ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE LESSON PLAN

One Class Period Environmental Science Lesson Plan for Elementary Students

Two lesson plans: One curated for younger elementary students and another for upper elementary students. 

Class Period Environmental Lesson Elementary

Younger Elementary Students

The Ocean We Want To Know

Produced by:Macgillivray Freeman Films

One World One Ocean's new animated video celebrates the wonders of the ocean with stunning facts about our connection to the planet's lifeline. (2:57 minutes run time)

The Plastic Perils of The Pacific

Produced by:Brandon & Carlene Strathmann

Pollution is not a species-specific problem. (4:02 minutes run time)

All the Way to the Ocean

Produced by:Joel Harper

A story about two friends and their discovery of the relationship between our cities' storm drains and the world's oceans, lakes and rivers. (9:55 minutes run time)

MABON ‘The 8 year old activist’

Jack Davies

Our world has a serious ocean plastics problem. There are now a higher number of plastics in the ocean than the number of fish. (4:39 minutes run time)

Discussion Questions and Activity Suggestions

1. What are 3 or more facts that you learned from these videoes?

2. Why is plastic bad for the ocean and other waterways?

3. Create a poster of ocean life. 

4. Download the Coloring Book below for students to learn more about ocean life and the importance of kelp.

Download and print this coloring and activity book to teach elementary students about the importance of Kelp as a habitat for marine life. 

Laguna Bluebelt Coloring and Activity Book
Credit: Laguna Bluebelt

Films for Upper Elementary Students (These films have a total run time of approximately 24 minutes)

Plastic Plague

Produced by:Jody Lemmon

Plastic pollution is threatening the ocean's ecosystems, but we can work together to prevent further damage! (4:46 minutes run time)

MABON ‘The 8 year old activist’

Jack Davies

The Last Straw

Lynne Cherry

Nine-year-old Milo Cress is concerned about the millions of straws that pollute waterways, waste fossil-fuel resource,s and harm ocean creatures. (4:28 minutes run time)

Olivia's Birds and the Oil Spill

Produced by:Lynne Cherry

Young Olivia loves birds and creates over 500 paintings of her feathered friends to raise funds for Audubon's bird rescue. (6:44 minutes run time)

The Secret of Trees

Produced by:Albert Maysles

What do trees know that we don't? 13-year-old inventor Aiden set out to find out. (3:35 minutes run time)

1. Why is plastic bad for the health of our oceans? How has this problem developed over time? What can be done to improve the situation?

2. In the film The Last Straw, Milo Cress identified a problem, got others involved, and created an action plan. Are there ways you can be inspired by Milo and reduce the use of straws where you live?

3. What else is bad for the ocean and marine life?

4. Mabon and his mother clean the beaches where they live. Is there an area near where you live that has trash or is overgrown? Is there anything you or your class can do?

5. What is solar power? 

Additional Environmental Films Curated for Elementary Students

Elementary Environmental Films

Organizer created on 3/31/2022 2:15:34 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 4/22/2024 9:16:41 AM by Laura Nietzer