Amelia Earhart

by Maria from Des Plaines

Amelia by her Airplane (upload.wikimedia.org)

Amelia Earhart was born on July 24, 1897 in the state of Atchison, Kansas. Amelia went to school in Pennsylvania. Her parents were Edwin Earhart and Amy Earhart. She also had a sister named Muriel Earhart. She did not like school very much. She only liked to play with boys a lot. She liked to throw mud balls, jump over fences, liked to play baseball and football and shoot her own .22 rifle to rid the family's barn of rats.

After High School, she went to Orgontz School and became a nurse's aid. Amelia got another job as a social worker. She got air plane lessons from Neta Snook.

She was the first women to fly across the Atlantic Ocean. She was first woman to receive the Flying Cross by the United States Congress. She was a two time Harmon Trophy winner.

She helped her sister as a nurse. She spent Christmas with her sister in Toronto, Canada.