Anne Frank

by Elizabeth from San Diego

(http://www.primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/war/annefrank ())

Close your eyes and imagine a room above a building with barely any sunlight, hardly any fresh air, and cramped living conditions. This is where young Anne Frank's story takes hold, in a place most commonly called "The Secret Annex". Born on June 12, 1929, Anne Frank was a German-Jewish teenager who was forced to go into hiding during the Holocaust. She and her family, along with four others, spent over two years during World War II hiding in an annex of rooms above her father's office in Amsterdam ("Who is Anne?"). Frank is known for her diary she received as a birthday present; it had instant success when it was published in 1947 ("Anne Frank"). The building where Frank hid is open as the Anne Frank House, and centers are still open to celebrate her. Following the Nazi threat and actions of exterminating Jews, Frank went into hiding, was found out, and died in Auschwitz when she was fifteen years old ("Anne Frank"). A hero must possess courage and hope, even in the most tenacious of times. Courage isn't defined by just saving someone, but is also defined as the potential to live on, especially when one's body physically cannot. Hope keeps one moving forward and keeps one from looking back on cruel times from the past. Anne Frank exhibits courage and hope during the Holocaust, one of the most unforgiving mass murders in history.

(http://womenwordswisdom.com/2013/06/23/anne-frank- ())

Frank models courage through her diary, which inspires many people. As Ryan and Loveday compliment, "The new, unexpurgated edition of "Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl" reinforces the idea that the author was an ordinary young girl who responded to an extraordinary situation with innocence and insight." (Ryan and Loveday). Frank's innocence and insight of the Holocaust's events shows her bravery in handling the situation. Her words of courage during such an event inspires people to stay strong in their lives. Frank's father, Otto, was apprehensive about publishing his daughter's diary, but realized her writing was much more than an account of the Holocaust. "At first he [Otto Frank] resisted [publishing his daughter's diary], but gradually he came to recognize that his daughter's words of bravery and her embrace of life under even the most difficult circumstances deserved to be heard." ("Anne Frank"). Otto Frank finally realizes his daughter's words are worth being shared to people who had no past voice from the Holocaust. Frank's bravery throughout an overwhelming experience for someone so young inspires many people today. Frank's words of bravery show how much a human being, especially a young fifteen-year-old, can endure.

Frank displays her hope through her unquenchable optimism and strength. Frank's hope continues shining through as the months go by. "Radio broadcasts from England indicated that the war was going very badly for the Germans, and that the Allied forces opposed to Germany (the United States, England, Russia, Canada, and several other nations) were on the offensive. On June 6, 1944, a jubilant Anne wondered, 'Could we be granted victory this year? We don't know yet, but hope is revived within us; it gives us fresh courage, and makes us strong again.'" ("Anne Frank"). Frank's writing contains her undying hopes for the Nazi threat to be extinguished by the Allied Forces. Her words of positivity keep her spirits high during one of the most horrifying mass murders in history. Frank's speculation about the people of the Holocaust lets her hope an end to the war will come soon. "And despite the horrible circumstances, her touching optimism shines through--as in her oft-quoted entry, 'In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.'" (Cawley). Frank explains her belief that there is some goodness in everyone, even if people may have horrible affairs. Her quote shows that hope can shine in times of danger, fear, and in sadness. Frank's continuous hope and optimism was - and still is - apparent throughout the Holocaust.

(http://life.time.com/history/anne-frank-and-her-fr ())

Frank exhibits courage and hope during the Holocaust, one of the most unforgiving mass murders in history. Frank's will to find a way out of the Holocaust leaves a heartwarming impression on people who read her diary. She exemplifies courage, hope, optimism, and bravery beyond her years. "The cheerfulness of Frank's writing in such dangerous circumstances, as well as her sensitivity and talent to describe difficult circumstances and the tragedy of her short life, made her diary an instant success." ("Anne Frank"). Frank stays calm in such forbidding circumstances, showing her courage and her bright hope for an end to war. "Anne Frank's diary became a symbol of the resilience of the human spirit and an enduring statement for the millions of people who were silenced by the Holocaust." ("Anne Frank"). Frank's words amplify the lives lost during the Holocaust, all through a teenager's perspective. She exemplifies bravery and positivity throughout the difficult time with her family and friends. Before her death, Frank composed, "I want to be useful or give pleasure to people around me who yet don't really know me. I want to go on living even after my death!"

"Anne Frank." Anne Frank (Biography Today) (2010): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web.

4 May 2015.

"Anne Frank." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Biography in

Context. Web. 30 Apr. 2015.

"Anne Frank Quotes." Anne Frank Quotes (Author of The Diary of a Young Girl). N.p., 2015.

Web. 07 May 2015.

Cawley. "The 50 Most Famous People Of The Century." Biography 3.12 (1999): 74.

Biography Reference Center. Web. 1 May 2015.

Ryan, James, and Veronica Loveday. "Anne Frank." Anne Frank (2005): 1. Biography

Reference Center. Web. 4 May 2015.

"Who Is Anne?" Anne Frank. The Anne Frank Center USA, n.d. Web. 30 Apr. 2015.