Alejandro Gutierrez

by Rodrigo from Ontario

The day is still fresh in my mind. It was the championship game and we were in penalties. The kid from the opposing team looked nervous. "Tweet", went the ref's whistle as he blew it. The kid ran towards the ball and kicked it. Our goalie dived for the ball and barely touched it up. "Clang", went the top post as the ball made contact with it. Our crowd burst into cheers. The other goalie went to the goal. This was it if our player kicked it in, we would win. "Beep", went the ref's whistle. Our player ran up to the ball and kicked it. The ball soared to the right corner. Our crowd roared as we ran to the kicker to congratulate him. We had won the game! As my team celebrated, I looked around for my coach. He was busy carrying one of our players in the air. From then on he became my hero and he is my dad.

My dad was born in Arandas, Jalisco, Mexico. He was the 15th of 18. Unfortunately, the 4 eldest ones died when they were just babies. One died in a drowning incident. Another died from natural causes. The other two remain a mystery, my dad does not know about. My dad had 8 sisters and 6 brothers. My dad's education was only until 6th grade. This happened because kids in the city where he lived only did a little schooling to help their parents in work. An interesting fact from his childhood was that he began to work when he was only 5 years old to help support his family. Another interesting fact is that when he was playing with one of his older brothers, he accidentally broke his chest when his brother stepped on him. He could not move for six months.

My hero's influences were his friends. They influenced him to come over to the U.S. They were his example to work hard, make money, and buy a house. His mom was another influence because of her good advice. My dad's obstacles were that he didn't have papers, he didn't speak English, and being alone here in the U.S. He overcame the obstacles by getting papers, learning to speak English, and marrying my mom. I consider him a hero because he has helped people in any way that he could, volunteering as a coach in AYSO, and being there when me and my brother need him. Some examples of his actions are that he has helped several people get papers and jobs. He has been a volunteer coach in AYSO for 4 years and has leaded them to two championships. Whenever someone needs something fixed, my dad happily does it. He sends money to Mexico to help support my Grandma. He always helps me and my brother in homework. He has had many accomplishments. He accomplished to buy a house. He was able to become a U.S citizen. He was able to learn some English. He accomplished to marry and have children. He accomplished to have a steady job. He was able to build a house in Mexico. He has accomplished to be a two-time championship coach.

The character traits my hero shows are courage, determination, and humble. He was courageous because he came over here alone, and knowing the risks, all that just to start a new life. He was determined because even though he was deported back to Mexico 5 times he never gave up trying. So once he was over here, he quickly got his papers. He was humble because he never brags or thinks he's better than anybody else.

My hero has made a difference in life because he inspires me to do things. He is always there for me. He shows me to always be humble, to do what I can to help others, and always give it my all. He inspires me to make a difference in life, just like he has in mine.

"You don't win a soccer game physically, you win it mentally". Alejandro Gutierrez