Alexander Graham Bell

by Chase from Calgary

Alexander Graham Bell drawing (by Chase)

I choose this person because he made ideas become reality. He was credited with the invention of the telephone in 1876. The book I'm reading on him is a biography. The book is thirty-two pages long. The author of my book is Elizabeth MacLeod. She likes to read, sing, swim and tap dance.

Alexander Graham Bell was born March 3, 1847 in Edinburgh, Scotland. He died from complications related to diabetes on August 2, 1922 in Baddeck when he was 75 yrs old. His dad's name was Alexander Melville Bell his mother was Eliza Grace Symonds, and his wife's name was Mabel Gardiner Hubbard. He had two brothers named Melville James Belland and Edward Charles Bell. Alexander Graham Bell had two children named Elise Bell and Edward Bell Alexander. His grandfather's named is Alexander Bell. He attended school at Edinburgh's Royal High School for two years. He was a great student in science, and everything else was below the academic honour role. He went to Weston House Academy. His mother and father were both deaf, and in 1868-1876, Alexander went to teach the deaf at Sarah Fuller's school for the deaf, in Boston.

Alexander faced many challenges because the Americans did not believe in him, because it would affect their business and things they sell. When he was inventing, he failed many times, but he kept on trying and then he invented his biggest invention, the telephone, when he was 29 years old. Alexander also invented the vibraphone, photophone, telectroscope, metal detector, optical telephone, voice telegraph, and hydrofoil watercraft. There is a company named the Bell Telephone Company, which is specifically from Alexander Graham Bell's name. The Bell Company is extremely well known and is of the biggest communication companies around today. The person that influenced Alexander Graham Bell's hard work would be his upbringing and family tradition. Of course his father and mother were a huge influence. Awards that Alexander Graham Bell earned were the Hughes Medal, Albert Medal, Elliott Cresson, Edison Medal and John Friz Medal.

If I ever meet this person I would ask them these 3 questions. What was the your biggest failure in inventing the telephone? What inventions did you come up with that no one knows about today? Did you ever get shocked by wiring stuff up and testing inventions? I like the book I chose because it gave me a lot of information so I can research information on this. The things that I learned from my book were if you dream about something, and try really hard, you can make anything a reality. I'm happy that I chose this person because he is really a smart guy and invented the very popular telephone we use today. I look up to this guy because he went to teach the deaf. Back in that time, he saved people from going through life with no hearing and no communication to each other. For people who love inventions and want to learn about technology we use today, this book would be great information for anyone.