Anne Frank

by Anna

No one has ever become poor by giving-Anne Frank

Anne Frank was born in Frankfort June 12th 1929, she was Jewish. Her parents were Otto and Edith Frank. She had a sister named Margot who was born three years before Anne was born. In 1933 Hitler took over Germany and Otto and Edith Frank were deeply worried and looked for a means of escape. When Anne was four years old her parents decided to emigrate to the Netherlands because of the growth of the Jews in danger.

Anne Frank picture taken in 1942 (-Wikipedia ())

The German economy was doing badly and Germans blamed the Jews for it. The Franks were worried. Of course they don't reveal this to their children. Besides the economy there were also political problems. Supporters of Hitler's NSDAP were increasing in number. In July 1932, the NSDAP became the largest party with 37% of the votes. Members of the SA marched through the streets singing anti-Semitic songs. The Jews in Germany were blamed for all the problems the nation had.

Otto Frank managed to put a business in Amsterdam. Edith, Margot and Anne followed him to the Netherlands. They found a place to live in Merwedeplein. The Franks felt free and safe again. The girls went to school again, Otto worked hard on his business and Edith took care of the household. But when World War 2 broke out on May 10th of 1940 Germans invaded the Netherlands. The Frank family was in danger once more.

With the Netherlands now occupied life changed for the Frank family. Restrictions kept mounting, both for individuals and for Otto's business. When Margot got called up to be sent to a German labour camp. Otto and Edith decided the dangers had become too great. They took their family into hiding. 

When they were ready to go and hide they went to "The Secret Annex" as Anne used to call it in her diary which she kept while hiding. They hid for almost 3 years and in those 3 years Anne kept a diary. In August 1944 they betrayed the Frank family and they sent the family to a concentration camp. Anne, Margot and her mother stayed together while the Germans took her father away. Anne  died in the concentration camp in 1945 at age of 15. Her father was the only one to survive the concentration camp and he found the dairy which Anne kept all those years

I think Anne Frank was a hero because she was very brave and died with dignity.

Anne Frank - it talks about her and her story