Amelia Earhart

by Sami from San Diego

Nobody would’ve thought a woman would fly across the ocean, set flying records, or fly around the world. Amelia Earhart took everyone by surprise when she did all of these things. Amelia Earhart was a woman aviator determined to reach her dreams and took women history to new heights. Amelia proved women could accomplish just as much as men through her quick thinking, courage, and perseverance.

Amelia was an inspiration for women everywhere and made a big impact on women in history. Amelia Earhart was born on July 24, 1897 in Atchison, Kansas. Her father was a railroad attorney and she moved many times throughout her childhood. She first realized her love for flying at an air show and took flying lessons from Neta Snook. Amelia became the first woman to fly across the ocean and was a role model for all women aviators. She married George Putnam in February 1931. She set many flying records and planned to fly across the world. On July 2, Amelia and her navigator, Fred Noonan, went missing and have never been found. Amelia accomplished a lot in her lifetime and still remains an idol for women.

Amelia used quick-thinking to get through troubling situations. For example, “she ran into a dense fog at 12,000 feet, in a plane with no instruments at all, and almost crashed but was finally able to land safely” (Earhart, DISCovering Biography). She had clear headedness in a time of danger and managed to land the plane safely. She remained calm under pressure. In 1932 Amelia attempted to fly across the Atlantic. “The plane ran into a violent electrical storm, the altimeter failed, and ice collected on the wings. As the plane went into a tailspin, it descended 3,000 feet before regaining stability, only to have the engine catch on fire. Exhausted by these problems, Earhart decided to land in Ireland rather than continue on to Paris as planned” (Earhart, UXL Biographies). Amelia didn’t panic and survived the plane emergency. Even after the accident, she didn’t give up on flying. She used logic in dangerous conditions and didn’t let them hold her back.

Amelia had courage and was daring to do the impossible. Amelia flew across the ocean, which had never done before by a woman. Despite the hazards of flying she stuck with it and had persistence. Amelia also provided care and service for others in the community. “After seeing wounded servicemen on the streets of Toronto, she volunteered to work as a nurse’s aide at a local military hospital” (Earhart, DISCovering Biography). Amelia was caring and wanted to help others. She had the courage to aid others and the bravery to stand for women’s rights.

Amelia was an inspiration because of her determination and perseverance. Amelia didn’t let anyone or anything stop her from obtaining her dreams. “She was considered a spokesperson for women aviators” (Earhart, UXL Biographies). She proved women could achieve great things and was motivational. “She began designing her own line of clothes “for the woman who lives actively”” (Amelia Earhart Birthplace Museum). Amelia hoped to inspire others to strive towards their goals and share her success. Amelia Earhart didn’t hold back her dreams because she was a woman; she achieved them and will remain a hero throughout history.