Anne Frank

by Sabrina, grade 5, from Canada

"No one has ever become poor from giving."-Anne Frank
Anne Frank (URL = 12ian34.deviantart.com (unknown))

I believe that Anne Frank is a hero. Anne was forced into hiding, put into a concentration camp, and died of disease. She wrote a diary about her experiences hiding at "The Secret Annexe". For these reasons, Anne Frank is my hero.

Anne Frank was born in Frankfurt, Germany on June 12, 1929, to Jewish parents Otto and Edith Frank. She had an older sister named Margot. Anne, her sister, and her mother moved to Aachen, Germany in 1933 to live with Anne and Margot's Grandmother while their father worked. The next year, Otto moved the family worked. The next year, Otto moved the family to Amsterdam. The family went into hiding on July 6, 1942. Anne's Jewish faith led to the events that changed her life, including why she went into hiding, and the reason she was sent to concentration camp.

In July 1942, Margot received a letter saying she had to report for work in Germany. The Frank family then had to make a plan so that the Germans would not capture them, so they decided to go into hiding. Anne, her family, the Van Pelses, and a man named Fritz Pfeffer hid in their "Secret Annexe" in Amsterdam for over 2 years. Anne became depressed and took medicine to help it. She was friends with Peter Van Pels. In the Annexe, Anne wrote most of her diary.

On August 4, 1944, the "Secret Annexe" was betrayed. They were discovered by the Nazis, and then sent to a concentration camp, where they had to work. The prisoners were shot or gassed, or died of starvation or exhaustion. Margot died in March, 1945. Anne died of typhus a few days later. Anne Frank is my hero because she changed the world by the words in her diary. Anne wrote many inspiring quotes in her diary. Anne Frank motivates me to live my life the best I can, because her life was very short; only 15 years old.

In conclusion, I believe that Anne Frank is a hero. She was forced into hiding, lived in depression, didn't leave a small building for 2 years, and wrote a very inspiring diary about being a Jew during the Second World War. Her early life, time in hiding, and time in the concentration camp are all very interesting. That is why I believe that Anne Frank is a hero.