Anne Frank

by Sean from Springfield

The hero I nominate is Anne Frank, who was hiding from the Nazis during WWII. I nominate her because even though she wasn’t sure if her family would be found by the Nazis, she still found a way to hope, pray, and sing. That is what I call real bravery! In these next four paragraphs, I will explain what a true hero she was and more reasons why I nominate her.

Annelies Marie "Anne" Frank was born on June 12, 1929 in Frankfurt am Main, Weimar Germany. She was a German-born Jewish girl who wrote a diary while in hiding during the German invasion of the Netherlands in World War II. Anne and her family moved to Amsterdam in 1933 after the Nazis gained power in Germany, and were trapped by the occupation of the Netherlands, which began in 1940.

As persecutions against the Jewish population increased, the family went into hiding in July 1942 in hidden rooms in her father Otto Frank's office building. While they hid in a cramped room for two years she found a way to hope, pray, and sing all in one: in her diary. On the morning of August 4, 1944, Anne and her family were found and arrested by German police who got information from somebody who betrayed them. Toward the end of her long confinement she wrote in her diary, “It’s really a wonder that I haven’t dropped all my ideals…Yet, in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.” Think of what courage, and hope, it took to say that in the midst of her persecution.

Anne Frank relates to T.A. Barron’s book, A Heroes Trail because she is also a hero in his book. The type of hero I think she relates to is a survivor hero. Anne is a survivor hero because even though she died in the concentration camp in one way she did survive, in her diary. All of her experiences, thoughts, hopes and more were in her diary when her father (the only survivor) found it and published it. Now that book is translated in more than 50 different languages around the world. So everyone can read her heart-stopping story and learn that they can also find hope in the most dire situations.

In conclusion, I think Anne Frank is one of those great heroes. Like I said before, even though she was cramped in a small living space with her family not knowing if the Nazis will find her, she still found a way to hope, pray, and sing all in one. Her diary.