Amelia Mary Earhart

by Andrew from San Diego

During the 20th century the portrait above was the face for American women. Amelia Mary Earhart is an aviation legend and famous for her extraordinary talent and bravery. She spoke out to women saying that they can achieve anything in life. In Earhart’s lifetime she had done many out of the things that may have been impossible at the time and from a female. Though not the first female aviator, Earhart was the founder of women's aviation because of her amazing goals. Amelia Earhart is a hero because she has accomplished incredible heights more than many American women during her life, proving her strength and determination to the world of what she loved doing.

Born on July 24, 1897, Atchison, Kansas, Earhart was the daughter of Edwin and Amy Otis Earhart. When she was twelve she lived with her grandparents that were very wealthy. She attended a private school and has a summer job with her father for railroad construction. Amelia’s passion for aviation all started when she attended an air show at Long Beach in 1920. She took a short plane ride and as soon as the plane had landed she had a realization of what she wanted to do in life. Many of the achievements and goals she accomplished are still an inspiration for aviators today, male or female. Earhart has left a legacy that continues to be an inspiration for people to push their limits and goals.

Earhart took full advantage of her adult position as a leading pioneer as an aviator. At a young age she took the goals she had set and stuck to them for the rest of her life. She took a stand more than any women of her time and it shows in her accomplishments. Her claim is: “Women, like men, should try to do the impossible. And when they fail, their failure should be a challenge to others." She tells that if you try and if you fail you will be complimented for what you have done and tried to accomplish. Earhart has truly shown a true symbol for power and perseverance of women. She knows that: “Never interrupt someone doing what you said couldn't be done” (Earhart). She knew that nobody should ruin your dream and what you strive for. Instead you ignore those people and move along.

Amelia led a new foundation for new and upcoming generations of aviators around the world. She serves as an inspiration today because of her extraordinary talent and her amazing accomplishments. “Never do things others can do and will do if there are things others cannot do or will not do” (Earhart). Her quote means that anyone (not just women) can achieve for their goals, and if they fail you can always try again. At a young age she showed strong leadership skills at the schools she had attended and as an adult leading the women’s rights act. She was a significant figure for America and leading that women should have equal rights and do what they wish. Her overall impression on aviation is: “Flying might not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price” (Earhart). From this quote she means the things people strive might may be rough, but it’s all worth it in the end. Amelia Mary Earhart was given many nicknames as a child, but she will always be named as a true American hero.