GSF) Program.

WELLNESS

So Much More to Offer - 1ST PLACE TIE

Cullen Burt, Grant Cosko, Xingyu (Vicky) Gu, Hunter Hartz, Aliiv Jiao, Saleen Le...

Lyndzi uses her own experience of being treated unfairly as a plus-sized person to raise people’s attention toward body positivity.

Mental Health Awareness - 1ST PLACE TIE

Andy Crisp
Bringing awareness to mental health in Laguna Beach Unified School District.

Sokinaa' Passkaan Aassisstoi (Healing Bells) - 2ND PLACE

Produced by:Wapikoni Mobile
This film is inspired by true events. Through an emotional approach, we discover resiliency through dance.

Fat Kid Dance Party - 3RD PLACE

Lena Nozizwe

When your workout is body positive.

CLIMATE JUSTICE

Nature Needs You - 1ST PLACE

Mark Pearce
Industrial resource developments continue to put at risk our natural and cultural significance.

Common Thread (Trailer) - 2ND PLACE TIE

Frank Fazzio
The Common Thread film joins together global filmmakers speaking with children worldwide about the planet and their concerns for their generation's future.

Project Wadi Attir - 2ND PLACE TIE

Produced by:Regenerative TV
A short video detailing the Sustainability Laboratory's initiative Project Wadi Attir.

Wells Fargo: Defund Line 3 - 3RD PLACE

Peter D Menchini
Wells Fargo and BlackRock are selling out your future. Our indigenous-led art party brought the message to their executives.

MIDDLE SCHOOL DOCUMENTARY

The Forgotten Hero - Carl Lutz - 1ST PLACE

Daniel Joseph Taylor
This video is about the Holocaust hero Carl Lutz, who saved 62,000 Jews during his lifetime.

Stories of the Holocaust - 2ND PLACE TIE

Produced by:STEAM Academy

Miriam Granat shared her difficulties and atrocities, while still focusing on the wonderful people that helped her survive through harrowing events in her life.

Scott Joplin - 2ND PLACE TIE

Produced by:Lora Batchelor Middle School
This is a Documentary on Scott Joplin who is a hero of mine who is a pianist of the 1800s.

Mahatma Gandhi: A Hero - 3RD PLACE

Annika Smith, Everly Clark, Olivia Beyers
This is a documentary about the life and career of Mahatma Gandhi.

MIDDLE SCHOOL WOMEN HEROES

Anne Frank; A Hero - 1ST PLACE TIE

This video is about the life of Anne Frank.

Malala: The Story of a Hero - 1ST PLACE TIE

This is a video about Malala Yousafzai and how she stood up for women's rights.

Dian Fossey; A Hero - 2ND PLACE

This is a film about the life and career of Dian Fossey.

Amelia Earhart - 3RD PLACE

Annika Smith & Quinn Reynolds | Lora Batchelor Middle School

It is a documentary about Amelia Earhart and how she is a hero.

ELEMENTARY POETIC

Sky so Blue - 1ST PLACE

Gehrig Blackburn | Pacific Elementary School

A poem appreciating the wonders of nature.

Waking from a Dream about Forests - 2ND PLACE TIE

Maeta Gray | Pacific Elementary School
A poem appreciating forests

The Ocean - 2ND PLACE TIE

Trillium Russell | Pacific Elementary School

A poem about nature

The Perfect Wave - 3RD PLACE TIE

Avery Quilici | Pacific Elementary School

A poem about the ocean and the beach.

The Morning Mist - 3RD PLACE TIE

Mateo Sotelo | Pacific Elementary School

A poem about the beauties of the different times of the day.

RACIAL JUSTICE

Illegitimate Voice - 1ST PLACE

Taylor Bazile, Will Casse, Uma Chatterjee,, Ashley Clark, Victoria Cruell, Pedro...

Stefie Gan recounts her experiences with culture shock, racism, and ultimately activism after moving from Malaysia to the United States.

The Space Between Us - 2ND PLACE

Produced by:Phil Collis

A radical somatic dialog about race and gender.

Powerlands (Trailer) - 3RD PLACE

Produced by:Jordan Flaherty
Powerlands is a new documentary directed by Ivey Camille Manybeads Tso.

ELEMENTARY ENVIRONMENTAL 

Endangered Species - 1ST PLACE

Produced by:Quinn, Moses, Shyon, Logan

An original song and video to raise awareness about endangered species. Made by Elementary students.

The Last Iceberg - 2ND PLACE

Kealia King

Kealia created this original stop motion video to raise awareness about how climate change is affecting animals who live in the arctic.

Fungi to the Rescue - 3RD PLACE

Produced by:6th Graders at Pacific Elementary School
Pacific School students interview student researchers at UCSC about their work with FUNGI

ELEMENTARY FAMILY HEROES

My Hero's Chair- 1st Place tie

Brock Brenner
My superhero is no longer of this world…yet …he is forever of MY world, because superheroes never die.

A Letter to my Dad - 1st Place tie

Brock Brenner
A film created to capture the milestones between a father and a young son.

Always in Our Hearts - 2nd place

Animikiikaakwezenz, Nigigoonsikwe, Wachaga, Babaamaashikwens, Bezhigo, Binesiikw...
A short about girls relationships with their ribbon skirts and how those skirts honor their relationships with other women in their lives.

Organizer created on 11/18/2022 3:51:18 PM by Kitty Richardson

Last edited 11/18/2022 9:36:55 PM by Wendy Milette