Anne Frank

by Naomi L. from Vancouver

"It's really a wonder that I haven't dropped all of my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossibe...in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart."

Anne Frank was a young Jewish girl during the Holocaust. She lived in Amsterdam for most of her life. I chose Anne Frank because I thought that she would be an interesting person to research and write a report about. Also, I wrote about the Holocaust as well and I find it very interesting. I am a Jew myself and it is always fascinating and sometimes horrible to figure out what would have happened if I were living in the time of Anne Frank. Most likely, I would be dead. Anne Frank is considered a hero because she recorded her experiences of hiding during the Holocaust. I think from reading her diary she had mixed feelings about going into hiding. I think she understood, though she missed her friends. She was VERY brave, as was anybody who went into hiding. Also, Anne was a young girl so it is from the perspective of a young girl.

I think her diary is very important because her diary has shown many people just what it was like during the Holocaust from the eye of a teenage girl who died in a concentration camp. I know that there are Holocaust survivors who may or may not (depending if they are too horrified to talk about it) tell people about the Holocaust. The thing about Anne’s diary is that some Holocaust survivors may not remember their life at the age of thirteen – fifteen. Also, some of them may not have hidden as long as Anne and just went to a concentration camp and survived.

Anne was born in 1929 in Frankfurt, Germany and then moved to Amsterdam, Holland in 1933 because of the Nazis in Germany. She wanted to be a writer.

When people hear the word “Holocaust” most people will probably think that it means the horrible persecution of Jews. The definition of the word “Holocaust” is an act of mass destruction and loss of life (especially by war). In Hebrew, the word Holocaust is Shoah. The Holocaust that happened during World War ll was the persecution of Homosexuals, Romani and, mostly, Jews. Adolf Hitler who started the group called Nazis started the Holocaust. Hitler had an idea of a perfect race of people and he thought that Jews, Homosexuals and Romani were polluting the perfect race, and he wanted to exterminate them. As a result, Jews, Romani, and Homosexuals had to go into hiding. Anne’s family had to go into hiding because her sister, Margot, got a call-up, which said that she had to report to a ‘work camp’ in Germany. Others went into hiding because going into hiding would make the German police (the Gestapo) really have to look for you if they wanted to get you to report to a certain place. Anne’s family went into hiding at Prinsengracht 263 on July 6, 1942.

Anne’s Frank’s relation to me is not that big but there is one. She was Jewish and I am Jewish. I own a book about Anne Frank and I started to read it once. I thought it was boring. I stand corrected. Anne Frank is not boring at all. I think Anne Frank has made an impact on the world because she has shown people what it is like to hide, or what it is like to do this during your changing life of thirteen to fifteen. Also, her diary has also shown people her experiences of her life in words. She has represented hope and helped people understand the Holocaust, and, I think, that if you read a book about an adult’s experience during the Holocaust vs. a child’s experience, I think you will be more interested and understanding for the child’s story. Anne Frank has done that. I am glad I did a project on Anne Frank.