Albert Einstein

by Sophie from Williamsville

Albert Einstein (http://theshowstopper.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/albert_einstein_head1.jpg)

Albert Einstein is a hero because he never gave up and he always tried to investigate something before jumping to a conclusion. When there was a science problem, he just thought about the problem and his ideas were so different that the scientists took notice of them. Albert Einstein worked very hard.

Albert was born in Württemberg, Germany, on March 14, 1879. Six weeks later the family moved to Munich. The Einsteins were a family of four, Albert, his sister Maja, and his parents, Hermann and Pauline. Although the Einsteins were a family of four, Albert’s family lived with his uncle Jacob. His father and his uncle Jacob ran an electricity shop. One day, his father took Albert to their shop where he was thinking so hard about electricity, that he forgot where he was. Albert also played the violin. He was in a concert at age 14 and the rest of the musicians were young adults. Albert’s grades were bad. The only good grade he got was in mathematics (math). Albert was always asking questions. Some that no-one in that day could answer. So he found the answer for himself. Albert found puzzles everywhere. He wondered how a compass worked; how a boomerang came back to a person, and why helium balloons went up. When the shop lost business, his family moved to Italy while Albert stayed at home to finish his education. After awhile, Albert’s teachers asked him if he wanted to leave so he left and joined his family in Italy. A few months later Albert decided he wanted to get into a University. When Albert wasn’t admitted to a University, he went back home. Albert still wanted an education, so he went to Switzerland. He liked the Swiss people and decided to become a Swiss resident. Later when Adolf Hitler started gaining power, he did everything to make Albert’s life difficult. Albert decided that he wasn’t safe anywhere in Europe, so he moved to the United States. More specifically he moved to Princeton, New Jersey to work at the Princeton University. Albert had a good life as a boy, a young adult and an adult.

Although Einstein was famous, he encountered challenges and problems too. He didn’t get a degree from his school which made it harder for him to get into a University. Einstein never liked school; he always was as slow as cold molasses in the mornings. In 1902, when Albert was 23 years-old, his father, Hermann Einstein, died. Also, in 1920, with Albert at age 41, his mother, Pauline got cancer. As you can see, he had some challenges.

Albert Einstein contributed many things to his scientific field, such as the Photoelectric Effect, Special Theory of Relativity, General Theory of Relativity and Brownian motion. The Photoelectric Effect means that under certain circumstances, light can contain many particles, and the energy carried by the light particle is related to the frequency of the radiation. The Special Theory of Relativity has two parts. One is the principle of relativity: the physical laws are the same in all inertial reference systems; the second is the principle of the constant of the light speed: the speed of light in a vacuum is constant. An example of the Special Theory of Relativity is E equals MC2. His equation laid the foundation for the atomic bomb. Another one of his ideas is General Theory of Relativity. According to this theory, space becomes curved around matter; space curves more when the matter in more concentrated. Einstein's theory about the Brownian Motion described the motion of particles scattered in a fluid is random. These are only some of the things that Einstein contributed.

Albert received many awards and honors. Einstein was offered the position of presidency in Israel. He also got the Nobel Prize in Physics for the year of 1921 from the Nobel Foundation in Stockholm. In 1923, Einstein got the Admission to the order. From the Royal Society of London, he got the Copley medal in 1925. In 1926, he got the gold medal from the Royal Astronomical Society. Also, from the German Physical Society, he got the Max-Planck-medal in 1929. Einstein received the Benjamin Franklin medal in 1935 from the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia. In 1919, from the University of Rostock, he got an Honorary Doctorate. In 1921, from Princeton University, he got an Honorary Doctorate. He also got an Honorary Doctorate from ETH, Zurich in 1930. He got an Honorary Doctorate from Oxford University on 1931. Lastly, he got an Honorary Doctorate, in 1935, from Harvard University. One last thing was in Japan his arrival was made a holiday. Albert Einstein was given many awards and received honors.

Einstein had many positive character traits. Albert was caring and he helped children with their math homework when they needed help. He insisted that carolers get out of the cold of the outside and into the warmth of his house. He was very upset when the atom bomb worked because it killed a lot of people. Einstein wanted his work to make the world a better place. Albert was also determined. He wanted to give people new ideas. When he got new ideas he wrote a paper about these ideas. Scientists everywhere read these papers. As said above, he traveled a lot to get an education and was determined to get one. When he had a question and no-one could answer it, he did it himself. Albert was also honest. When he was a kid, an officer marched past their school where he saw many kids pretending to be soldiers, but Albert was only watching. The officer asked him his address. Although he was scared, he still told the truth to the officer. Albert’s classmates called him “Honest John”. These are only a few examples of his traits.

“My scientific work is motivated by an irresistible to understand the secrets if nature – by nothing else,” Albert Einstein once said. That showed he was determined to find the answers, even if no-one else thought it was possible or impossible to find out the answer. Albert Einstein will be in anybody who has a great love of science. Albert is truly a hero.