Amelia Earhart

by Madison from San Diego

Amelia with her plane (http://www.web2carz.com/people/who-you-know/1014/a ())

July 2, 1937, Amelia Earhart embarks on a journey to fly around the world parallel the equator. She would become the first to complete this task; tension was building between Earhart and the record that was begging to be broken. This fascinating, one of a kind journey turned into a daunting nightmare when Earhart didn't arrive at her destination. Where she landed was a destination no one desires; death. Before Earhart's famously tragic ending occurred, she lived a normal life that began on July 24th, 1897, when she was born in Atchison, Kansas. Until the age of twelve she lived with her grandparents, Judge Alfred and Amelia Otis. Her father, Edwin Stanton Earhart, a railroad company attorney, developed a drinking problem later on in Kansas causing his wife and kids; Amelia (Amy) Otis, Amelia Mary Earhart and Muriel Grace Earhart, to leave for Chicago. 1915, Earhart graduates from Hyde Park High School while abiding in Chicago. Soon after her graduation she moves back to Kansas along with her mother and sister. Earhart began to fall in love with flying on Christmas day when she took her first plane ride with Frank Hawks in 1921. From then on she began her career as an aviator; "On January 3, 1921, Amelia started taking flying lessons with Neta Snook. In July, Amelia purchased her first airplane, a secondhand yellow Kinner Airster she called "The Canary." She worked in a photography studio and as a filing clerk at the Los Angeles Telephone Company to help pay for her plane and flying lessons." (Morris, Sammie) Earhart was the first person to solo the Atlantic in 1932. She was then the first person to fly from Hawaii to the American Mainland. For any one person to be classified as a hero he or she must posses bravery, be well educated and have a naturally, indulgent and generous spirit. Bravery: brave spirit or conduct; courage; magnificence. Educated: having undergone education, characterized by or displaying qualities of culture and learning. Generosity: Readiness or liberality in giving, freedom from meanness or smallness of mind or character. Earhart is a lasting valiant hero through her ability to endure the difficulties of aviation; with education, bravery and an altogether generous spirit.

Amelia Earhart became the astonishing hero that she is through her education. The education she perused led her to success, after her mother: "sent Amelia to Ogontz School in Philadelphia, an exclusive high school and junior college." (Encyclopedia of the World Biography). Ogontz School is exclusive; she received an education that was likely more directed to her needs as a student. This proves that Earhart is educated and worked hard for what she became, a strong knowledgeable aviator. People saw her as well-educated because: "On her return to the United States, Earhart suddenly was looked upon as a spokesperson for women aviators, and with George Putnam as her manager, she undertook an extensive series of lecture tours and they hired to write a column on aviation for Cosmopolitan magazine." (Explorers & Discoverers of the World). This justify the claim that people see her as a heroic and accomplished woman whom they wanted as a spokesperson and to write a column for Cosmopolitan magazine. Altogether, Earhart is an educated hero because through Ogontz School she received an astonishing education and was later perceived as a strong, confident woman who had the capacity to teach other about her adventures by being a perfect spokesperson.

Amelia on her Plane (http://www.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=37 ())

Earhart was not only educated, but brave. Bravery is a rare but well treasured talent. Earhart possesses this trait of bravery, but it wasn't just having bravery that made her a hero it was the actions she did with bravery. Being an aviator was callous, but being a woman aviator in America's crisis, The Great Depression was terribly difficult: "In January 1935 Earhart became the first person to fly solo across the Pacific Ocean from Honolulu to Oakland, California." (Department of the Navy-Naval History & Heritage Command). It takes a flood of courage to be able to fly solo across the Pacific Ocean, but to be the first and not knowing much about what lies ahead, or what to look out for takes splendor skill and bravery. Earhart flying over the Pacific was the exact definition of bravery. She had courage and was made of pure magnificent. An action that showed bravery away from aviating genuine planes is when: "She bought a small experimental plane that cost $2,000 with the money advanced by her mother and took a job at a local telephone company sorting mail to help pay for it." (Explorers & Discoverers of the World). Earhart was unlike any woman during her era, talk about being born in at the wrong time! Or perhaps she was born in the right time with a purpose, to show Americans caught in the Great Depression that woman can do just as they want, and no one can tell them who to be. It was indubitably brave of Earhart to buy a $2,000 plane; she exhibited mass amounts of courage.

Outside of Earhart's aviator adventures, she was generous and loving. She had such compassion for those around her and deep passion for caring for injured war patients, she: "worked as a nurse's aide in military hospital in Canada during WWI". (Explorers & Discoverers of the world) This displays that Earhart had a wide variety of traits, she wasn't just a girl gifted with the ability to fly. She was much more; she cared about the injured and sick. The important thing to remember here is that she was this generous, loving and high spirited woman before she fell in love with flying. Amelia was learning a perfusion about flying: "At age 24, she took flying lessons from Neta Snook and bought her first airplane--a Kinner Airstar. Due to family problems, she sold her airplane in 1924." (Department of the Navy-Naval History & Heritage) It doesn't describe in much detail the family's problems, but from the research done, we know that she sold her plane when her mother had gotten a divorce to earn money so she could help her mom so generously. She took bought a plane to pursue a dream she had always wanted, but it really shows the generosity she had to be able to sell something that means so much to her just for her mother. Earhart was and always will be an amazing hero, because of her generosity. Her benevolent act demonstrated that there is more to her than just a niche for flying; there's a daughter looking out for her mother, a nurse's aide helping WWI patients and a high spirited woman trying to show the world all that she can do.

www.biography.com/bionow/amelia-earhart-fo  ()
www.biography.com/bionow/amelia-earhart-fo ()

Earhart has proved to be an enduring hero with her aviation brave and her education strong. She had an immense overall spirit and was generous to others, always setting examples of greatness through her flying. Earhart did so much that a common man could never accomplish. In Earhart's depressing era she brought light to America by setting an example that anyone can pursue their dreams. Slowly she erased the thick, tense line between men and women's having separate opportunities. She is an inspiration to me because the way she proved the world wrong. The way she taught through her actions the equality this world needed was amazing and heroic.

Works Consulted

"Amelia Earhart." Amelia Earhart. Department of the Navy - Naval History & Heritage Command, 14 Mar. 2002. Web. 10 Dec. 2012. .

"Amelia Earhart". Explorers & Discoverers of the World. Gale, 1993. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 10 Dec. 2012.

"Earhart, Amelia Mary (1897-1937)." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 11 Dec. 2012.

Powell, Kimberly. "Ancestry of Amelia Earhart." About.com Genealogy. About.com Guide, n.d. Web. 19 Dec. 2012.

Morris, Sammie. "Amelia Earhart Online Exhibit." Amelia Earhart Online Exhibit. Purdue University Libraries, 2004. Web. 19 Dec. 2012. .

"The Official Website of Amelia Earhart." The Official Website of Amelia Earhart. Summary: Write a Summary of the Information in Each Column., n.d. Web. 10 Dec. 2012. .

Ware, Susan. "Amelia Earhart." Encyclopedia of the Great Depression. Ed. Robert S. McElvaine. New York: Macmillan Reference USA, 2004. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 11 Dec. 2012.