Anne Frank

by Lauren from Dearborn

"Despite everything, I believe all people are good at heart" -Anne Frank. This is one of the many inspiring quotes attributed to Anne Frank. She was a very brave, hopeful, and intelligent girl.

Anne Frank was a Jewish girl who was born on June 12th, 1929. She grew up during the rise of the Nazi party in Germany. Anne lived in Germany with her mom, dad, and sister, but when Hitler took control of the German government, the Franks moved to Amsterdam. Life continued as Anne and her sister, Margot went to school, Otto her father set up a business, and Edith, her mom took care of the house. A few years later World War II began, and they headed to a Secret Annex above her father's office to hide. Life was hard and frustrating for Anne because she and her family had to go into hiding when she was only thirteen. They were alone, fearful and isolated for years, but Anne knew that she must remain brave for her and her family to persevere and survive to the end of the war.

Anne and her family lived with Hermann and Auguste van Pels, their son Peter, and Fritz Pfeffer in the Annex. Life was difficult for Anne because she could never go outside, and she had to remain quiet. Anne wrote in her diary to help her get through her boredom and fear.In her diary, Anne wrote about her feelings, thoughts, and frustrations about living in the Annex.Through her writing, she remained hopeful about the world even though terrible things were happening". "I hear the approaching thunder that, one day, will destroy us too.I feel the suffering of millions. And yet, when I look up at the sky, I somehow feel that everything will change for the better, that this cruelty too shall end, that peace and tranquility will return once more" - Anne Frank.This quote shows that even while she lived in the midst of war and the horrors of Hitler, Anne was still positive and hopeful for the world.

On August 4th, 1944, the Frank family and the friends they were hiding with were found by the German secret state police.To this day, we don't know who turned them in.They were then sent to Westerbork transit camp, and then to Auschwitz. Unfortunately, all of them died except for Otto Frank. Anne died in March, 1945 from typhus. Otto returned home and realized Anne and Margot did not make it out alive. Otto found Anne's diary and as he read through it, he was struck at her vivid, honest and intelligent portrayal of a time in history filled with terror. He almost saw another side of her that he never saw before.Even though Anne documented a horror filled time in history, Otto found it to be very inspirational.In her diary, Anne said that one of her dreams was to publish a book after the war ended and Otto made that dream come true.

Anne's diary has inspired so many people around the world because she went through a very hard time but still managed to be happy. Her bravery, hopefulness and intelligence still inspires people today and it should make everyone feel grateful for their freedom.