Anne Frank

by Olivia Alvarez from San Diego

"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be".
 (http://jenrudin.com)
(http://jenrudin.com)

An innocent young girl sat in her cramped room and dreamt of a peaceful world. A world without power hungry leaders and the absurd segregation of races or religions. This little girl was torn up inside, yet had the courage to put on a smile and learned to look past the bad in her enemies. This shows how kids these days take things for granted and don't realize what they have until it's gone. People have gone through tragic things and have been so scared that they live in fear, praying to get through another day alive. One great example of this would be Anne Frank. Anne Frank was born to parents Edith and Otto Frank in 1929. On her 13th birthday she was given a diary to document her life and jot down her feelings (Hope). She was forced into hiding after her family found out the Nazis wanted to send her sister Margot to a concentration camp. Unfortunately, after two years of hiding the two families were captured by the Nazi police. Anne died of typhus just a few weeks before her camp was liberated (Rosenfeld). Her father was the only one of both families in hiding to survive (Rosenfeld). Anne went through some things people couldn't ever imagine happening, yet she had a commendable attitude towards the tragic events and chose to be happy. She chose never to dwell on the bad things that happened. A person with these two traits should be considered a hero; they should be optimistic and goodhearted. In the case of Anne Frank, she possessed these traits and was an inspiration to millions. Anne Frank was an extraordinary hero because she was optimistic and a goodhearted person.

Anne's Journal  (blurrent.com)
Anne's Journal (blurrent.com)

Anne Frank showed optimism throughout her journal, even though she faced many upsetting moments at her stay in the Annex. She smiled and looked past the troubles that the day had brought her and showed optimism frequently. For example, while in hiding Anne said, "Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart" (Frank). This shows that Anne believed the Nazis were good at heart, even though they were hunting Jewish people down and killing them or sending them to concentration camps. She still believed inside that they were good people. Anne always seemed to see the best in people and was different from most girls her age. Instead of letting the bad into her life, she always found a way to look past it and found peace. "Riches can all be lost, but that happiness in your own heart can only be veiled, and it will still bring you happiness again, as long as you live. As long as you can look fearlessly up into the heavens, as long as you know that you are pure within, and that you will still find happiness" (Frank). This shows how Anne always found a way to make herself happy, she lived off of happiness. Even when in a bad mood, she could easily find solitude. Overall, Anne was a high spirited 13 year old who could find the best in every person. She accomplished something most would dream of, finding the light in a time of darkness.

(www.pinterest.com)
(www.pinterest.com)

Anne's heart and soul was so affectionate and gracious, she could make anyone's day go from terrible to fantastic. Her heart was always in the right place and that's a huge factor in her being such an inspiration to millions. Anne wanted to be a good person; it's something that she strived for. She once said, "And finally I twist my heart round again, so that the bad is on the outside and the good is on the inside, and keep on trying to find a way of becoming what I would like to be, and could be, even if there weren't any other people living in the world" (Frank). At such a young age, Anne had a greatness about her, she cared about how others viewed her and was more self-aware than most kids her age. Anne said, "I feel wicked sleeping in a warm bed, while my dearest friends have been knocked down or have fallen into a gutter somewhere out in the cold night. I get frightened when I think of close friends who have now been delivered into the hands of the cruelest brutes that walk the earth. And all because they are Jews!" (Frank). She couldn't accept the fact that her friends were either on the streets or dead and she was privileged. She felt guilty that she had a warm bed to sleep on every night and her friends didn't. Anne demonstrated what it took to be a caring, selfless and most importantly a goodhearted person. Anne showed the traits of not only a well-rounded kid but a hero.

Anne Frank was an extraordinary person who falls under the classification of a hero, she was optimistic and goodhearted. Anne lived a tough life at only 13 years old and knew what it took to survive mentally and emotionally during her stay in the Annex. She left a legacy at the age of only 15. Most importantly, she achieved her goal of wanting to go on living after she died (Kersell). At such a young age she had opened many people's eyes (Kersell). Anne didn't do anything brave or save anyone, but she is my inspiration. She was a good person who was determined to amount to greatness. She had a lot of self-motivation, that's something I lack in. I realized that most people have these high standards that you have to meet in order to be considered a hero, like cure cancer, invent apple, be in the military, or be famous. But, I think a hero can be just your average everyday person. 

Work Cited

Hope, Joan, and Hope Joan. "Anne Frank." Magill'S Survey Of World Literature, Revised

Edition (2009): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web. 23 Jan. 2015

Anne Frank. The Diary of a Young Girl. New York: Modern Library, 1952. Print

Kersell, Nancy D., and Kersell Nancy D. "Anne Frank." Great Lives From History: The

Twentieth Century (2008): 1.Biography Reference Center. Web. 25 Jan. 2015

Rosenfeld, Alvin. "Anne Frank." Encyclopedia Judaica. Ed. Michael Berenbaum and Fred Skolnik. 2nd

ed. Detroit: Macmillan Reference USA, 2007. Biography in Context. Web. 23 Jan. 2015.