Andrés Bonifacio

by Jed from Long Beach, California

"What kind of love is more pure and more majestic, like the love for your native country. What kind of love?There's nothing more, nothing." - Andrés Bonifacio

Andres Bonifacio, (born Nov. 30, 1863, Manila—died May 10, 1897, Mt. Buntis, Phil.), Philippine patriot, founder and leader of the nationalist Katipunan society, who instigated the revolt of August 1896 against the Spanish.

Andrés Bonifacio y de Castro
Andrés Bonifacio y de Castro

Andrés Bonifacio was born to a Tagalog father and a Spanish mother on November 30, 1863 in Tondo, Manila. Even though his parents were poor, as a young man Andrés read prolifically, specifically books about politics, religion, and law. These books inspired him about freedom and how every person deserves it. So, on July, 3 1982, Andrés joined La Liga Filipina, a group that wanted change from Spanish rule in the Philippines, but the society was disbanded after Jose Rizal, the leader, was arrested. After the disbandment, Andrés Bonifacio created the group called the Katipunan, which is short for Kataastaasan Kagalang-galang na Katipunan nang manga Anak nang Bayan (KKK).

The Katipunan grew slowly at first but by 1896 it had around 100,000 members and branches in Manila, central Luzon and on the islands of Panay, Mindoro, and Mindanao. Its members were mostly workers and peasants.

The Katipunan started the Philippine Revolution on August 23, 1896 and they slowly fought for their freedom. The Philippines gained its independence from Spain on July 12, 1898 with Andrés Bonifacio, "Father of the Philippine Revolution" leading the way.

Wikipedia - - Bonifacio Biography
Filipino Heroes - - Bonifacio Biography
Philippine History - - Katipunan Information