Audrey Hepburn

by Lea from San Diego

(twitter.com ())
(twitter.com ())

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says "I'm possible"" said by the incredible woman herself. This quote portrays how determined and hardworking Audrey Hepburn was. Hepburn was born on May, 4 1929 in Ixelles, Belgium. She was the daughter of a nazi sympathizer and a baroness. Her mother was very strict and her father left the family when Audrey was young (Audrey1). Though she had a rough childhood, she didn't let that stop her. She didn't want other children to go through what she went through. She possesses the traits of being selfless, she puts people before herself and is very determined on helping others. Audrey Hepburn showed she isn't just a Hollywood celebrity; She is known as a hero because of her devotion to her hard work, her passion for giving people hope, and setting good examples through her good Samaritan acts.

Hepburn devoted her time and effort to UNICEF. Later on in her career, she was finally appointed as the Ambassador of UNICEF," She spent five years traveling the world and participating in charity work to benefit children," (Swartwood). She worked hard with the same determination and devotion until her death. Hepburn did not waste time to help the starving children from different countries. She would rather spend time doing charity work than do what normal celebrities, she made the children's needs her first priority. Another source proves this point, stating that Hepburn, " Dedicated the rest of her life to helping the children of the world's poorest nations," (NWE). She cared about the children like they were her own because she didn't want those children to have a bad childhood. Her devotion to helping them out is like her  saying that " these children doesn't deserve what I went through." At that time, she was already having health complications yet she still powered through. Hepburn gave it her all and devoted her life to the children that are in need.

(www.listal.com ())
(www.listal.com ())

Hepburn was burning with passion about giving people hope. During her line of work, Hepburn said, "I have been given the privilege of speaking for children who cannot speak for themselves, and my task is an easy one because children have no political enemies. To save a child is a blessing: to save a million is a God-given opportunity"(Audrey1). She said this because she felt like the children didn't have voice so she was the one to speak out for them and to cry out to the media, government, and world leaders for help ( Swartwood). Hepburn was giving tthe children the attention they never recieved.She wanted to give them something to look forward for, thus giving them hope. Hepburn continued to spread hope all over the world, like Vietnam," she wanted to remind people in the West that Vietnam was a country, not just a war. "I would like to give a much more accessible, human picture of Vietnam than just the Vietnam War. It's a ghost that has to be laid" to rest, she said" (Callo). She wanted to give Vietnam coverage and help the people in need. She wanted to establish that Vietnam is an actual country that deserves help and Vietnam is not just a history fact. Instead of only caring about her country, she still traveled to third-world countries. She also didn't waste her fame, she used her fame to good use and gave the countries the help that they need.

Hepburn was inspirational because of how she treated others. Hepburn once said, "Politics has nothing to do with one's helping a dying child. Survival, that's what it's about. I think perhaps with time, instead of there being a politicization of humanitarian aid, there will be a humanization of politics"(Banerjee). Due to her childhood, she was moved to do the good samaritan acts when she was alive. This set good examples for people, as she is putting herself out there to show people that they can contribute to making a difference too. She also raised up fundraisers and promoted UNICEF's work (Banjeree). In addition, she was a good example for young people in our generation. She once said, "As you get older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself and one for helping others" (LL2C). Hepburn wanted to show young people that once you grow older you realize how much you can do with your own two hands. Hepburn showed people to the extent on how important it is to show affection be generous.She influenced people to make a difference and being selfless just by being herself. Her presence was strong enough to leave a mark on the world, that's why she is one of the most famous humanitarians in the public eye.

Audrey Hepburn was a hardworking and influential woman, who was selfless and cared about other people. To many people she truly is a hero. She went from poverty to fame (LL2C), She worked for UNICEF, helped thousands of people, and giving coverage to the countries that are in need. Hepburn inspires me because even after her death , she is still continuing to inspire people from what she has done in the past. She also showed young girls that they don't have to wear flashy clothing to be beautiful by wearing elegant and modest clothes. Audrey Hepburn is considered a hero for many reasons, whether as a good role model for young girls or a savior for most people. She did not waste her life doing nothing, she spent her lifetime trying to make a change and leaving a powerful statement to inspire people even after she died, her legacy goes on.

"Audrey Hepburn." - New World Encyclopedia. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Feb. 2016.

Banerjee, Aashna. "Why Audrey Hepburn Is a Role Model?" Respect Women. N.p., 25

June 2014. Web.

"Audrey Hepburn Timeline 1980 - 1993." Audrey Hepburn Timeline 1980 - 1993. N.p., n.d. Web.

12 Feb. 2016.

"A True Leader and Lady of the 20th Century: Audrey Hepburn." A True Leader and Lady of the

20th Century: Audrey Hepburn. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Feb. 2016.

Callo, Kathleen. "Tribute to the Humanitarian Work of Audrey Hepburn | Articles." Tribute to the

Humanitarian Work of Audrey Hepburn | Articles. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Feb. 2016.

Swartwood, Hannah. "Why Audrey Hepburn Should Be Your Inspiration." The Odyssey. N.p., 14

Dec. 2015. Web. 12 Feb. 2016.