Amelia Earhart

by McKayla from Atglen

Amelia Earhart: More Extraordinary Than Life Itself

Amelia Earhart (1897-1937)

She was born in Atchison, Kansas on July 24, 1897. She didn't really have one home because she moved from place to place.  Some people might think that would be fun because you would know a lot of different people, but it wasn't like that for Amelia.  For Amelia it was hard to make friends because she didn't have enough time to get to know them, and it was also hard to do well academically.

Accomplishments

One major accomplishment Amelia had was being the first woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean, along with being the first women to fly the Atlantic solo.  On October 22, 1922 she flew her plane 14,000 feet.  (The world altitude record for female pilot.)Amelia was the 16th women to get issued to a pilot's license.  Another major accomplishment is she was the first women to fly across the Atlantic Ocean, along with being the first woman to fly the Atlantic solo.  Something Amelia had to overcome was dealing with her drug addict father.

Interesting Facts

Some people think Amelia Earhart is boring but there are some really interesting facts about Amelia, like Congress awarded her the Distinguished Flying Cross, the first ever given to a woman.  Or the press dubbed her "Lady Lindy".

Traits

There are a lot of words that can describe Amelia Earhart but these are just a few of them, there is Determination, Dedication, and Sacrifice.  How determination describes Amelia Earhart is, Amelia was so determined to fly sometimes she flew in the rain.  Then there is dedication, Amelia was so dedicated she spent almost all of her time at the airfield and read anything she could find on flying.  Lastly there is sacrifice, she sacrificed her life and to be able to fly.

Amelia The Hero

Absolutely, without a doubt, Amelia Earhart is a hero because she showed men that we women are unbelievable and can do things just as good as men, for some occasions even better than men.  Amelia is such a brilliant, miraculous, amazing role model.  Though throughout all the things she has done, she wouldn't be a hero if she didn't have one thing every hero has to have, kindness, care, and an open heart. (Not literally.)  If you want know the real meaning of hero here's your chance to find out...  it's Amelia.