Amelia Earhart

by Lauren from San Diego

(http://plazamypwiki.wikispaces.com/Amelia+Earhart)

"A hero is born among a hundred, a wise man is found among a thousand, but an accomplished one might not be found even among a hundred thousand men"(Plato). Being a hero is more than having people look up to you because they think they possess qualities of a role model. Often times a true hero is a person that truly helps someone in an unbelievable way. These people are not just heroes, they are accomplished heroes because they have done more with their life than going to a bunch of photo shoots for their 'role model' campaign or something that does not help people. Amelia Earhart was one of those rare people who was not another wise person or a hero, she was also accomplished. All Amelia wanted was to follow her passion and help other. While she was following her passion she was able to help other. Amelia was constantly helping people in many different ways.. She protested for women's rights and through aviation she helped make it easier for a woman to become a pilot. Earhart was an extremely brave and selfless person. Even though she grew up in a broken home, she didn't let how she felt about a lack of family unity prevent her from doing her best to help others. Amelia did whatever was necessary to continue flying and helping others. When she was visiting her sister once, she helped as a nurse since it was World War I. Amelia Earhart was a key factor in women's rights, and in aviation who made it more acceptable for women to fly and have more rights in general. She forever changed the face of aviation through devotion, bravery, and fearlessness.

Amelia Earhart was devoted to her work and to helping others. She always wanted to continue flying and helping people in some way. When she was helping out, "During the flu epidemic of 1918, she worked so hard that her own health suffered" (Netzley 15). She took her work seriously and truly wanted to help people. Whether it was in flying of in helping people in the medical field, she worked her hardest at anything she could help with. She would give it her all and not let anybody try to convince her not to or prevent her from doing what she felt was important to do. Although she did some work in the medical fields in her early years, flying was her true passion. Amelia did whatever she could to follow her passions and make her dreams a reality. She never let people say she couldn't because she knew that she could do whatever she set her mind to. Amelia was able to get the money for a plane, "by working part-time as a file clerk, office assistant, photographer, and truck driver, and with some help from her mother, Earhart eventually was able to buy her own plane" ("Amelia Mary Earhart"). She did whatever she had to for her dream of having a plane to become a reality. She didn't sit back and worry about finding the money, or try and get it lent to her from others. Earhart worked her hardest to earn the money by herself, never giving up. She followed her passions no matter where they took her in life. She was a truly devoted woman that wouldn't give up on her dreams.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amelia_Earhart)

Amelia showed lots of bravery through the many unpredictable flights she went on. She didn't show any fear. She, "became the first woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean alone" (Bednarek). She accomplished many other brave times also. She was brave when she first discovered her passion. It was when she was with her father, "in California that Amelia discovered the passion that would last the rest of her life. In December 1920 her father took her to an air show in Long Beach. And afterward she told him she wanted to go up in a plane" (Netzley 16). She was brave to want to fly right after she saw a plane. Other women and probably some men wouldn't have wanted to because they would be too fearful of the responsibility of flying a plane. She was very brave to want to try new things while many women wouldn't have tried.

Amelia was fearless since she knew the possible outcome of her flights but still continued to follow her passion. People never stopped her from accomplishing her dreams. All of the accomplishments she made helped make it possible for women to take part in aviation. One of her many great accomplishments was that, "she flew across the country to visit her father in Los Angeles and then flew back to New York. This made her the first woman to fly both ways solo across the country" ("Amelia Earhart"). She had no fear of anything happening or going wrong that would stop her. Amelia showed that women could do what men could. Constantly, she searched for things she could accomplish. Another one of her many amazing accomplishments was when, "she became the first person to fly from Hawaii to the American mainland" ("Amelia Earhart"). She wasn't afraid to fly a route that had never been traveled before. Earhart wanted to follow her dreams and be happy. While she was following her dreams, she helped open up the world of aviation for women. She never lived in fear of the future; she lived in the present hoping to achieve her goals.

(http://tusb.stanford.edu/2010/12/vanishing-act-ame ())

Amelia was one of the main people who helped make aviation possible for women today. She was extremely devoted to her work. Along with aviation, she trained in the medical field until her family started to struggle financially which made her have to stop school. She was a brave person who didn't let fear hold her back from accomplishing her dreams. She was a fearless woman who didn't live in fear of the future; she continued to worked her hardest in the present. Earhart possessed the qualities of an inspiration in many circumstances and ways. She helped women's rights, made advances in aviation, and helped people when they were in need. Once when she visited her sister, she helped the wounded soldiers who were fighting World War I. She set many records. These records helped give others the competitive edge they needed to make advances in technology for aviation. "In 1929, Earhart helped found the Ninety-Nines" (Bednarek). This group consisted of women pilots. This group helped women be more equal in the world of aviation as well as helped women's rights. Amelia was not just another hero or a wise woman; she was one of the rare accomplished people in society. Her accomplishments in aviation still help women today.