Audrey Hepburn

by Emma from Riley

Audrey Hepburn posing for the cameras (https://astylesoiree.wordpress.com/2010/07/23/poem (unknown))

"The most important thing is to enjoy your life, to be happy, it's all that matters"(BrainyQuote). Audrey Hepburn is known by most people as "the fair lady" from her 1964 film "My Fair Lady." The movie shows the progression of Audrey Hepburn's character Eliza Doolittle. Her character started off as an ordinary girl who didn't mean anything to anyone else. But as the movie goes along she becomes an independent and exquisite woman. Eliza Doolittle represented Audrey Hepburn, how she had nothing when she was young but that than began her progression of becoming a woman. Her struggles became her success. Audrey Hepburn survived World War II, while sending messages for the rebellion which would later lead her to helping third world countries.

Audrey Hepburn survived from the misery and the pain of World War II. During this time she and her family lived in Holland. The Germans had moved forward to the Dutch's borders on May 10, 1940 (BBC). The Germans then had removed their food source. Audrey and her family as well as everyone else who had lived in Holland had to survive on tulip bulbs. Their food wasn't the only thing taken away from them, the Germans also had taken away their water and electricity. The children of Holland including Audrey Hepburn suffered from Jaundice, Anemia, Chronic Blood Disorder and malnutrition. Not only had she suffered from blood diseases she also suffered from the loss of her family members. Her uncle, and cousin were both shot by the Germans. She had also had to deal with her brother being sent to Germany in a labor camp. Audrey Hepburn suffered from starvation, and grief and yet she survived. Not only did she survive from the Germans wrath, she helped send messages to the rebellion against the Germans.

As the Germans were taking over Audrey Hepburn helped send messages to the rebellion against them. Audrey Hepburn wanted the Germans to be defeated, so she would ride her bicycle to deliver the messages. The Germans never suspected her to be helping the resistance as she was only a kid. So, Audrey could easily get past the German Troops and send the messages. To hide the messages she would put them in her ballet shoes because at the time she wanted to be a dancer (BBC).She risked her life for the rebellion, for the sake of everyone who was suffering from the Germans. Audrey Hepburn sent messages to the rebellion to succeed in the goal of taking down the Germans, her experiences for World War II led her to helping third world countries.

Audrey Hepburn holding a starving Somali child (https://quotesgram.com/unicef-audrey-hepburn-quote (unknown))

After Audrey's near death experiences she wanted to help those who were suffering from starvation. She wanted to help those who were in misery as she had been in World War II. Audrey was the special ambassador of the United Nations Children's Fund or also known as UNICEF. She and the organization helped raise funds to help third world countries. The last picture of Audrey was taken in Somalia. She had been taken to famine headquarters. Hepburn saw many lifeless bodies, but she said the worst part was the "terrible silence"(Schindehette). Audrey's struggles led her to help these children who had suffered as she had. That's what makes Audrey Hepburn a hero.

Audrey Hepburn had survived from the misery and despair of World War II. She helped send messages to the resistance, and those events led her to helping third world countries who had suffered from starvation and blood diseases as she did. She is a hero to many for her actions and the pain she had to go through. But also the happiness she gave to children around the world. Audrey Hepburn survived World War II while sending messages to the rebellion which then later led her to helping third world countries. "The most important thing is to enjoy your life, to be happy, it's all that matters"(BrainyQuote). Audrey Hepburn will always be remembered not just by her movies but by her actions and her struggles that led her to living a happy life.

A tribute to Audrey Hepburn, UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador - Audrey Hepburn worked hard to keep UNICEF going, to help children from all around the world
Audrey Hepburn - Audrey Hepburn''s website tells about her life and career you can donate to her children''s fund