Health

Alice Figueroa

by Bella from Keller

My Mom at Work
My Mom at Work

When most people think of a hero they think of someone flying around in the air wearing tights and a cape. I'm talking about a different kind of hero, one that saves lives every day. There are many people that may be considered a hero because of doing something once. Though the kind of hero I'm talking about is one that saves lives every day they go into work. These people are not only heroes to the people they save but they are heroes to everyone.

My mom has been a registered nurse for nineteen years. She currently works as a Nurse Educator at Parkland Health and Hospital System in Dallas, Texas. I believe her dream to be a nurse started at a young age because, along with my aunt, my grandmother is also a registered nurse. I believe my grandma may have inspired my mom to become a nurse at a young age. My mom is very cautious about my family's health, especially after reading the nursing magazine she gets from work sometimes. While still keeping her job my mom manages to do "mom things" such as grocery shop, laundry, cooking, and spending time with her family.

At work it is her job to write procedures to make sure they are safe and effective for other nurses to use. My mom's job also includes her having to run meetings and present talks with the newer nurses to teach them how the system runs at the hospital (hence the name "nurse educator"). She has also told me on many accounts that her job is very tiring and stressful but she somehow manages to keep moving forward. I can tell that she is affected by the stress and fatigue at home because I sometimes have to help her to focus on what she needs to do rather than what she can do later. I have always wanted to be like my mom and become a nurse and I have learned from my mom that it is certainly not as easy as some people may think.

My Mom at Work Again
My Mom at Work Again

Over the years my mom has passed down her cautiousness of health and riskiness to me and my siblings. I am very careful around things that could harm me and or other people. I also stay away from things that could cause disease and any other bacteria and am very knowledgeable when it comes to health and injury. I'm very thankful towards my mom for teaching me about health and safety so well. She has also taught me that just because you think about safety doesn't mean you have to miss out on fun stuff.

So, as you can see, you don't have to be able to fly to become a hero. All you have to do is make a difference in one person's life. She has definitely made a difference in my life and has taught me that there is nothing that you can't achieve if you set your mind to it. Most people that we consider heroes think of themselves as normal people but they are much more than that. Heroes like nurses, doctors, and policemen are the foundation of the world we live in today.