Amelia Earhart

by Ruth from Wauwatosa

Amelia Earhart was a woman of great bravery, courage, and strength. She overcame prejudice and disbelief. She is my hero because she depicts a woman of great bravery. She was the first woman ever to fly, even though the odds were against her. She showed me how to be a strong person in anything I do. Woman back then were told they can't do all the things men can do. That they weren't strong enough or smart enough and that they should stay at home all day taking care of the house and kids instead of experiencing the world. Although people told her it was somewhat impossible, she still had the courage to try. I believe that women should have the same chances as men do. We are just as smart, confident and strong as they are. Amelia was just that. Although she never returned from her expedition, she still defied the odds and set the path for other women to accomplish all they want to do, even if it takes a little extra.