Albert Einstein

by Justin from San Diego

When most think of Albert Einstein, one might think of a scientific genius, or the man that created E = mc2. While those are true, Einstein possesses other traits that make him who he really is. From his infatuation with a magnetic compass as a small child, to his mastery of calculus by 16, to being an outspoken activist for human rights later in life. Einstein is a hero to humanity because of his dedication to his work, his humanitarian beliefs and actions, and the difference he made in the world.

Beginning on March 14, 1879 in Ulm, Germany, Einstein's life was always dedicated to science. At five years old Einstein had already "...experienced a deep feeling of wonder when puzzling over the invisible, yet definite, force directing the needle of a compass."(Albert Einstein), and later at the young age of 16, mastering differential and integral calculus. (Albert Einstein). Einstein's early discoveries show his deep interest in science. His early mastery of calculus demonstrates the effort and dedication that Einstein put into his work. This dedication is what helped him to succeed in his achieving his goals. However, Einstein wasn't an all around genius, he performed poorly in school, and strongly disliked the rigid schooling system. At 16, he was expelled from high school due to his behavior, and immediately tried to enter the Federal Institute of Technology (FIT) in Zurich, Switzerland. He failed the entrance exam because of his lacking of a high school diploma. Only after obtaining it by advice of the principal, he was admitted to FIT. Although, he was not able to obtain the teaching position he wanted, and years later, was employed at a patent office in Berne, Switzerland. The patent office was a quiet place, and after quickly getting through his quota of patents, it allowed Einstein plenty of time to think. Then years later, In 1905 he "published several papers in the prestigious journal Annalen der Physik. The first, entitled "A New Determination of Molecular Dimensions," prompted the University of Zurich to award a Ph.D. to the patent clerk." (Science and Its Times). This evidence shows that even though he didn't achieve what he originally dreamed of, which was to teach at FIT, he kept working on his new theories and ideas, truly believing that he was on to something and eventually, it worked, and his papers were recognized by public officials. The fact that the University of Zurich awarded him a Ph.D for his work further shows that he put effort into it, and it showed.

When Albert Einstein wasn't at a desk working on new theories or ideas in physics, he was an outspoken human rights activist, and firmly believed in his humanitarian instincts. As World War I started, Einstein had "spoken out against militarism and nationalism. Now, as a famous person, he once more took up the cause of pacifism, expressing his opinion openly, caring nothing for popularity."(Albert Einstein, Civil Rights Activist). This shows his care and compassion for other humans, and that everyone deserves to live. It also shows that he didn't do it "for popularity" but he did it because he deeply cared for others. Also, Einstein strongly disliked racism, and after coming to America, he realized that it was quite prevalent, and in a speech he said at Lincoln University he stated: "There is, however, a somber point in the social outlook of Americans. Their sense of equality and human dignity is mainly limited to men of white skins." (Civil Rights Movement). Einstein's view of the Americans' social outlook as "somber" shows that even though he liked America, he still believed it had flaws, and that it needed to be changed for the betterment of society. In addition, when he visited Lincoln University, he did as much as he could, handing out candy to the local children, housing people when they needed shelter, and even paying a young man's tuition for college. (Albert Einstein, Civil Rights Activist). This shows how much Einstein cared, doing things out of his heart, and deeply caring for others, no matter the skin color.

If it wasn't for Einstein's theories and input, the atomic bomb may have never happened, the television may have never been invented, and man would not look at the universe the same. "Einstein's scientific achievements place him alongside such figures as Copernicus, Galileo, and Newton, as one who vastly enlarged the scope of human knowledge about the physical universe. In this respect he is a universal figure and belongs to no country. "(Albert Einstein). This evidence shows the level of being that Albert Einstein is on, because of the advancements he made in physics. It also demonstrates the meaningfulness of his discoveries," vastly enlarging the scope of human knowledge about the physical universe." This shows that without Einstein's advancements, humanity wouldn't have as much knowledge of the universe as it does now. In addition, his legacy continues to live on posthumously, "Nevertheless, Einstein's work continues to win Nobel Prizes for succeeding physicists. In 1993 a Noble Prize was awarded to the discoverers of gravitation waves, predicted by Einstein. In 1995 a Nobel Prize was awarded to the discoverers of Bose-Einstein condensates (a new form of matter that can occur at extremely low temperatures). Known black holes now number in the thousands. New generations of space satellites have continued to verify the cosmology of Einstein. And many leading physicists are trying to finish Einstein's ultimate dream of a "theory of everything." (Einstein, Albert). The fact that Einstein's theories and discoveries led to all new discoveries even after his death "Known black hole numbers are now in the thousands...New generations of space satellites have continued to verify the cosmology of Einstein." shows that people continue to support his discoveries to this point in time. "And many leading physicists are trying to finish Einstein's ultimate 'theory of everything'" shows that Einstein's legacy still lives on as a result of the difference he made in the world.

Einstein is different from conventional heroes, he didn't save people from burning buildings, or wear a bright cape and fly around fighting evil, but his discoveries changed the way man looks at nature, and the world. He dedicated his time and effort to what he did, and firmly believed that one should put all his/her effort in their actions. He is a humanitarian, and deeply cared for the well-being of society, speaking out against war, and against segregation of race. He is an inspiration to me because he did so much in so little time, he set huge goals and dedicated him self to achieve them. His discoveries and actions were felt, and are still felt today throughout the globe, and even after his death, his theories continue to help pave the path towards the future.

MichioKaku. "EinsteinAlbert." Britannica Biographies (2012): 1Biography Reference Center. 

Web.    1 Apr2014 

Gewertz, Ken. "Albert Einstein, Civil Rights Activist | Harvard Gazette." Harvard Gazette. Harvard  

News Office, 12 Apr. 2007. Web. 01 Apr. 2014.  

Calvo, Sherri Chasin. "Albert Einstein." Science and Its Times. Ed. Neil Schlager and Josh Lauer. Vol. 

6: 1900 to 1949. Detroit: Gale, 2000. 475-476. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 1 

Apr. 2014.  

Shara, Michael. "Civil Rights Movement." AMNH. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Apr. 2014.