Amelia Earhart

by Hibah from Lincoln

I am going to tell you about the first woman that flew over the Atlantic Ocean, Amelia Earhart. Here are some facts about her.

Amelia Earhart was born on July 24, 1897, in Atchison, Kansas. Her father Edwin Earhart worked for the Rail Road in their claim department. She lived with her sister Muriel and her grandparents in Atchison. One day when the state fair was in Kansas, her father took Amelia and Muriel to the state fair. When they were there that was when Amelia Earhart Saw her first airplane but she didn’t think it was interesting at that time. Amelia’s mom would get mad about all the traveling her husband would do for the Rail Roads. Then he developed a serious drinking problem and he had to find a position with another railroad.

Amelia went to college preparatory school near Philadelphia. She graduated from Columbia University, and then she took her first plane ride and thought it was thrilling. After she graduated college, she got her pilots license. Then in 1924 her parents got divorced and she knew she couldn’t do anything to save it so she went back to the east coast, sold her plane, bought a yellow convertible sports car, and drove her mother to Muriel’s house who was then living in Boston. Then Amelia found a job at the Denson House, she taught English, Syrian, Chinese, Italian, and Irish immigrants.

While working at the Denson House Amelia picked up the phone and it was a man from the NAA and he was interested in dong something for aviation. She set a meeting and heard about a daring plan. He said she had a chance to become famous, and she accepted. There were very few women that even considered such an offer.

Newspaper headlines such as, "Boston social worker to fly Atlantic" and "Girl pilot dares the Atlantic." One of her friends went in the copilot seat and Amelia positioned herself behind the cockpit between the two gasoline tanks. The plane took off and landed 20 hours and 40 minutes later. Amelia’s daring courage was all over the news and the banner headline across the New York’s world front page.

I chose Amelia Earhart because she was the first woman to fly over the Atlantic Ocean, and she set many records as a woman pilot. She was brave enough to fly over the Atlantic Ocean by herself.

Those are all the facts I need to tell you about Amelia Earhart.