Abraham Lincoln

by Crystian from Colorado

Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1804. Abraham was born in a poor cabin. His parents were Thomas and Nancy Hanks Lincoln. When he was growing up, he became an expert at chopping wood. In 1818, at the age of 34-years-old, Abraham’s mom died of a disease called milk sickness.

Abraham became a president. He didn’t like the idea of slavery going on in America. On January 1, 1863 he said no more slaves. So everybody was proud of him.

Abraham wrote a letter called the Gettysburg Address. Union armies won two great victories in 1863. On November 19 1863, ceremonies were held to dedicate a cemetery on the Gettysburg battlefield.

Abraham Lincoln was assassinated on April 14, 1865. John Wilkes Booth, one of the best actors of the day, had shot the president in the head from the rear of the presidential box. Lincoln died the next day at 7:22 am on April 15. On May 4, Lincoln was buried in Oak Ridge Cemetery in Springfield.

I think that’s why he was a hero, because he freed the slaves and he did a lot of things for his country. He is on the five-dollar bill and the penny.